need help with what to look for in motherboard

building system soon (i hope). going to use 3300x most likely. gtx 1650 super. 500gb-1tb m.2 nvme ssd for all storage, don't think i'll need more than that. want wifi because room doesn't have ethernet yet. bluetooth as well. i'm new to pc's so don't understand much of the spec listings to help figure out which board to get. working with a tight budget. any tips tricks or specific board suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

4 minutes ago, DontJoshme said:

building system soon (i hope). going to use 3300x most likely. gtx 1650 super. 500gb-1tb m.2 nvme ssd for all storage, don't think i'll need more than that. want wifi because room doesn't have ethernet yet. bluetooth as well. i'm new to pc's so don't understand much of the spec listings to help figure out which board to get. working with a tight budget. any tips tricks or specific board suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Are You planning to Over Clock?

For a motherboard, all you really care about is the size and the power-delivery system (called the VRM) -- Other than that if you're building a standard PC you really have no worries if you're buying from a well-known brand.

I have a motherboard tier list in my signature, and you should aim to get at least a tier C motherboard so that you have the headroom to upgrade to a higher-end CPU a few years down the road.

Another thing to note is that B550 (a new motherboard chipset supporting new features like PCI-e gen 4 and better upgradeability) is coming very soon, so you might want to wait until you can get a B550 for those better features.

If you give me a budget and country, I can make you a good-value parts list.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, Spencer11 said:

Are You planning to Over Clock?

no not planning to over clock. that would only be a small possibility at the end of the cpu's life if trying to put off an uprade.

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

For a motherboard, all you really care about is the size and the power-delivery system (called the VRM) -- Other than that if you're building a standard PC you really have no worries if you're buying from a well-known brand.

I have a motherboard tier list in my signature, and you should aim to get at least a tier C motherboard so that you have the headroom to upgrade to a higher-end CPU a few years down the road.

Another thing to note is that B550 (a new motherboard chipset supporting new features like PCI-e gen 4 and better upgradeability) is coming very soon, so you might want to wait until you can get a B550 for those better features.

If you give me a budget and country, I can make you a good-value parts list.

in US. Budget was initially trying for $500ish but the 1600af going out of a sensible price point has moved me to the 3300x and a rising budget. don't really want to wait for b550 to become available. system will mostly be for gaming hoping for 1080p @ 60fps. 

2 hours ago, DontJoshme said:

in US. Budget was initially trying for $500ish but the 1600af going out of a sensible price point has moved me to the 3300x and a rising budget. don't really want to wait for b550 to become available. system will mostly be for gaming hoping for 1080p @ 60fps. 

IMO go for a cheap b450 board, such as the ASRock b450(m) pro4, and then factor in the price for a cheap wifi and bluetooth adapter. Then find a motherboard that has both and compare the price

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9