Not sure if I need a new PSU or not!!

POGS
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Sounds like you need a new PSU.

What system do you have? What model PSU was it? Is it still within warranty?

So I was playing games one afternoon and the power tripped. Now when I plug my pc into the wall it trips the power and my pc doesn't turn on. I tried plugging it into one of the wall sockets in my brothers room and a spark came from the PSU. Do I need to buy a new PSU???

Unplug your PC press the power button then plug it in and start it. I hope that works if not you most likely need a new one.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 hours ago, Andiq said:

Unplug your PC press the power button then plug it in and start it. I hope that works if not you most likely need a new one.

I strongly disagree, did you miss the point that the PSU sparked inside?

Common sense should have suggested that when it tripped the second time, replace it.  You really don't take chances of it frying the whole PC.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 5/8/2020 at 7:49 PM, Spotty said:

I'm running a i7 7700k, 16gb memory, 1050ti, Windows 10 pro

The psu is a XFX pro750w black edition full modular.

Don't think it's within warranty but bought a new one which should be arriving soon :)

In the future I'd suggest plugging your PC into another outlet to avoid damaging the new one. It sounds like you have too many other electronics running off the same breaker. Such as a TV monitor stereo etc... Try finding another outlet on a different breaker.

ALSO I HIGHLY recommend using an ESP Power filter (Transient Voltage Suppressor) *especially if you are living in an Apartment. Like these https://www.amazon.ca/ESP-Digital-Surge-Protector-Filter/dp/B00I3HLPII  ---> HOWEVER you can find them used on Ebay for MUCH cheaper all you need to do is search "ESP QC" and there are lots for cheap. They will prevent this from happening to your PSU ever again! I personally don't plug any electronics directly into the wall without an ESP filter.