Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone have any experience with a non-SystemD *nix distro

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

I have a bone-stock HP Pavilion Wave 600.

Core I3-6100t (low power CPU)

8GB DDR4

Intel GFX

Intel Wifi

Realtek Ethernet

USB, DP, HDMI, etc, all bog standard

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (my go-to *nix distro) doesn't have the updated kernel required for the Intel wifi, no no wireless.

16.04 LTS pegs one of the two cores at 100% all the time.

18.04 LTS is an abortion of a GUI, and still does this (I suspect systemD, 14.04 LTS didn't do this) so that's out as well.

I have tried various "lightweight" distros of Debian flavour, which is what I am most comfortable with, but if they have systemD as a core, they peg 1 core at 100%

So, of the classic Init distros, anyone have any experience? Ideally they need to have kernel 4.10 for my wifi card support. (if I am reading things right, which is not always the case)

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

personally haven't used a non-systemd distro but i found a nice list. 

https://ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/blog/2019/05/20/linux-distros-without-systemd/

Resident Apple Sheep - She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8gb Ram | 120gb SSD | macOS

PC | Dual Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32gb Ram | 500gb SSD | Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F | Manjaro Linux

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you suspend systemd? What does top show as using cpu?

something useful like "kworker/0:2 (or 0:3)"

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

something useful like "kworker/0:2 (or 0:3)"

How did you find what kworker is doing? 

I don't really think this is a systemd issue.

How did you find what kworker is doing? 

A bit of googling.

And since this doesn't occur under 14.04 which isn't systemD, and it does under systemD, it seemed logical.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

A bit of googling.

And since this doesn't occur under 14.04 which isn't systemD, and it does under systemD, it seemed logical.

so what was kworker doing

there is a lot more changes than system d in newer versions. Id guess is more of a dirvier issue or something else rather than systemd.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

so what was kworker doing

there is a lot more changes than system d in newer versions. Id guess is more of a dirvier issue or something else rather than systemd.

using up 100% of my CPU, I couldn't actually find out what, specifically, it was doing, (I'm not that knowledgeable about the inner workings of *nix) 

but a read of what kworker does behind the scenes, shows this:

"kworker" is a placeholder process for kernel worker threads, which perform most of the actual processing for the kernel, especially in cases where there are interrupts, timers, I/O, etc. These typically correspond to the vast majority of any allocated "system" time to running processes. It is not something that can be safely removed from the system in any way, and is completely unrelated to nepomuk or KDE (except in that these programs may make system calls, which may require the kernel to do something).

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

using up 100% of my CPU, I couldn't actually find out what, specifically, it was doing, (I'm not that knowledgeable about the inner workings of *nix) 

"kworker" is a placeholder process for kernel worker threads, which perform most of the actual processing for the kernel, especially in cases where there are interrupts, timers, I/O, etc. These typically correspond to the vast majority of any allocated "system" time to running processes. It is not something that can be safely removed from the system in any way, and is completely unrelated to nepomuk or KDE (except in that these programs may make system calls, which may require the kernel to do something).

DO you mean linux by *nix, cause there are a lot of non linux distros you probably don't want. 

There are ways to see what kworker is doing, have you looking for and tried that? You don't seem to know what kworker is doing.

There are ways to see what kworker is doing, have you looking for and tried that? You don't seem to know what kworker is doing.

I'm all ears...

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah, so as your own research shows this has nothing to do with systemd and everything to do with the kernel, which also changed from older versions of ubuntu.

From the same page where you probably read this: https://askubuntu.com/a/421916/888216

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

@Electronics Wizardy @Sauron

Re-installed 16.04 LTS, ensured it was up to date

Install linux-tools and ran a perf.

Here is a screenshot of what the system is doing at idle

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 08-52-50.png

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

@Electronics Wizardy @Sauron

Re-installed 16.04 LTS, ensured it was up to date

Install linux-tools and ran a perf.

Here is a screenshot of what the system is doing at idle

check your interrupts:

grep . -r /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/

see if anything reports thousands of lines

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Boot with the kernel option noacpi.

If you don't know how to do that you probably need to press e at the boot splash screen and then in the options bit go to the end and add 'noacpi'.

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

grep . -r /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/

Thank you for that, here's what it reports

18 minutes ago, prg said:

Boot with the kernel option noacpi.

If you don't know how to do that you probably need to press e at the boot splash screen and then in the options bit go to the end and add 'noacpi'.

I'll look into that as well, thank you for the suggestion

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 14-53-55.png

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 14-54-39.png

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 14-54-56.png

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Thank you for that, here's what it reports

I'll look into that as well, thank you for the suggestion

image.png.c3ce0e46e9ea909be1264aa838019aee.png

Bingo.

Try disabling that interrupt:

echo "disable" > /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe6F

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Try disabling that interrupt:

Permission denied (even trying with sudo before the command)

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Permission denied (even trying with sudo before the command)

that's weird, try doing it as root (sudo su to enter a root shell)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

that's weird, try doing it as root (sudo su to enter a root shell)

We have a winnar!

Now, how to set that permanently, and what are the consequences (if any?)

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

We have a winnar!

Now, how to set that permanently, and what are the consequences (if any?)

There may be consequences but since this is a desktop power management (acpi) not working optimally is probably irrelevant.

As for setting it permanently, you can use a sysctl configuration file. Create a conf file, for example /etc/sysctl.d/99-gpe6f.conf, with this content:

firmware.acpi.interrupts.gpe6F = disable

This should disable the interrupt automatically on boot.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Create a conf file, for example /etc/sysctl.d/99-gpe6f.conf, with this content:

This file already exists, I will edit it and add the line, reboot, and see what happens.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

This file already exists, I will edit it and add the line, reboot, and see what happens.

Out of curiosity, what was in that file?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler