Are 4k monitors kinda a scam?

dwyrin

So, I've wanted to dive into 4k gaming on PC, but want that sweet HDR for content watching.  Thus, I've been delving into the wonderful world of monitors.  However, it seems you have a few choices and many of them... seem questionable.  For example; there is the class of cheap 4k monitors with extremely low peak brightness that 'mislead' about their HDR.  Then you have the high end hdr1000 but, many of them seem to be based off the same panel with noise problems from the internal fan that increases over the lifespan of the monitor.  As a content creator, noisy fan is a no no.  

I realize many people just use TV's at this point and call it a day.  And i had considered that as well.  However, as its for a PC which is in use across a standard sized desk, a 43in+ tv doesn't seem like a good choice as you'd be constantly turning your head during games and when viewing content which just does not seem practical at all.

So... is there a nice true HDR monitor out there that doesn't have noise issues and that's under 2 grand?  Note: do not require a high refresh rate, but would consider one if it's the only option.  Or is the PC market just not there yet?

Thanks for your time to whoever replies!

4k monitors are not a "scam" but it does sort of seem to hang one generation behind TVs. I am guessing it's because there is more money in TVs, but not sure.

Also, keep in mind that 200 backlight zones is probably harder to design in monitors than a TV because it's smaller, not sure tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

You're basically asking for something that only targets professionals, who also want accurate color calibration and the high brightness etc that result in high prices.

You do find many "4K" monitors with good HDR and in your price range, but... they're pretty much all ultrawide since that's what manufacturers have managed to push all the rest of the market (mostly gamers) into.

BTW, I use a 49" TV as monitor on my desk. Love the massive area and immersion in games.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Because TV's sell so much better than computer monitors, companies are able to mass produce them much more easily and pour more resources into R&D and streamlining production, thus lower prices.

We are at a strange time that PC Monitors are.

• Lower Quality
  • Smaller
  • More Expensive\

This is the reason I moved over to an LG OLED TV as my monitor. It's expensive, for sure, but at this price, no computer monitor can even hope to touch it, no matter how expensive the monitor is. At this point, the only reason to get a computer monitor is because you want something smaller than a TV. Full stop.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air