Intel - cry cry cry (Latest fastest HDET?)

A while ago I posted about the latest/greatest HDET to which seemed to be 10980XE at the time.

Moving forward and with recent announcements(?) from Intel - is that still the latest core extreme? Anything faster and more efficient?

I'm beginning to become desperate to upgrading my entire system, which works great but need more system memory and mobo only supports up to 24GB and cannot upgrade the mobo as the CPU is too old an i7 extreme and wouldn't make sense if I also want to upgrade to latest and greatest Intel HDET CPU).

For what I am using it for at this point is irrelevant. I can say a heavy enterprise software engineer and running VM's as well as video editing too, from time to time with the odd game here and there.

Thoughts? Intel is the only option for me due to loyalty and trust as well as maturity but seems the loyalty may soon be wearing off :(

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Why confine yourself to Intel HEDT?

Try Epyc?

As I said, loyalty and maturity :)

But who knows.

And since we are on the subject, what is the best mobo for such an Intel CPU with lots of SATA ports and also high system memory support (at least 64GB)

maybe it's meaningless to be loyal without being reasonable, dude...

CPU: i7 4790K OC 4.7GHz @1.275V

MOBO: ASUS Z87-PLUS
RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS DDR3 8Gx2 1600MHz OC 2133MHz (11-12-12-32)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

4 hours ago, AhmedIlyas said:

As I said, loyalty and maturity

Loyalty to a brand (that I'm sure doesn't give two cold shits about it ) is bad and maturity what do you mean by that lol ?

If anything AMD is the more mature company out of both for actually making a product and not ignoring competition 

If you mean maturity in the sense of quality and refined products

Well if they were all "nicey" and "branded" 

Intel wouldn't release the same product 3 times in a row with a different name 

Just go with epyc 

Way more pcie lanes 

A better platform 

And more than 18 cores to be had 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Meh, we can argue about that :)

I mean platform maturity and stability.

Just now, AhmedIlyas said:

Meh, we can argue about that :)

I mean platform maturity and stability.

yea we can argue about that 

stability in both of these platforms are not far from each other 

do you want me to bring melt down and zombie load to the conversation LMAO

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

12 hours ago, The_russian said:

The 10980XE is still the best in the HEDT lineup. 

Teeeechnically kinda no. W3175X is a workstation/HEDT thing based off server stuff. Hexa channel memory vs quad, more cores. It's also incredibly expensive and if you run it at anything above stock.... well there's a reason guys buy chillers. 

If you're loyal to Intel then the 10980XE and W3175X are the best options for high core counts. If you don't mind AMD then the Threadripper 3000 series is really solid. @Den-Fi is running it now (and has ran TR since it launched I think?), he can give more info on how they behave. But I haven't seen any buzz about issues with them like there were for Zen/Zen+ generations, or even Zen 2 on mainstream. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Teeeechnically kinda no. W3175X is a workstation/HEDT thing based off server stuff. Hexa channel memory vs quad, more cores. It's also incredibly expensive and if you run it at anything above stock.... well there's a reason guys buy chillers. 

I’m not saying the W3175X isn’t better than the 10980XE. Technically the W3175X is a Xeon chip, not a HEDT chip, which is why I said the 10980XE was the current best HEDT cpu.

49 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I’m not saying the W3175X isn’t better than the 10980XE. Technically the W3175X is a Xeon chip, not a HEDT chip, which is why I said the 10980XE was the current best HEDT cpu.

That would be true, but this is Intel. They put them in the same product segment: 
517410966_ScreenShot2020-05-13at2_56_15PM.thumb.png.a610bb1b4307e3c8b24ffc258a0342e0.png

1607017581_ScreenShot2020-05-13at2_56_00PM.thumb.png.78248faaa5789555276647ade5927c5b.png

Whereas Xeon Golds and such from the same Skylake group are specifically labeled as Server parts. Thus differentiating them from HEDT. Though that line gets even blurrier since a lot of Workstation (which is another segment separate from Server, Desktop, and Mobile) Xeons and Server Xeons can work in Desktop chipset mobos. Such as the best OCable CPUs for X58 being Server Xeons, or for X79, again Server Xeons (specifically the 1680 v2) - and both of these chipsets are HEDT chipsets, separate from mainstream and closer to server stuff.

It gets double wack because the 9900K and other mainstream parts are in the Desktop segment as well, so there's not specific segment label for HEDT. But TLDR, the W3175X is definitely not a server specific part. It's much closer to actual HEDT, though if memory serves correctly, it runs on server chipsets. But the boards available to consumers with said chipsets and OC capabilities are quite far from a server board (see the Dominus and SR-3), so bleh. It's an HEDT chip, and it annoys me that everyone forgets it exists. Even if it is insanely expensive and a bit funky, it's an Intel HEDT option with higher core counts and memory bandwidth than X299, and is also a more recent platform (though the 10980XE is a more recent CPU). 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

That would be true, but this is Intel. They put them in the same product segment: 
517410966_ScreenShot2020-05-13at2_56_15PM.thumb.png.a610bb1b4307e3c8b24ffc258a0342e0.png

1607017581_ScreenShot2020-05-13at2_56_00PM.thumb.png.78248faaa5789555276647ade5927c5b.png

Whereas Xeon Golds and such from the same Skylake group are specifically labeled as Server parts. Thus differentiating them from HEDT. Though that line gets even blurrier since a lot of Workstation (which is another segment separate from Server, Desktop, and Mobile) Xeons and Server Xeons can work in Desktop chipset mobos. Such as the best OCable CPUs for X58 being Server Xeons, or for X79, again Server Xeons (specifically the 1680 v2) - and both of these chipsets are HEDT chipsets, separate from mainstream and closer to server stuff.

It gets double wack because the 9900K and other mainstream parts are in the Desktop segment as well, so there's not specific segment label for HEDT. But TLDR, the W3175X is definitely not a server specific part. It's much closer to actual HEDT, though if memory serves correctly, it runs on server chipsets. But the boards available to consumers with said chipsets and OC capabilities are quite far from a server board (see the Dominus and SR-3), so bleh. It's an HEDT chip, and it annoys me that everyone forgets it exists. Even if it is insanely expensive and a bit funky, it's an Intel HEDT option with higher core counts and memory bandwidth than X299, and is also a more recent platform (though the 10980XE is a more recent CPU). 

i think we can all agree intel sucks in their attempt to differentiate  between 2066 and 1151 and 3647 Lmao  

Build Log: 

XEON W (also known as workstation designated) is a standard Intel has been using for almost a decade.  They exist on every platform, and are the best bins from the server line repurposed for single user workstations with higher clockspeeds, power requirements and prices.  These chips (like the W-3175X) are explicitly for desktops, and thus fall withing HEDT/High end desk top

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

i think we can all agree intel sucks in their attempt to differentiate  between 2066 and 1151 and 3647 Lmao  

Yes. The W-3175X is a Desktop part, but the W-3275 is Workstation: 

406915120_ScreenShot2020-05-13at3_14_31PM.thumb.png.2bd9dbd71ee7e8c14180ede049195078.png

What is the "W-" in W-3175X for then 🤔

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

XEON W (also known as workstation designated) is a standard Intel has been using for almost a decade.  They exist on every platform, and are the best bins from the server line repurposed for single user workstations with higher clockspeeds, power requirements and prices.  These chips (like the W-3175X) are explicitly for desktops, and thus fall withing HEDT/High end desk top

See above lmao. But yes, the Workstation parts would also be what we call HEDT, which has always been big boye hardware but not actually Server stuff. Intel just needs to add a damn HEDT tag and not put the wrong prefixes on CPUs 😂

Main PC 

Is it worth waiting for the 10nm? What benefit would it bring?

9 hours ago, AhmedIlyas said:

Is it worth waiting for the 10nm? What benefit would it bring?

No it's not 

Intel said that 10nm is less profitable than even 22nm so it's unlikely they will continue 

Build Log: 

17 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

yea we can argue about that 

stability in both of these platforms are not far from each other 

do you want me to bring melt down and zombie load to the conversation LMAO

don't know about that though - actually heard a lot of cases of AMD BIOS and driver bug (yes, that exist in CPU world too), in one severe case it even brick the motherboard 

for consumer market it's probably fine to take a bit of a risk but if you're running buisness, not sure if I want to be put up with that (most will also assume it's unsafe until proven otherwise) 

1 minute ago, e22big said:

don't know about that though - actually heard a lot of cases of AMD BIOS and driver bug (yes, that exist in CPU world too), in one severe case it even brick the motherboard 

for consumer market it's probably fine to take a bit of a risk but if you're running buisness, not sure if I want to put up with that (most will also assume it's unsafe until proven otherwise) 

Yea I'm not saying amd is the good guy in this situation all the time they do have their problems in stability but what I'm saying is Intel is not better in this situation and using the argument "Intel is better because of stability" doesn't mean anything

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

No it's not 

Intel said that 10nm is less profitable than even 22nm so it's unlikely they will continue 

ofcourse.. they cant set prices like 3billion usd for the cheapest cpu so yeah

34 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

using the argument "Intel is better because of stability" doesn't mean anything

In a business case it actually means quite a lot.  There is a reason that many OEM's do not just up and switch to AMD in their business targeted products.  And it has nothing to do with being paid off or black mailed by Intel.   We know full well that Ryzen based CPU's kick arse, but the problem is they haven't been without issue long enough to have any massive take off on the corporate side of things.  People don't just uproot their xeon based servers in favor of a cheaper epyc until the cheaper epyc has some road mileage under it's belt and the guy (who's arse goes on the line for making the switch) is confident it won't come back to bit him on said arse.

It isn't about what happens right now in our desktops that business looks at, it's long term figures.  Ryzen is only 4 years old and epyc has only begun to be deployed in servers in the last two years.  That's not much time at all for appraising many IT systems.  The other thing is, things like meltdown and spectre aren't viewed in business circles the same way they are in enthusiasts forums.  Business looks at it as just another part of doing business,  it's par for the course that stuff like that happens, it could happen to any part in the system at anytime regardless of vendor or their experience.  The things that they do actively worry about and try to avoid are memory issues,  hardware incompatibility, update issues, the things that are product specific more so than others. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 hours ago, mr moose said:

In a business case it actually means quite a lot.  There is a reason that many OEM's do not just up and switch to AMD in their business targeted products.  And it has nothing to do with being paid off or black mailed by Intel.   We know full well that Ryzen based CPU's kick arse, but the problem is they haven't been without issue long enough to have any massive take off on the corporate side of things.  People don't just uproot their xeon based servers in favor of a cheaper epyc until the cheaper epyc has some road mileage under it's belt and the guy (who's arse goes on the line for making the switch) is confident it won't come back to bit him on said arse.

It isn't about what happens right now in our desktops that business looks at, it's long term figures.  Ryzen is only 4 years old and epyc has only begun to be deployed in servers in the last two years.  That's not much time at all for appraising many IT systems.  The other thing is, things like meltdown and spectre aren't viewed in business circles the same way they are in enthusiasts forums.  Business looks at it as just another part of doing business,  it's par for the course that stuff like that happens, it could happen to any part in the system at anytime regardless of vendor or their experience.  The things that they do actively worry about and try to avoid are memory issues,  hardware incompatibility, update issues, the things that are product specific more so than others. 

Not to mention that the fixed cost for uprooting the already established server infrasture is far more than just a desktop PC - often involved physical renovation as well. It's not that easy to just go buy a new system like in consumer desktop. 

Although if AMD keep this kind of pricing in tact I got the feelign that some of the new buildt business or those who just happen to phase out their system will bite the bullet and give them a chance. However it will most likely take years before most considered them a proven player in the business.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:12 PM, AhmedIlyas said:

best mobo for such an Intel CPU

I think this is probably the best

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Rampage-VI-Extreme-Encore/

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica