Upgrading a 6 year old gaming machine

Hello everyone

So I have my gaming computer for 6 years by now and, after watching a lot of Linus' videos and learning a lot about the wonderful world of PCs, I started to think about upgrading. I live in Brazil and that makes things a little complicated, since every tech related stuff is quite expensive, but I'll be glad with every awnser. So let me get started.

Budget (including currency): Don't have one yet, but was thinking somewhere about R$4000, which is around US$700 (Yeah, the economy here is... well... complicated... someone help D:) but gladly spend US$1000 if really, really necessary.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, want to run those sweet games at 120 fps, like "Satisfactory", "Cities Skylines" with a lot of mods, etc. I don't do a lot (almost none) of graphical work, but play with Photoshop and Illustrator from time to time.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My current specs are:

• CPU: core i5-4400 3.2 GHz
  • Motherboard: Asus H81M-C/BR
  • RAM: 8 GB Corsair vengeance DDR3 (1 stick)
  • GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 750 ti
  • Power supply: EVGA 500w 80 plus
  • Storage: 1 120 GB Kingston SSD 
    • 1 1TB WD Blue HDD
    • and 1 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

My display is an LG 22MP55, 1920x1080, 21.5" and don't plan on upgrading it (4K and high refresh rate displays are even more expensive :') ). However, I do want to upgrade my keyboard to a mechanical one (this on is just a basic membrane one, from multilaser).

My main question is: is it worth upgrading mu CPU? or shoud I just upgrade my GPU and RAM? I've been thinking about one GTX 1660, but have no ideia for the RAM.
I've known Intel for quite some time, but after seeing AMD with their Ryzen 5 (and more recent the Ryzen 3 3600), I was kinda tempted to go team red.. yet it would cost quite a lot an my i5 should be able to handle things for now.. I think? Hahaha. Oh, and with a GPU upgrade (and probably GPU) my power supply would also need an upgrade, right? (I know this question is quite stupid, but I don't know my current watt usage). I would also keep my HDDs and SSD. Also no specific case in mind.

I expect to make the upgrade by the holidays (I've spent some money in games and other things during this quarantine, so I'll wait a bit more for the upgrade to come true haha).

Well, I think that's all, thanks in advance for your time and help!

Stay home, stay safe!

Castle

If you wanted to upgrade the cpu you would need a new motherboard like the one of the b450 boards if your going with ryzen. If you upgrading to maybe the 1660 or the ryzen 2060 you might want to upgrade the cpu so there is no

bottleneck. 

for R$4000 you could get a b450 tomahawk max and a ryzen 5 3600 with a gtx 1660super

The CPU definitely needs an upgrade but you have to change the mobo. Here is a build that should fit to your budget

o I forgot your keyboard

15 hours ago, ISHAJDM said:

If you wanted to upgrade the cpu you would need a new motherboard like the one of the b450 boards if your going with ryzen. If you upgrading to maybe the 1660 or the ryzen 2060 you might want to upgrade the cpu so there is no

bottleneck. 

for R$4000 you could get a b450 tomahawk max and a ryzen 5 3600 with a gtx 1660super

This probably will be my go to, thanks for the response!

12 hours ago, GiftedNovaHD said:

The CPU definitely needs an upgrade but you have to change the mobo. Here is a build that should fit to your budget

o I forgot your keyboard

Wooow, thank you very much, really wasn't expecting this haha. I'll consider this especially after Linus' video. 

Given the budget my advice would be to wait unless you need it now or will have no other chance to upgrade.

The new Zen 3 chips (as well as the supporting B550 boards) are coming soon and they are really well priced for tight budget builds with stellar performance.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:53 AM, kyn1972 said:

Given the budget my advice would be to wait unless you need it now or will have no other chance to upgrade.

The new Zen 3 chips (as well as the supporting B550 boards) are coming soon and they are really well priced for tight budget builds with stellar performance.

Yeah yeah, I'll do the upgrade by the end of the year, so probably will get one of those! Thanks!