Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need a cooler for an i5 7400...

Hello everyone, I need some help.  I am planning on buying this processor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSTDS3N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A23NVCSO4PYH3S&psc=1 and putting it in a computer that currently has an i3 6100.  In the description of the i5 7400 it says it does not come with a cooler.  I understand it would probably be best to get a new CPU cooler rather than use the one I currently have, and I need one that does not require me to remove the motherboard to install a base underneath.  Any suggestions?  Needs to be a low profile and compact cooler, preferrably the size of an Intel stock cooler.  Nothing fancy, purely functional.

RX 5700 XT | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB RAM | 1TB SSD | ASUS PRIME X570 PRO

1 minute ago, galdirvostet said:

Hello everyone, I need some help.  I am planning on buying this processor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSTDS3N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A23NVCSO4PYH3S&psc=1 and putting it in a computer that currently has an i3 6100.  In the description of the i5 7400 it says it does not come with a cooler.  I understand it would probably be best to get a new CPU cooler rather than use the one I currently have, and I need one that does not require me to remove the motherboard to install a base underneath.  Any suggestions?

Don't buy it. That 208$ for a i5. You can literally buy a 3300x + board and get something that is so much better.

Please don't waste your money on that chip, you can get so much more out of a budget AMD chip + motherboard for less money.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Nope.  They used to make cooler clips that did what you want.  They sucked really hard.  They were a gigantic pita and worse than removing the motherboard in the first place.  They existed for lga775, and might have existed up to lga1151.  I do not support their use though because they’re awful.  Arctic cooling did some replacement parts that were not as bad as the intel parts (the intel stuff bends and breaks when you try to install it) but they still weren’t good.

is this a case where it is actually IMPOSSIBLE to remove the mobo? Or just annoying?  If so,   I suspect use of a backplate will actually be less annoying.  At which point one might as well go ryzen.  So it’s not just more money, it’s more trouble too. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, galdirvostet said:

I am planning on buying this processor

from that amazon link? Or are you getting it from eBay?

Even on the used market, the 7400 is atrocious value, being either a similar price or more expensive than an i5-6600, which has much higher clock speeds.

Your current CPU cooler will handle any quad core i5 with ease, you do not need a new one.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Wow, I did not expect so many replies so quickly!  Thank you for the advice everybody, much appreciated, very new to all of this.

Wow, I did not expect so many replies so quickly!  Thank you for the advice everybody, much appreciated, very new to all of this.

So how much is the i5 7400?

Just now, jaslion said:

So how much is the i5 7400?

$208 haha, I was going to use the link in the OP but judging from the responses on here I guess I probably shouldn't!

$208 haha, I was going to use the link in the OP but judging from the responses on here I guess I probably shouldn't!

Yeah for sure do not get it. It's not a good cpu and you can easily get a much better ryzen 3100 or 3300x + new motherboard and have a far better system