Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Choppy games but high FPS after fresh install.

Skyyr

Hello there! So I have had my system about 5 years with no problems except one of my RAM slots seemingly died a year or so ago so I could only use the 3rd and 4th slot... But after all that time with space running low I decided to do a fresh install of windows, since then certain games have high FPS but feel real choppy, sometimes even dropping to frames they shouldn't, and some games are just outright unplayable, 20-50 FPS when I was getting 100+

I disable v-sync in all games, and have also disabled v-sync in the nvidia control panel, I also don't use G-sync. All drivers are installed from what I can tell, resolution in game is set to my monitor etc, I have checked all settings such as power and such, everything looks normal to me and i'm now stumped. Any advice would be appreciated, specs below with screenshots of the difference between two games.

Windows 10  x64 bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz

ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming

GeForce GTX 1080

Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop HDD/Hard Drive

24GB RAM, replaced one of the 8 sticks with a 16 after some slots died.

I have exhausted my efforts to fix whatever is happening. Also screenshots obviously cant show but the GPU/CPU Usage at at times fluctuates a LOT, CPU can be way higher than GPU and vice versa.

EDIT: In the DayZ screenshot I usually would have 100+ FPS there on mostly max settings, this screenshot was taken with literally everything turned low or disabled.

R5Apex_2020_05_14_19_44_00_705.thumb.jpg.f880464506fc7183ca1beccb80a59f4d.jpg20200514191120_1.thumb.jpg.dd84756b611f24cc8200df4dadfea49d.jpg

I'm not an expert so someone else will have to chime in on this but can you actually have an 8gb stick with a 16gb stick? aren't you supposed to use the same spec ram for dual configuration also with them using slots 2 and 4. Maybe something there is the problem. I'm guessing slot 2 is the one that is faulty?

I mean my system is picking up 24, and seems to be working, plus its only since wiping my system issues have arose, have had smooth non choppy game play for a year or two since the RAM issue, I don't think you need the same spec but you do need them in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 I think, I have no idea which died or went faulty, a friend came round to help as my system was overheating, we replaced the paste/good clean out etc and when we turned it back on a red light popped up near the ram, he tried all combinations of slots and only 1 and 2 would take both sticks so I just bought a 16 and put that next to the 8, no overheating since and everything was smooth, until this wipe.

Reinstalled RDR2 and Fallout 76 to test, prior to this issue both ran perfect, both are now running exactly like the DayZ SS.