Anyone have any experience with a non-SystemD *nix distro

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,
Just now, Sauron said:

Out of curiosity, what was in that file?

I am wrong, (I'm tired) a 99-sysctl.conf file exists with lots of stuff commented out mostly related to IP4/6

and it was a shortcut (little black swoopy arrow in lower right corner of file) to elsewhere.

I am somewhat new to the guts of *nix, if I create the requested file in this directory, it'll autoload, or do I have to point something to it?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I am somewhat new to the guts of *nix, if I create the requested file in this directory, it'll autoload, or do I have to point something to it?

It should load in alphabetical order, the number is there to indicate that it should be loaded among the last.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It should load in alphabetical order, the number is there to indicate that it should be loaded among the last.

Ok. Created the file, rebooted, no change (CPU1 still at 100%) so I used sysctl --system to reload them and it claims it did, but no difference. 

I feel I have done something wrong. (aside from saving the 1st .conf file with a capital F, I recreated it with the lowercase f, but have yet to figure out how to delete the incorrectly named one)

I will edit this and post a screenshot (typing this on a different PC)

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 16-07-12.png

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 16-08-56.png

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 16-09-30.png

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

this may be of some interest

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 16-13-35.png

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Got it!

https://gist.github.com/StefanoBelli/0aab46b858a797c4eedb90e8799dffa2

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (seems I'm not alone in the ACPI bug)

Cheers mate!

With all due respect:  Forget systemd! 

I use nothing but non-systemd distros on old machines. 

In answer to your original question,

"Anyone have any experience with a non-SystemD *nix distro"

YES.

Ashley_xD is the only one answering your question honestly, IMHO, and unfortunately. 

I use nothing but, except as an experiment, non-systemd distros.  One is limited to the list mentioned

personally haven't used a non-systemd distro but i found a nice list. 

https://ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/blog/2019/05/20/linux-distros-without-systemd/

However, practically speaking, one is limited to any one of the distros -- antiX   Slackware14.2  MX  slackel

IMHO.

Since OP is experience with Debian, I would recommend -- antiX first, then MX, slackel, and lastly Slackware14.2 (in order of "freindliness" which is determined subjectively by mostly 'buntu users (LOL!)).

I, personally, use antiX and Slackware14.2 (stable),  Slackel is worth a try,

Why would you want spyware AKA systemd, anyway OP?

Best wishes!

46 minutes ago, sp331yi said:

It's not by bloody choice.

I used Ubuntu 14.04 LTS until it fell out of support, and the HP Wave I'm throwing this on, the wifi card isn't supported by anything less than 4.10 kernel, and 14.04 ends with 4.4 (IIRC) so wifi is out, which makes this a problem.

I gave Devuan a swing, same problem, wouldn't see the wifi card and I couldn't get drivers installed for it (for the record, it's an Intel wifi card, pretty standard stuff if you ask me)

Since I"m most familiar with Debian, I'm sticking with .deb based distros.

With the great help of @Sauron we tracked down an ACPI issue with 16.04 LTS and it'll do for now. (Seemed to be an issue with systemD as 14.04 didn't do this, but that's neither here nor there)

So since it works under 16.04 LTS, I"m leaving it as such. I'd dearly love to go back to 14.04 LTS, but it seems like it's not possible.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

With the great help of @Sauron we tracked down an ACPI issue with 16.04 LTS and it'll do for now. (Seemed to be an issue with systemD as 14.04 didn't do this, but that's neither here nor there)

Just to clarify, it was an issue with kernel power management interrupts caused by a non-standard acpi implementation in the motherboard, unrelated to systemd. The more recent kernel in 16.04 expects a standard behavior and the proprietary HP motherboard seemingly doesn't behave that way.

58 minutes ago, sp331yi said:

Please provide any proof or believable evidence that systemd is "spyware". The only "information" I found pertaining that was a guy who thought NTP counted as spyware which is ludicrous.

I know it's hip to hate systemd but claiming it's spyware seems a bit much.

1 hour ago, sp331yi said:

Ashley_xD is the only one answering your question honestly, IMHO, and unfortunately.

It seems to me @Radium_Angel is content with sticking to Ubuntu, they just didn't think that was a possibility. Sometimes it's better to understand what the person actually wants rather than blindly answering the question.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*