Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

White VGA Led on.

YuppityYap

So,I just built a pc and when i try to boot it, it doesnt post. I am using the asus z390 I and I have a constant white VGA led in when I try to press the power button. Ive tried using a different gpu, no luck, new nada. Any other suggestions?

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Try and clear CMOS, use only 1 stick of RAM, or different RAM if you have it, reseat CPU, use IGP (if not running F series CPU). More complete specs would be helpful as well.

2080 super

Rm850x

32gb of 3200mhz ram

z390-i rog strix.

ive used different ram, reseated the gpu and cleared cmos,I dont know how to use the igpu

1 hour ago, BlueScope819 said:

Remove your graphics card. Plug the HDMI cord or whatever into the motherboard video outputs.

Onboard graphics didnt work, reseating cpu didnt work

11 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Try and clear CMOS again, perhaps do it multiple times. At this point you have basically tried all of the components, so my guess is either something isn't plugged in correctly or your motherboard is broken. Some boards won't post unless the CPU fan header has a fan on it, so just go over all of your connections everywhere in the system and reseat them.

Still no luck...faulty mobo?

39 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Try and clear CMOS again, perhaps do it multiple times. At this point you have basically tried all of the components, so my guess is either something isn't plugged in correctly or your motherboard is broken. Some boards won't post unless the CPU fan header has a fan on it, so just go over all of your connections everywhere in the system and reseat them.

So ive eliminated the probabilities of a cpu,gpu,and ram problems. Is there any chance of this being caused by a psu? Or should i point my fingers right at the mobo

If you have a different PSU, you can try that, but I don't think so because the VGA light is on. If the PSU had a problem, it would be more likely just to kill your motherboard. Did you practice safe ESD practices when assembling? You may have killed something somewhere in the process, but you could still probably RMA your motherboard.

I grounded myself every-time i shuffled my feet. PSU is not the problem. Ill start the rma on the mobo

If you have a different PSU, you can try that, but I don't think so because the VGA light is on. If the PSU had a problem, it would be more likely just to kill your motherboard. Did you practice safe ESD practices when assembling? You may have killed something somewhere in the process, but you could still probably RMA your motherboard.

Also, wouldnt the VGA light signify a gpu or cpu problem(gpu has been outruled tho) what are the chances it was a cpu problem?

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Also, what happens exactly when there isn't a post? Just nothing happens at all? Or do you have some fanspin, etc. Make sure your power switch header is on the right pins.

Fans spin at very high speeds, but i get a little white LED that highlights “vga” and no image is displayed. The power button is on the right pins, i even shorted the power button pins out to get it to boot and that didnt work

3 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Do all fans spin at very high speeds, or just your GPU fans / fans hooked up to your motherboard? Do your GPU fans spin at max speed like that?

My gpu fans spin, not sure if its at max speeds. Then they eventually stop spinning after a little bit, though im not sure if thats just because its not under load. All my case fans spin at max speeds, and the cpu cooler does as well. I do not think the PSU fan was spinning at max speeds though

2 hours ago, YuppityYap said:

My gpu fans spin, not sure if its at max speeds. Then they eventually stop spinning after a little bit, though im not sure if thats just because its not under load. All my case fans spin at max speeds, and the cpu cooler does as well. I do not think the PSU fan was spinning at max speeds though

i have the z390-e board. and my psu is turned to silent. so it don't spin up unless it gets hot. but it's a 1600watt one so that takes a while. 

if it still lights white when your gpu is dismounted it's mainboard or cpu.. my rog strix z390-e gaming only have a DP port have you tried that one?, i see the z390-i have both hdmi and dp. are you sure the hdmi cable is ok. as far as i remember the white light lights up if you don't connect it to a monitor too, unless you turn off that as a failure. 

7 hours ago, Robchil said:

i have the z390-e board. and my psu is turned to silent. so it don't spin up unless it gets hot. but it's a 1600watt one so that takes a while. 

if it still lights white when your gpu is dismounted it's mainboard or cpu.. my rog strix z390-e gaming only have a DP port have you tried that one?, i see the z390-i have both hdmi and dp. are you sure the hdmi cable is ok. as far as i remember the white light lights up if you don't connect it to a monitor too, unless you turn off that as a failure. 

I dont think the white light turns on when you dont connect it to a monitor. The vga light just means that there is no vga detected, monitor or not. Plus, i have a b450-i with the same leds and it boots without that led light even tho its disconnected from a monitor. Also, i did try the display port cable and it did not work. Could you try disconnecting your gpu dp cable from your monitor and verify that this is the case? Because if not then I may have troubleshooted wrong 

17 hours ago, Robchil said:

So if its not an issue for you. Could you check to see if the VGA light goes away when the pc is disconnected from the monitor? My monitor is actually screwed into my wall so when I booted up the system with a new gpu I didnt bother to try plugging it into the monitor and rather just turned the pc in to see if its vga light would turn on

23 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Copypaste from a help article I found; link to it is at the bottom.

The machine does power up, but my screen remains black (no POST).

1. Make sure your BIOS version is compatible with the CPU generation you're trying to run in your motherboard, you can consult the manual or the manufacturer's website about this.
  2. Check if EVERY power cable is connected. Auxiliary power connectors included.
  3. Make sure the cable coming from your monitor is attached securely to the graphics card. Also make sure it is securely attached to the monitor itself.
  4. Make sure your PSU is powerful enough to power your complete system.
  5. Make sure your monitor works by testing it on a different computer.
  6. If you have both a dedicated GPU and an iGPU, try your monitor on both the outputs on the graphics cards as well as on the motherboard.
  7. Make sure all connectors and cables are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  8. Make sure your RAM, CPU and GPU are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  9. If the motherboard you're using has debug LEDs, check the error code and consult the motherboard manual to see what it means.
  10. If you have a debug speaker connected to the motherboard, note the beep sequence and consult the motherboard manual or this thread to see what it means.
  11. Try clearing your CMOS.
  12. Try booting your computer with only a motherboard, CPU and one stick of RAM attached (if you don't have an iGPU, plug in your GPU as well ;) ).
  13. Make sure your GPU works (if you have a dedicated one), try it in another computer.
  14. Make sure your RAM works, try it another computer.
  15. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your CPU and your motherboard.

After going through many newegg and amazon reviews it seems that my problem is not uncommon. Apparently it doesnt often respond to display port image and rather hdmi. I tested it and it did work, but I am just about fed up with this thing and will be buying an Aorus z390 i instead

2 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

That's not a problem with your motherboard; thats a problem with your GPU. I assume you are plugging it into the GPU, right? As in, it works fully assembled as long as you plug into the HDMI on your GPU, right?

Its the same case with iGPU on my motherboard aswell. Dp still works but not until I booted up the pc with hdmi first. Annoying, yet i think i only have to boot it up with hdmi once as display port is working freely now

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2020 at 10:18 PM, YuppityYap said:

So,I just built a pc and when i try to boot it, it doesnt post. I am using the asus z390 I and I have a constant white VGA led in when I try to press the power button. Ive tried using a different gpu, no luck, new nada. Any other suggestions?

Could be display port cable. Seems others switched to HDMI and have no issues now.