£600 PC Build for 1080p gaming - What GPU?

SM Phoo

Budget (including currency): £600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Apex, CS:GO and other FPS games

Other details:

Hey guys, I've got a friend wanting to hop over to the PC side of gaming. For her first, she's looking to spend around £600 on the tower. I'll build it up for her so we don't mind buying some parts used to squeeze as much performance as we can. I'll assume right now the 3300X is the obvious CPU to go for, and I guess 8GB of ram will be adequate.

It's mostly just the GPU. I'm struggling to find what would be the right one to go for.

She's going to get a 1080p 144hz monitor, so we'd like to get the best out of it we can.

Thanks guys

AMD's 570 is a great value if you can't afford to put something stronger in the budget. If you can manage it, a 1650 super or 1660 super would be good options too.

Pizza is the best food group

with a budget like this i cant guarantee a constant 144 fps maybe if you played on low idk i dont play apex, csgo will probably be at least 100 average

pc specs:

Spoiler

r5 3600
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

b450 tomahawk max
rx 6600xt

1tb ssd + 6tb hdd
meshify c
750w dragon or something psu idk

6 hours ago, m0oble said:

with a budget like this i cant guarantee a constant 144 fps maybe if you played on low idk i dont play apex, csgo will probably be at least 100 average

Thanks for thats.

To be honest, if thats a new price, it means I can squeeze a bit extra with some used parts. I'll use this as a guide

On 5/13/2020 at 6:33 AM, SM Phoo said:

Thanks for thats.

To be honest, if thats a new price, it means I can squeeze a bit extra with some used parts. I'll use this as a guide

i'd prefer waiting until b550 motherboards come out as well

pc specs:

Spoiler

r5 3600
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

b450 tomahawk max
rx 6600xt

1tb ssd + 6tb hdd
meshify c
750w dragon or something psu idk

get this and get a used gpu. you should be able to find a rx590 or a 1660 or a 1070 for the remaining £165

On 5/12/2020 at 9:50 PM, m0oble said:

This list needs serious refining. Not to insult, I just wouldn't buy this way if I were the OP.

I would look at a similar motherboard performance for half the price, since the Pro 4 can basically handle a stock 3900X.

The A400 is basically the worst SSD on the market. Look anywhere. 

The UK has incredible case prices right now. There is no reason to spend 12% of the build budget on a poorly cooled case, that;s not doing anything for performance.

Here is where I would land:

• You could save a hot penny by grabbing the Ryzen 5 1600AF. It's a touch slower in singler core, but a great budget option that would bring the total pretty much right at $600 as well.
  • Pro4 is a tried and true budget board. Great VRM for the price.
  • The P1 happens to be similarly priced to many of the SATA SSDs you might actually consider. I think it's a good snag, and you can always grab HDDs later if space starts to tighten.
  • Case is largely up to the buyer. This one may not be great quality, but it looks nice, includes 3 RGB fans with some venting, and has a PSU cage... So it's not going to be bad to build in.
On 5/12/2020 at 6:07 PM, SM Phoo said:

It's mostly just the GPU. I'm struggling to find what would be the right one to go for.

Nothing wrong with going used. If you look on UK Ebay, I'd say the best you're looking at in budget is a GTX 1070 (Which is a great card for 1080p.) Used they seem to be going for about 225 on avg.

I suggest then, grabbing the 1660 Super for the same price. You'll have the warranty benefits of a new piece with the price and performance basically the same: