Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New router suggestions? (NOOB ALERT)

Hi everyone, so I'm looking to buy a new router for the first time in probably over 7 years. Suffice to say, I have no clue what I'm looking for lol. I need something that will be powerful enough for a medium size house and about 5-6 connected devices but not always at once. I need something that will be enough to handle gaming/HD video streaming simultaneously. PLEASE HELP

1 minute ago, RGBisKey said:

Hi everyone, so I'm looking to buy a new router for the first time in probably over 7 years. Suffice to say, I have no clue what I'm looking for lol. I need something that will be powerful enough for a medium size house and about 5-6 connected devices but not always at once. I need something that will be enough to handle gaming/HD video streaming simultaneously. PLEASE HELP

That almost any router can handle the key to those things is your ISP and internet speeds

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

15 hours ago, Kanna said:

That almost any router can handle the key to those things is your ISP and internet speeds

I get like 10Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. I have no clue if that's good or not lol. The test said it was typical

1 minute ago, RGBisKey said:

I get like 10Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. I have no clue if that's good or not lol. The test said it was typical

It's okay speeds but not a good standard you should upgrade the speeds by talking with your ISP

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 hour ago, RGBisKey said:

What speeds are you paying for?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: CM ML240R  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

14 hours ago, Kanna said:

It's okay speeds but not a good standard you should upgrade the speeds by talking with your ISP

That's with a few devices connected at the moment so its probably not exact. Also, I'm on the other side of the house while testing

15 hours ago, Statik said:

What speeds are you paying for?

To be honest with you, I don't have that info. I'm looking to get this router for my parents as my mom is currently working from home

Just now, RGBisKey said:

To be honest with you, I don't have that info. I'm looking to get this router for my parents as my mom is currently working from home

Well what is the current router? Since that router may be good but the internet speeds makes so the router can't work full potential

Reminder⚠️

Like @Kanna said, I'd look into what your speeds are. If you're paying for 10down/10up you're probably good, and are just limited by your ISP's plan, but if you're paying for 100down/25up you have an issue.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: CM ML240R  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

2 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

That router is capable of higher speeds so really no big need to upgrade but the ISP speed plan should be looked into

Reminder⚠️

14 hours ago, Kanna said:

That router is capable of higher speeds so really no big need to upgrade but the ISP speed plan should be looked into

I'll have to look into it. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get in touch with my ISP 🙄

I'll have to look into it. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get in touch with my ISP 🙄

Check the monthly bill from your ISP.

9 hours ago, RGBisKey said:

If that's the total speed for your house, it really isn't a desirable speed for working from home particularly if multiple people are using the internet at the same time. I would consider upgrading internet plan first.

Which family member configures your home internet? Is any kind of speed limits / prioritisation implemented?

As for the router, my experience has been that using separate devices for modem and router (i.e. don't just use one modem/router combo device) can really help with the reliability of home network.

Depending on how your internet is connect to the household, potentially you can first try getting a cheap/spare modem router and configure it as a modem only and configure you current router as router only. <== if this is already how you home setup is then nevermind.

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16
MSI RX5700 Gaming X (flashed with XT BIOS)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)
LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide FreeSync 40-75Hz variable refresh rate

Ducky One 2 Skyline full size with Cherry Brown
Logitech G602

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)