The Ole "Cheap Windows 10 Key" Topic

LewisBros

Hey guys, some of you are already typing before you read this but just hear me out. I've been doing research and can't determine the truth behind the "1-5 dollar Windows 10 Pro Activation Keys" on eBay. Some people say they are bought from other countries for cheap and resell them on eBay, others say that people steal credit cards and buy them in bulk and then resell them, and other people say they aren't legit or only work for a limited amount of time. I just want to buy a legit key that will last me for a while for a cheap price if that is possible. Anyone know the truth about these keys or maybe if the story is different for each of the sellers?

Simply put, cheap keys aren't legit. If they were, there wouldn't be 100+ dollar keys on Microsoft's website. 

The various resale sites can acquire keys from methods ranging from breaching terms of service by reselling from volume licenses, selling keys harvested from decommissioned devices, stealing credit cards, etc.

It is up to you to decide what is "acceptably legit" and what is not. I can say I have bought a key from ebay and it has been fine, they have a pretty solid buyer guarantee to protect you, and sticking to well-reviewed sellers always helps. I have also used say, kinguin, with success (as have others I know). I also took an old Windows 7 PC with a product key from a friend before and just used that key on activation, and that's been good as well. I guess I have also used Best Buy (probably not as cheap as you're looking for), and that worked too, for what it's worth. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

2 minutes ago, LewisBros said:

Anyone know the truth about these keys or maybe if the story is different for each of the sellers?

That's the thing, the story could be different for each seller, or they could all have gotten the keys using any or all of the different methods you mentioned. You never really know how they get the keys. The only way to be 100% sure that a key is legitimate, is to get it directly from Microsoft. 

13 hours ago, LewisBros said:

the story is different for each of the sellers

There's your answer. Just use PayPal in case something goes south. But generally, you should be fine. Do your research on the seller to make sure they're not a scammer.

But for what it's worth, you can buy off of a more legit place like G2A < link removed by staff >

Edited by LogicalDrm

I mean it's only a couple of bucks so from what you guys are saying I think I'm just going to buy one and see if it works because in the worst case scenario I can always send it back or, if not, it's only like 3 dollars so not much money wasted.

3 minutes ago, LewisBros said:

Hey guys, some of you are already typing before you read this but just hear me out. I've been doing research and can't determine the truth behind the "1-5 dollar Windows 10 Pro Activation Keys" on eBay. Some people say they are bought from other countries for cheap and resell them on eBay, others say that people steal credit cards and buy them in bulk and then resell them, and other people say they aren't legit or only work for a limited amount of time. I just want to buy a legit key that will last me for a while for a cheap price if that is possible. Anyone know the truth about these keys or maybe if the story is different for each of the sellers?

99.99% of the time, if the deal is too good to be true then the deal is too good to be true.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

A legit reseller Key is around 20$

I bought tons of different Keys from Kinguin.

No Issues at all.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I'm not proud, but I and many people I know have used these keys. No issues, just don't expect to get support from Microsoft, as those keys are meant for OEM builders that offer their own customer support.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

12 hours ago, Praesi said:

A legit reseller Key is around 20$

I bought tons of different Keys from Kinguin.

No Issues at all.

Thats bullshit and you know it. Legit prices are $90 for Home OEM, $120 for Pro OEM, $150 for Home retail and $200 for Pro retail. Anything cheaper, and there's something fishy going on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thats bullshit and you know it. Legit prices are $90 for Home OEM, $120 for Pro OEM, $150 for Home retail and $200 for Pro retail. Anything cheaper, and there's something fishy going on.

Those are working legit Keys. How and why is another Story and no Bullshit.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Those are working legit Keys. How and why is another Story and no Bullshit.

Keys might be, reseller sure aren't. If any of them can produce either MS certificate of authorized reseller, or other proof where the keys are from (dead prebuilds etc.), then we can talk about legit resellers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Working doesn't mean legit. Activators works too and they're not legit. Cracked games works and still are not legit. Working cheap key means pirated key that works, nothing more. It's up to you if you want to pay for thief, use crack or use real legit key from official reseller. Only third method is legit.

With the exception of Product Key Cards (PKC’s) distributed with COA’s, Microsoft does not distribute products keys as standalone products. If you see a listing on an auction site, online classified ad, or other online page advertising product keys for sale, it’s a good indication that the keys are likely stolen or counterfeit. If you were to purchase and use a stolen or counterfeit product key to activate Windows installed on your PC, the key may not work for activation, may already be in use on another PC, or it might be blocked from use later by Microsoft when the key is reported stolen. The best way to get everything you expect up front is to buy genuine Microsoft software preinstalled on a new PC or genuine Microsoft software from an authorized reseller.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/shop.aspx