Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC Games crashing to desktop on start, game having 6 fps?

SecondGuessing
 Share

My specs:

  • ryzen5 3600
  • crucial 3200mhzcl16 OC'd to 3733 cl16.
  • asrock x570 pro 4(bought open box)
  • evga g2 650w psu
  • samsung 500gb evo 860 ssd w/ win10.
  • msi duke 1080gtx, taken from previous build.

 

For the most time I am having no issues but sometimes I will try to start various games, and they will crash. If I restart my pc then theyll be fine for hours or days. Here's an example - I was playing red dead redemption 2 today fine, but would crash when I would minimize. figured something with steam overlay, I figured that was the issue so I try playing pubg and im getting 5 fps so I restart my computer and now everything is fine.

 

I had an issue starting up Insurgency: Sandstorm the other day as well, it kept crashing on load. The error message kept saying something about "Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up".

 

I think the best bet is to revert my memory overclock to the default memory XMP profile and see if any issues persists? I am also using the latest driver for my 1080 - on my previous build my 1080 was using a much older driver and this issue wasn't occuring. I use MSI afterburner to OC my 1080, though Im using the same settings/applying the same overclock from my previous build which worked fine for 2 yrs.

 

Do you think this could be my memory OC(I tested it, passed, but hey sometimes it isnt enough) or my GPU is starting to die(only 2 years old)? Honestly I feel its my driver, perhaps I should try a much older version as well?

 

I have some ideas where to start, but any ideas you may want to share? I am looking to get to the bottom of this!

 

Thanks for reading :)

 

EDIT: Just checked device manager and under other devices, i have a few with yellow check marks..guess Ill right click update for those as well?:

 

for_linus - Copy.png

Edited by SecondGuessing
Added info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend running everything stock to see if the issues continue happening.

 

Are you running the latest AMD chipset driver?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 191x7 said:

I'd recommend running everything stock to see if the issues continue happening.

 

Are you running the latest AMD chipset driver?

Just did some googling, and apparently with my issue in my screenshot I am missing the AMD psp driver. Im gonna try that first actually cause after installing it,i no longer have any yellow checks in device manager.

 

So I guess ill just play some games tomorrow and see if the issue reoccurs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SecondGuessing said:

Just did some googling, and apparently with my issue in my screenshot I am missing the AMD psp driver. Im gonna try that first actually cause after installing it,i no longer have any yellow checks in device manager.

 

So I guess ill just play some games tomorrow and see if the issue reoccurs?

Looping the Heaven Benchmark might do the trick faster than running games.

 

You did get the driver from https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470  (don't worry about the X470 in the link, the drivers are the same starting from A320 to X570) or an older version from the motherboard manufacturer?

 

Having the latest bios version?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 191x7 said:

Looping the Heaven Benchmark might do the trick faster than running games.

 

You did get the driver from https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470  (don't worry about the X470 in the link, the drivers are the same starting from A320 to X570) or an older version from the motherboard manufacturer?

 

Having the latest bios version?

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" is something I am noticing in event viewer BTW.

 

Yeah I removed my OC lets see if everything works. I heard heaven is more CPU intensive tho?

 

EDIT: Yeah I updated my x570 from that link btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, let me know how it goes.

 

In my case, having the RAM above 2666 (default), like xmp1 3200 or xmp2 2933 causes issues that point at the graphics card. But it's not the graphics card, it's the ram.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 191x7 said:

Ok, let me know how it goes.

 

In my case, having the RAM above 2666 (default), like xmp1 3200 or xmp2 2933 causes issues that point at the graphics card. But it's not the graphics card, it's the ram.

your ram at XMP is giving you issues?

 

But isnt that the whole point of XMP? To give you a secured overclock? e.g. pay for 3200mhz ram you should expect 3200mhz ram?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SecondGuessing said:

your ram at XMP is giving you issues?

 

But isnt that the whole point of XMP? To give you a secured overclock? e.g. pay for 3200mhz ram you should expect 3200mhz ram?

My RAM seems not to go well with Ryzen. I thought it would improve when I switched from Ryzen 1600x to 3600 but it didn't help.

I changed the board too (because my first, Aorus UG x470, is on a long RMA and I have to have a functioning PC), that didn't help with the RAM.

Perfectly stable on 2666 but issues above that. RAM availability/prices were extremely bad when I was buying, so I had to take a wild guess with the RAM and it backfired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2020 at 5:04 PM, 191x7 said:

My RAM seems not to go well with Ryzen. I thought it would improve when I switched from Ryzen 1600x to 3600 but it didn't help.

I changed the board too (because my first, Aorus UG x470, is on a long RMA and I have to have a functioning PC), that didn't help with the RAM.

Perfectly stable on 2666 but issues above that. RAM availability/prices were extremely bad when I was buying, so I had to take a wild guess with the RAM and it backfired.

so tried lowering the OC, still crashed. tried setting TdRRelay to 10 seconds, still crashed. revorted old driver, crashed. put afterburner at default(+0) at all sliders and its working fine now. At least for now, I guess ill see if any other games have issues starting up/crashing once loaded. So found the "fix".

 

I think the culprit was the OC on my GPU, but the overclock I had was completely stable for 2 years before I upgraded so what gives? Maybe my mobo is giving lower voltages or something? I heard GPU overclocks can become unstable over time as the GPU becomes "weaker" ? maybe that's it? or should i consider RMAing cause theres a bigger underlying issue here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unstable overclocks aren't a valid reason for RMA.

Might be hardware degrading, that's normal if it was pushed too high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Unstable overclocks aren't a valid reason for RMA.

Might be hardware degrading, that's normal if it was pushed too high.

well yeah. but I thought GPU degradation was a myth? i mean I heard of it, but many ppl said that it cannot degrade and that it isnt possible. If anything itll stop work and the only thing that degrades is the thermal paste/fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm, I have been taught otherwise, that every microchip suffers from electromigration, and that lowering the size (process node) and increasing the density/complexity only accelerates the effect. And GPU-s are tiny, paired with the increases in voltage (especially once you overclock if you increase the voltage or the voltage limits) it's normal for them to degrade since more and more migration happens. It's not that the device fails (until some point), it's just that the max stable clocks lower or you need more voltage to achieve them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2020 at 1:11 AM, 191x7 said:

Hm, I have been taught otherwise, that every microchip suffers from electromigration, and that lowering the size (process node) and increasing the density/complexity only accelerates the effect. And GPU-s are tiny, paired with the increases in voltage (especially once you overclock if you increase the voltage or the voltage limits) it's normal for them to degrade since more and more migration happens. It's not that the device fails (until some point), it's just that the max stable clocks lower or you need more voltage to achieve them.

yeah so it works fine without an OC. Happy its fixed but sad I cannot use my OC anymore :(. Guess GPUs degradation is a thing. Just strange it suddenly happened once I swapped parts..fine with the intel prior to, issues once the amd comes in. I did fresh windows install and everything of course.

 

glad it isnt anything else at the very least, thanks for your help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×