Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking to Build a Second PC, Maybe Reuse the GPU for Now

Budget (including currency): $1500-2000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Path of Exile, FFXIV, Last Epoch, OBS Streaming (Maybe, might look into using old PC as a stream PC)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): My current PC is a 7700K, GTX 1080, it's a fine enough PC but my situation is we have two gamers in the house and only the one good PC. So this one I want to build is so we can play together. I don't need a monitor, but the monitor I use is 1440p 165hz, so the hardware needs to keep up with that. My GTX 1080 struggles with that resolution/refresh rate for some games. I have an old GTX 970 I can throw in the old PC, and maybe reuse the GTX 1080 in the new one until nVidia's new cards come out later in the year and perhaps upgrade the GPU then.

I'm mostly unsure about what CPU to go for. I don't mind spending a little more to "futureproof" as best I can, with 10th gen Intels being a thing this month, and I think Ryzen 4000's are due out later this year, I don't really know what to buy. I don't really want to wait it out much longer either as I'd like to have the two PC's up and running sooner rather than later.

I've always been an Intel guy, but I can't say much as I have never ventured down the AMD route. The new 10th gen Intel's seem to be the best bang for your buck pretty soon. I would take a look at this site here. That's Intel's site where they list the specs and compare each of the new 10th gen processors. While they aren't matching AMD's core and thread count, they are counting on their turbo boosting and higher clock speeds to match AMD while having fewer cores and threads.

1 minute ago, C. Banks said:

I've always been an Intel guy, but I can't say much as I have never ventured down the AMD route. 

I'm in the same boat here, I haven't use an AMD CPU in ages. This is the first time I'm considering them, the 3900x and 3950x both look pretty good and potentially within my budget. Just not sure if it's the best use of the budget or not. The 10th gen Intel release confuses me a little, are they out now or not yet? It looks like some things are on Amazon but I don't see the products on some other sites yet.

Here is a useful tool that I don't know if you're aware of or not: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

PC part picker allows you to build a computer with prices included with a compatibility filter enabled that can help prevent you from building a computer with parts that don't go together. It's pretty intuitive.

Here's a video of Linus comparing the efficiency and price points of the new Ryzen's versus Intel lineup: 

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Ajido said:

I'm in the same boat here, I haven't use an AMD CPU in ages. This is the first time I'm considering them, the 3900x and 3950x both look pretty good and potentially within my budget. Just not sure if it's the best use of the budget or not. The 10th gen Intel release confuses me a little, are they out now or not yet? It looks like some things are on Amazon but I don't see the products on some other sites yet.

I went from a i5 6400 -> to an i7 8700k -> to a 9700k-> and am now using a build with the R7 3800x. I think all of the CPUs have been fantastic, but the 3800x is my favorite so far. It just makes everything feel so fast and the price Was about $60 less than a replacement 9700k would have been after I sold my last build. 

1 minute ago, C. Banks said:

I've always been an Intel guy, but I can't say much as I have never ventured down the AMD route. The new 10th gen Intel's seem to be the best bang for your buck pretty soon. I would take a look at this site here. That's Intel's site where they list the specs and compare each of the new 10th gen processors. While they aren't matching AMD's core and thread count, they are counting on their turbo boosting and higher clock speeds to match AMD while having fewer cores and threads.

i don't agree with you. but this is like more of a personal opinion. 10th gen my be good but guys lets be onest they may have gotten better pricing, but they are still more expensive then amds offerings and we still don't have any official benchmarks as far as i can tell. the benchmarks i found on toms hardware https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-benchmarks indicate that at least in synthetic benchmarks the i7 10700 gets beaten by the 3700x in both single and multicore not much but you have to remember that the ryzen is 100 € cheaper and the motherboards are too

Also, I should note, the gaming performance is slightly worse at 1080p going from the 9700k -> 3800x. But at 1440p and 3440x1440 I don’t notice a difference. 

10 minutes ago, maxdei said:

i don't agree with you. but this is like more of a personal opinion. 10th gen my be good but guys lets be onest they may have gotten better pricing, but they are still more expensive then amds offerings and we still don't have any official benchmarks as far as i can tell. the benchmarks i found on toms hardware https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-benchmarks indicate that at least in synthetic benchmarks the i7 10700 gets beaten by the 3700x in both single and multicore not much but you have to remember that the ryzen is 100 € cheaper and the motherboards are too

Motherboards are not actually cheaper comparing the two OC platforms. Not even close (at least in the US). But the CPUs are for sure.

25 minutes ago, Ajido said:

Budget (including currency): $1500-2000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Path of Exile, FFXIV, Last Epoch, OBS Streaming (Maybe, might look into using old PC as a stream PC)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): My current PC is a 7700K, GTX 1080, it's a fine enough PC but my situation is we have two gamers in the house and only the one good PC. So this one I want to build is so we can play together. I don't need a monitor, but the monitor I use is 1440p 165hz, so the hardware needs to keep up with that. My GTX 1080 struggles with that resolution/refresh rate for some games. I have an old GTX 970 I can throw in the old PC, and maybe reuse the GTX 1080 in the new one until nVidia's new cards come out later in the year and perhaps upgrade the GPU then.

I'm mostly unsure about what CPU to go for. I don't mind spending a little more to "futureproof" as best I can, with 10th gen Intels being a thing this month, and I think Ryzen 4000's are due out later this year, I don't really know what to buy. I don't really want to wait it out much longer either as I'd like to have the two PC's up and running sooner rather than later.

As for OP, I think you would be in a good position picking up a 3600 or 3700X along with an X570 motherboard. X570 motherboards are unfortunately a bit pricey, but are confirmed to support Ryzen 4000 down the road. The 3600 is a very very capable gaming cpu and will be an upgrade from your 7700k in every game that matters (where the 1080 has any chance of struggling). The 3700X is better ofc, but because you are keeping your GPU and rest of the system, the 100 dollar price difference between the 3600 and 3700X makes sense so that you can buy a 3600 now and get the top of the line 4000 processor when that comes out. Just the exact same way that you are holding off on buying a new GPU until Nvidia 3000 series comes.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Motherboards are not actually cheaper comparing the two OC platforms. Not even close (at least in the US). But the CPUs are for sure.

since when is amd more expensive maybee my point wasn't clear

After watching some videos and doing a little more reading, I think I'd like to pull the trigger on getting a Ryzen 3900X. It gets comparable results to a 9900K in gaming and is about $100 USD less from what I can tell. I'd like some input on what motherboard/RAM to get for it, make sure it's good and compatible and all that.

Motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Crosshair-Hero-Motherboard/dp/B072LX7WLN/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1ZJYC642BUH6I&dchild=1&keywords=x570%2Bmotherboard%2Bwifi&qid=1588967698&sprefix=x570%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-8&th=1

RAM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVT8SGF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd like to make the purchase by the end of the day, just looking for some more input before I go ahead and actually buy it. Thanks.

2 hours ago, maxdei said:

since when is amd more expensive maybee my point wasn't clear

X570 boards are really flipping expensive. And B550 ones don't really exist in the wild yet.

The CPUs themselves are far cheaper. The motherboards are not. But the motherboards generally are less additional cost than the CPU would be, so on the whole (esp for high end parts) AMD ends up cheaper.

1 hour ago, Ajido said:

After watching some videos and doing a little more reading, I think I'd like to pull the trigger on getting a Ryzen 3900X. It gets comparable results to a 9900K in gaming and is about $100 USD less from what I can tell. I'd like some input on what motherboard/RAM to get for it, make sure it's good and compatible and all that.

Motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Crosshair-Hero-Motherboard/dp/B072LX7WLN/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1ZJYC642BUH6I&dchild=1&keywords=x570%2Bmotherboard%2Bwifi&qid=1588967698&sprefix=x570%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-8&th=1

RAM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVT8SGF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd like to make the purchase by the end of the day, just looking for some more input before I go ahead and actually buy it. Thanks.

Motherboard and ram choice effectively doesn't matter. If you are going to pull up to a 3900X, then you probably want a x570 mobo, particularly if you care about 4000 series. Which kindof sucks, but *shrugs*. If you have a favorite brand bios, go for it, but realistically they all OC completely the same, the port selection is almost always more than you want/need, and all 4 of the major players have abysmal customer support if shit does go wrong.

Whatever your local place has available to buy, go for it. I know that advice is a pain, but supplies in general are still really limited so I don't want to tell you to get something that might not be in stock on Amazon or at your local electronics stores.

For ram speed, 3000-3200 is often a really nice sweet spot. Again, vendor doesn't matter, pick ones that are cheap enough for you and you like the look of.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Is there some way I can check if the CPU cooler is compatible (Dimension-wise) with my motherboard and RAM? I put together the list of what I'm planning to use here:

The Dark Rock Pro 4 I've heard is a good air cooler for it, but it's a big boi and I'm concerned about it fitting.