Returning a Motherboard URGENT PLS

Hi all,

Cutting a long story short but my pc fell 2 years ago and i believe it broke the motherboard - only turns on for 3 secs then off (looking to actually do something about it and fix it now). I'm looking to buy a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard from amazon to test my parts (cpu, gpu etc) to see if they work. If they work i'll keep the mobo but if not i want to return the motherboard. Do you think i can return the mobo if i test my parts on it? 

Pls help thnx 

You should be able to... no problem! Just tell them you’ve had a change of mind or that it doesn’t suit your purpose.

Thank you for getting back to me! Would they be like no we can see you have booted it up? 

and the seller on amazon is MSI themselves lol 

Just now, harryc5 said:

Thank you for getting back to me! Would they be like no we can see you have booted it up? 

Usually no. If you can I'd buy from a physical store (MIcro Centre or Fry's) because returns are much easier if one is near you

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Damn, unfortunately, in the UK, we don't have shops like that - so infuriating... do you think it is wise that i chance it? 

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Fry's

Sadly, frys is not a viable option anymore

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

13 minutes ago, harryc5 said:

Hi all,

Cutting a long story short but my pc fell 2 years ago and i believe it broke the motherboard - only turns on for 3 secs then off (looking to actually do something about it and fix it now). I'm looking to buy a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard from amazon to test my parts (cpu, gpu etc) to see if they work. If they work i'll keep the mobo but if not i want to return the motherboard. Do you think i can return the mobo if i test my parts on it? 

Pls help thnx 

Yes, just don't scratch or damage the board in any way, and return it in the exact same condition it came to you in. Use the exact same shipping box and packing material. Your CPU is almost a sure bet to be fine, your RAM is probably fine unless the board cracked underneath it. The GPU may or may not be fully up and running, and any mechanical hard drives you have could be worse for the wear.

Haven you checked all of your connections in your old PC? If a PSU cable was knocked loose, a stick of RAM was jolted out, something like that, your system probably still works fine. The first thing to be before buying anything, imo, is to take it apart and breadboard it on an open table so you can inspect all the components and see them run (or not) before deciding on what you need. I'd bet you something was knocked loose and would work fine if tested now.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Yes, just don't scratch or damage the board in any way, and return it in the exact same condition it came to you in. Use the exact same shipping box and packing material. Your CPU is almost a sure bet to be fine, your RAM is probably fine unless the board cracked underneath it. The GPU may or may not be fully up and running, and any mechanical hard drives you have could be worse for the wear.

Haven you checked all of your connections in your old PC? If a PSU cable was knocked loose, a stick of RAM was jolted out, something like that, your system probably still works fine. The first thing to be before buying anything, imo, is to take it apart and breadboard it on an open table so you can inspect all the components and see them run (or not) before deciding on what you need. I'd bet you something was knocked loose and would work fine if tested now.

Cheers for the advice - I really appreciate it! From recollection, I pushed all wires etc in. When it happened, I took my rig to some 'PC guy'. Most of the time, when you try to turn, it on it wouldn't boot, but he found that when you flexed the board a little bit, it would turn on (no GPU fans would boot on however (Radeon RX 580 8gb)). There was no input onto the screen or anything either. I think instead of being impatient and wanting to order a mobo, I will do what you suggested and video the results and post them on here. Hopefully it'll help everyones quarantine lol 

8 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Knock it over the other way, whatever has come loose may get pushed back in ;)

If only that was true. If it was, I would fall on my head the other way and not get brain damage ;) 

Just now, harryc5 said:

Cheers for the advice - I really appreciate it! From recollection, I pushed all wires etc in. When it happened, I took my rig to some 'PC guy'. Most of the time, when you try to turn, it on it wouldn't boot, but he found that when you flexed the board a little bit, it would turn on (no GPU fans would boot on however (Radeon RX 580 8gb)). There was no input onto the screen or anything either. I think instead of being impatient and wanting to order a mobo, I will do what you suggested and video the results and post them on here. Hopefully it'll help everyones quarantine lol 

Sounds like the CPU cooler could have yanked on the board hard enough to crack it. I wouldn't bother trying to salvage or even power on the old board now. Damage to a voltage sense could shove 12v right up your CPU.

8 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Sounds like the CPU cooler could have yanked on the board hard enough to crack it. I wouldn't bother trying to salvage or even power on the old board now. Damage to a voltage sense could shove 12v right up your CPU.

Shit, I attempted to boot it on many times after it happened. I don't think I have a local shop to test my parts, am I safe to say they key components like GPU and/ or CPU are fucked? 

1 minute ago, harryc5 said:

Shit, I attempted to boot it on many times after it happened. I don't think I have a local shop to test my parts, am I safe to say they key components like GPU and/ or CPU are fucked? 

Chances are they're fine if nothing went up in smoke, but if flexing the board changed it's behaviour it's probably safe to assume it's got a crack down it somewhere.

If I did buy a mobo, is it possible that fault parts can break the mobo too?

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Chances are they're fine if nothing went up in smoke, but if flexing the board changed it's behaviour it's probably safe to assume it's got a crack down it somewhere.

1 minute ago, harryc5 said:

If I did buy a mobo, is it possible that fault parts can break the mobo too?

Unlikely, I had a graphics card catch fire, twice. Never harmed the board.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Unlikely, I had a graphics card catch fire, twice. Never harmed the board.

Well CP, i have just ordered it 1 min to midnight. Hopefully with next day delivery, it comes tomorrow. I will let you know if it worked... thanks for all your help (and everyone else's on the thread) 

7 minutes ago, harryc5 said:

Well CP, i have just ordered it 1 min to midnight. Hopefully with next day delivery, it comes tomorrow. I will let you know if it worked... thanks for all your help (and everyone else's on the thread) 

If you decide to return it, make sure you choose "changed my mind" and eat the cost of return shipping. Amazon will negatively mark your account for everything you return as defective with free return shipping if it turns out to be functional. If it happens enough times, they ban your address permanently. Just be honest when you return it.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 hours ago, harryc5 said:

Most of the time, when you try to turn, it on it wouldn't boot, but he found that when you flexed the board a little bit, it would turn on

Yikes, sorry, that sounds like an “F to pay respects” situation. 

3 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

If you decide to return it, make sure you choose "changed my mind" and eat the cost of return shipping. Amazon will negatively mark your account for everything you return as defective with free return shipping if it turns out to be functional. If it happens enough times, they ban your address permanently. Just be honest when you return it.

Ehhhhhh... that’s about 1/4 true. Amazon hardly even tests things that come back. 90% of the time, they go straight to Amazon Warehouse or a liquidator. The return abuse thing is more there to catch people who are being paid to review things, then returning them afterwards.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

22 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Oh my fucking god. You’re right. EVERYTHING IS FINE