Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RTX 2070S VS GTX 1080Ti

So I am looking to build a pc at the moment and I keep seeing that the GTX 1080 ti can out preform quite alot of the stuff like how it can beat the RTX 2060 and 2060 s and goes just above the rtx 2070 s by 10%. Is it worth the money for buying the gtx 1080 ti second hand or should I just get a rtx 2070 super brand new?

 

PS. Sorry if the wording is bad

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1660 Super oc 6g
Mobo:MSI b450 tomahawk max

RAM: 32gb ddr4 lpx vengeance 3200mhz

PSU: cxm 450

Case: Corsair Carbide Series

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, KGGaming said:

So I am looking to build a pc at the moment and I keep seeing that the GTX 1080 ti can out preform quite alot of the stuff like how it can beat the RTX 2060 and 2060 s and goes just above the rtx 2070 s by 10%. Is it worth the money for buying the gtx 1080 ti second hand or should I just get a rtx 2070 super brand new?

 

PS. Sorry if the wording is bad

the 1080ti is a very good card, but like all high-end cards, it comes with diminishing rewards per dollar. Personally, I would reccomened the 5700xt or it's successor, as it is in between the 2070 and 2070S but is only 400 USD. It's sucessor probably will be the released between july and december of this year, and will handily outperform the 2070S (Possibly the 2080S), and the 5700xt. So my advice unless you really like ray tracing is to buy a 5700xt or wait for it's successor, it will offer much better value. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 
My build:
CPU: 10700k Oc'd to 5.0 ghz                            GPU: RTX 3070 ventus 2x
Motherboard: Asus z490-v                                Cooler: Deepcool castle ex 120mm
Ram: Team tforce delta 32gb 3200mhz cl16     Case: Phanteks p418r (p360a ripoff) 
PSU: Apevia Prestige 800w

Notes:
Spoiler

To me the 10700k seems pretty underrated. It's a very solid cpu. at 5.0ghz it draws 175-185w under full load. the Asus z490-v is a sh*t teir motherboard, I wouldn't recommend it for anything past a 10600k for light oc's only. Tforce ram is pretty but cpu cooler clearance can be an issue on them, so beware. the RTX 3070 is obviously a great card, but the ventus 2x is just horrible. Don't buy it, not now, not ever. It's flimsy af, you can't increase the stock power limit, the cooler is worse than the one on the 3070FE. If it's a choice between this and nothing, choose nothing. The deepcool castle ex 120mm isn't really on sale outside of prebuilts, but it's a nice pretty cooler, gets my 10700k up to 96c after a prime95 cpu test for 15 minutes. The p418r is basically what it looks like. P360a, slap a few cyberpowerpc logos on it, and you're golden. The Apevia Prestige 800w is bad, but not terrible. Runs respectably quiet and isn't a bomb. More than a lot of PSU's in prebuilts can claim.

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2070S and 1080Ti are similar in terms of gaming performance, and in future releases the 2070S might start outperforming the 1080Ti on average as developers start not optimising games as much for the older architecture.

If you've found a great deal for a 1080Ti, then go for it. But if you can get a 2070S for similar money, I'd go for that. Keep in mind the used 1080Ti will have no warranty so if any problems arise you're on your own.

I'd also take a look at the 5700XT if I were you. It offers similar performance in gaming to the 2070S, but comes at a lower cost.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The 2070S and 1080Ti are similar in terms of gaming performance, and in future releases the 2070S might start outperforming the 1080Ti on average as developers start not optimising games as much for the older architecture.

If you've found a great deal for a 1080Ti, then go for it. But if you can get a 2070S for similar money, I'd go for that. Keep in mind the used 1080Ti will have no warranty so if any problems arise you're on your own.

I'd also take a look at the 5700XT if I were you. It offers similar performance in gaming to the 2070S, but comes at a lower cost.

I have looked at the rad eon options but at the moment Im going for nvidia as I like the extra software that comes with it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1660 Super oc 6g
Mobo:MSI b450 tomahawk max

RAM: 32gb ddr4 lpx vengeance 3200mhz

PSU: cxm 450

Case: Corsair Carbide Series

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, KGGaming said:

I have looked at the rad eon options but at the moment Im going for nvidia as I like the extra software that comes with it.

Fair enough.

If NVENC is among those extra features you'd like to have (so if you're planning on streaming), the 2070S would be the better choice, as it has the newer Turing encoder, which provides higher quality footage compared to the older Pascal NVENC.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Fair enough.

If NVENC is among those extra features you'd like to have (so if you're planning on streaming), the 2070S would be the better choice, as it has the newer Turing encoder, which provides higher quality footage compared to the older Pascal NVENC.

I am building the pc for 4 things. streaming recording video editing and competive gaming

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1660 Super oc 6g
Mobo:MSI b450 tomahawk max

RAM: 32gb ddr4 lpx vengeance 3200mhz

PSU: cxm 450

Case: Corsair Carbide Series

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KGGaming said:

So I am looking to build a pc at the moment and I keep seeing that the GTX 1080 ti can out preform quite alot of the stuff like how it can beat the RTX 2060 and 2060 s and goes just above the rtx 2070 s by 10%. Is it worth the money for buying the gtx 1080 ti second hand or should I just get a rtx 2070 super brand new?

 

PS. Sorry if the wording is bad

Both of these cards are very good the rtx 2070super card having the new Turing architecture and 8gb vram and less CUDA cores but you can get it brandon new and the gtx 1080ti having 11gb and and slightly more CUDA cores it might be better to go for a preowned 1080ti if you don’t care about raytracing and if you want to get the cheaper card out of the 2 then the 1080ti should be cheaper than the 2070 super due to the 1080ti being preowned and the 2070 super being new but it’s your choice entirely both cards are very good high end cards on the market today 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Newegg

×