Unable to update driver of GTX 1080

Hello everyone,

First time I post here but a long time fan of the video's

So I had my 1080 for a while now and I haven't updated my video driver in ages. At the moment I have version 391.01 installed and it is working great for me.
The reason I wanted to update it is because the driver is kind of old, and using the discord streaming app tanks my framerate really hard and makes my own game unplayable.
It says on discord that my driver is not supported and that is likely the case why I am having performance issues.

I tried installing the newest drivers but that caused my main screen to start flickering, and even though it said I was having 120-140 FPS ingame it certainly felt choppy.
First thing i did was check in the control panel if it stil said the refreshrate of my screen was set to 144hz and G-sync was stil enabled. I even tried to switch from 144 back to 60 and so forth but that did not solve my issue.

So after some small tweaking and nothing helping i rolled back the driver to my old version and any performance related issues we're gone. But I am still stuck with my old driver that is uncapable of running the discord screen sharing app.

I tried looking up a few older versions people claimed were stable. But every new driver update i did gave me the same problem, I tried about 5 drivers by now.
Its worth to note that with the new driver it definitely helped my streaming performance, but the overall performance drop always made me go back to the old 391.01 driver.

Does anyone know what is causing this issue? should I format my pc or is there anything else I (rather) can do than formating?

ahshdhfhgh.png

8 minutes ago, Boykahard said:

Hello everyone,

First time I post here but a long time fan of the video's

So I had my 1080 for a while now and I haven't updated my video driver in ages. At the moment I have version 391.01 installed and it is working great for me.
The reason I wanted to update it is because the driver is kind of old, and using the discord streaming app tanks my framerate really hard and makes my own game unplayable.
It says on discord that my driver is not supported and that is likely the case why I am having performance issues.

I tried installing the newest drivers but that caused my main screen to start flickering, and even though it said I was having 120-140 FPS ingame it certainly felt choppy.
First thing i did was check in the control panel if it stil said the refreshrate of my screen was set to 144hz and G-sync was stil enabled. I even tried to switch from 144 back to 60 and so forth but that did not solve my issue.

So after some small tweaking and nothing helping i rolled back the driver to my old version and any performance related issues we're gone. But I am still stuck with my old driver that is uncapable of running the discord screen sharing app.

I tried looking up a few older versions people claimed were stable. But every new driver update i did gave me the same problem, I tried about 5 drivers by now.
Its worth to note that with the new driver it definitely helped my streaming performance, but the overall performance drop always made me go back to the old 391.01 driver.

Does anyone know what is causing this issue? should I format my pc or is there anything else I (rather) can do than formating?

ahshdhfhgh.png

make sure you have the latest windows version 

and make sure you have the latest bios 

and the latest firmware for the gpu :)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

make sure you have the latest windows version 

and make sure you have the latest bios 

and the latest firmware for the gpu :)

Not gonna lie, I'm very reluctant to do a bios update because of all the risks it (might) cause.

I have win 8.1 and im pretty sure that auto updates all the time.
And I was under the impression the 'firmware' for the GPU was the driver.

Thanks for the reply tho o/

1 minute ago, Boykahard said:

Not gonna lie, I'm very reluctant to do a bios update because of all the risks it (might) cause.

if you flash it correctly you wont need to worry about anything 

I have win 8.1 and im pretty sure that auto updates all the time.

that could be the reason that it is happening although im not 100 % sure 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

that could be the reason that it is happening although im not 100 % sure

the fact that auto updates are enabled or..?

2 minutes ago, Boykahard said:

the fact that auto updates are enabled or..?

that it is a little old lol 

but as i said i could be wrong but do make sure you have the latest update (just o be 100% sure )

also just make sure ytou have the latest firmware for the gpu ( that is most likely the reason ) 

Build Log: 

I see some people while browsing with the same cards that have the same issue such as written in this reddit post

But no one with an answer but to 'do a rollback on the driver'

I see some people while browsing with the same cards that have the same issue such as written in this reddit post

But no one with an answer but to 'do a rollback on the driver'

yea as i said it is most likely a firmware issue due to it being outdated 

Build Log: 

Can you point me a way to look into the firmware updating scene?

I view computer related stuff all the time on YT but I can't recall seeing anything related to 'Videocard firmware'.

1452434142.png.f9c1389b35f3ecfe8bcc0111956f26c8.png
Seems very up to date

what about the card's firmware ?

Build Log: 

Can you point me a way to look into the firmware updating scene?

I view computer related stuff all the time on YT but I can't recall seeing anything related to 'Videocard firmware'.

there is a video by evga explaining how :D 

Build Log: 

agwerasd.png.919ee721356ec08362a664649b6a7350.png

oh and i forgot to tell you that you need to be careful when flashing the gpu and you need to flash it correctly 

i tried to see what is the latest firmware for the 1080 is but i didnt find anything 

Build Log: 

I just looked at the EVGA video and it seems pretty straight forward,

Download file, extract it, run it, press y in command prompt and done

hard to mess up unless im overlooking something

2 minutes ago, Boykahard said:

I have found this Nvidia link with an auto updater but I am always sceptical of those

yea i can relate 

it really depends 

some software have really good flashing methods and some not so much  

Build Log: 

Does anyone have a better suggestion than trying to risk bricking my card?

51 minutes ago, Boykahard said:

Does anyone have a better suggestion than trying to risk bricking my card?

Yes...download DDU display driver uninstaller and run this...it will ask you to boot in windows safe mode...DO THAT there is no way around it...once in safe mode remove EVERYTHING nivida related...then boot back in windows...windows will then install a generic VGA driver for your card, after that redo your install of a newer driver and all should be well....don't be lazy tho, do the full procedure and go into safe mode for the cleaning. Good luck!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I assume that process makes me unable to roll back to my stable driver version if it turns out to have an negative effect?

I assume that process makes me unable to roll back to my stable driver version if it turns out to have an negative effect?

It most likely won't have a negative effect

New drivers are always better (well maybe not always but 99% of the times they are )

Edited by TofuHaroto

Build Log: 

No you absolutely can roll back the same way. You can use ddu again, clean everything and reinstall your old drivers.

But you won't need to, it'll work this time if you don't right....be positive hehe

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

But you won't need to, it'll work this time if you don't right....be positive hehe

I second this lol

Build Log: 

So to give an update

I did the DDU in safemode and got rid of anything Nvidia related.

Seems that DDU cleared up to about 20gb of storage from my SSD which probably ment that all the problems might be related to a bunch of bloatware from Nvidia. Weirdly enough after installing the new driver it cleared up an aditional 5gb of storage from my 500gb SSD which is always a great outcome.

GPU related stuff seems fine, might be that my games feel slightly choppy but that might also be me being overly nitpicky right now, its definitely playable so not that big of a deal.

Can use shadowplay and discord streaming again so thats nice.

Seems that cleaning up the bloat from all the previous drivers did solve my issue, thanks for the suggestion o/

Ok so there still is an issue with the refreshrate being simply uncontrollable.

Every time I alt tab it changes and it keeps going from anywhere between 60 and 144hz.

Also when I am watching youtube on my second screen it tanks the refreshrate from my main monitor and it is really anoying.

When I turn off G sync it seems to temporarily solve the issue but it comes back after a minute or so.

Does anyone know why a never driver is having such poor performance issues, and the older one gives me a near perfect gameplay experience...?