Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Supermicro + AMD + NVMe Not working

j0n1

Hi everyone,

I have a problem that neither me nor supermicro support is able to solve.

I have a Supermicro H11SSL-NC with an AMD Epyc 7251 which has two onboard NVME ports.

I bought two WD SN630 which fail to work because sometimes they don't appear at all or lose connectivity during IO operation.

Supermicro support sayed it's probably the disks because they did not test these drives. They suggested using Samsung drives instead.. so full of hope I bought some Samsung PM 983 but they didn't work either.

So I bought a pcie extension nvme card and tried the drives with it. Didn't work either on the H11SSL-NC. Testing the drives with the extension card on an old X10SLA board worked perfectly.

In the end the support said that they actually don't support connecting the drives directly but only via their backplane (this information cannot be found anywhere in the manuals...)

Their last statement regard this was "The used drives are not validated, but currently no drive is.
Customer uses a direct attached cable, which the PM does not want to support, only disks connected to a supported backplane are supported.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar with Supermicro + AMD and has some solution?

10 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

Just RMA the server

I can only RMA the board to supermicro but what if it's a CPU problem or the new board doesn't work either. It's not a Supermicro server just the Mainboard is supermicro.

11 minutes ago, j0n1 said:

I can only RMA the board to supermicro but what if it's a CPU problem or the new board doesn't work either. It's not a Supermicro server just the Mainboard is supermicro.

RMA the board, get a board from a different manufacturer, and if the problem persists, get a new CPU

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

13 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

RMA the board, get a board from a different manufacturer, and if the problem persists, get a new CPU

This is almost an 3k build and I already spent additional 400 on disks that I don't need. Suggesting getting another board or CPU is not very helpful..

1 minute ago, j0n1 said:

This is almost an 3k build and I already spent additional 400 on disks that I don't need. Suggesting getting another board or CPU is not very helpful..

RMA means you get your money back (return) . My "get a new" I also mean RMA. Also, you can sell the disks on eBay. 

If SuperMicro told you to get those specific drives, and they don't work, you could also ask them for compensation.

20 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

Also try using Ubuntu and see if it works

Using Debian as OS, Ubuntu didn't work either.

6 minutes ago, j0n1 said:

Using Debian as OS, Ubuntu didn't work either

Try one last OS, if that doesn't work, its a Hardware problem : Try Win7 and Win10

do the drives have sufficient cooling they might trying to save themselves if they are overheating durring heavy workloads?