Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No video as GPU is connected to non-existent display

Breakout_

I noticed some time ago I have no signal during boot/post and only get video on the Windows' login screen. I went into display settings to find that it said I'm connected to 2 displays when I only have one monitor. It said the non-existent display was a VGA connected to my GPU. One other thing I noticed was that of my 2 DVI ports in my GPU, one wasn't working. Today I tried to foolishly use safe mode to reinstall GPU drivers and now I have no video at all since I'm presuming it's outputting to this non-existent display (and my pc is stuck in safe mode). I tried to blindly disable safe mode using Run, msconfig, pressing ctrl tab then tab twice, space and enter but I think that due to restarting too many times already my PC is stuck in some Windows repair screen before it can login.

Is this a GPU issue, a GPU driver issue, or a motherboard issue? Because replacing the GPU will not help if the drivers are still on my PC. But I'm thinking it's not a driver issue since drivers shouldn't affect the POST/bios screen which I can't see either right? In that case its a mobo or GPU issue. I don't have an iGPU by the way, and I have 2 dvi ports on my mobo. Right now I think replacing the GPU should fix it, since I did some research to find that the GPU detecting some electrical load or signal (could this be pci lane instead though??) could make it think its detecting another display. 

I'm pretty sure you are correct, its some sort of short circuit in that DVI port triggering it to think something is plugged in.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (~940Mbit peak) + Ubiquiti nanoHD (OpenWRT)
ISPs: Zen VDSL (66Mbit) + Lebara 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~700Mbit during quiet hours, ~500Mbit peak hours)

I've ordered a GPU, if that doesn't fix it, would it then be a mobo issue? 

2 hours ago, Breakout_ said:

I've ordered a GPU, if that doesn't fix it, would it then be a mobo issue? 

I know  you ordered a new GPU but just as a suggestion 

Try updating the firm ware it vbios in other words for the GPU and see if that helps

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: