Putting a pc into a ps2 fat shell

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
13 minutes ago, Mikey2020uk said:

Budget (including currency): tbc

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi all. I'm hoping you guys might be able to help. 

I've got a shuttle sz87r6 with an i5 4570, 16gb ram, 500w psu and gtx 770. No cd drive. It works perfectly for what want (gaming at medium settings ish, Web, media etc). It's a nice case but I'm also a big retro gaming fan. 

What do you think of how well I could put this into a ps2 fat shell? The psu would be an issue I suspect, and potentially the gtx 770 too because of their size. 

Hopefully someone or a few people could give me a few pointers on how to fix the mother board safely inside (assuming it's small enough), and the gfx card too. If the gfx card is too big, I will measure for a low profile 1050ti. But what can I do about the psu? 

Any other points to consider? Thank you in advance

Mike

You'll have to do an external psu. There's been a lot of attempts at ps2 pc's but basically it comes down to having to make so many extra holes in it for ventilation that it stops looking like one.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I've got a shuttle sz87r6 with an i5 4570, 16gb ram, 500w psu and gtx 770. No cd drive. It works perfectly for what want (gaming at medium settings ish, Web, media etc). It's a nice case but I'm also a big retro gaming fan. 

What do you think of how well I could put this into a ps2 fat shell? The psu would be an issue I suspect, and potentially the gtx 770 too because of their size. 

Hopefully someone or a few people could give me a few pointers on how to fix the mother board safely inside (assuming it's small enough), and the gfx card too. If the gfx card is too big, I will measure for a low profile 1050ti. But what can I do about the psu? 

Mike

13 minutes ago, Mikey2020uk said:

Mike

You'll have to do an external psu. There's been a lot of attempts at ps2 pc's but basically it comes down to having to make so many extra holes in it for ventilation that it stops looking like one.

General suggestion:  google “PS2 case mods” and see what people have done.

doing such a google I got this thread

Maybe pm the OP.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The best way to figure out component placement is to model it, but if that isn't an option mocking everything up out of paper or cardboard or whatnot can help you visualize how much space you need versus how much you have in the phat PS2

I can't find much info on that shuttle but it seems the motherboard is mini dtx-ish? You definitely need a smaller cpu cooler for sure, and likely a different psu if you want it internal.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

Seems very likely I'll need to buy an external psu. Any suggestions? 

I'll order a broken ps2 I can gut and measure up. Thanks so far 

18 minutes ago, Mikey2020uk said:

Seems very likely I'll need to buy an external psu. Any suggestions? 

I'll order a broken ps2 I can gut and measure up. Thanks so far 

depends on what psu you chose. most dc-atx boards take either 12v or 19.5v - if it's the latter just find a compatible laptop brick and if it's the former 12v meanwell or delta PSUs are my go to.

Hi

I was hoping to find a psu with all the connectors ready to go. I'm doubtful I'd have the electrical skills to use a generic laptop power supply and adapt it. 

Any tips on brand or type of psu to search for? 

I'll have a look at a small cooler too. Any suggestions that would fit a i5 4570 socket? 

4 hours ago, Mikey2020uk said:

Hi

I was hoping to find a psu with all the connectors ready to go. I'm doubtful I'd have the electrical skills to use a generic laptop power supply and adapt it. 

Any tips on brand or type of psu to search for? 

PicoPSU or HD-Plex will do the conversion for you. You buy a laptop brick and one of the dc-atx boards and you'll be good to go.

4 hours ago, Mikey2020uk said:

I'll have a look at a small cooler too. Any suggestions that would fit a i5 4570 socket? 

What height? PCPP does a pretty good job when you sort by height but the general consensus is NH-L9 series for smallest reasonable cooler. If you go bigger you start having a lot more choices.

Thanks all. 

I will do some more research on this. Much more complex than I expected