Would taking a case and spray painting it be bad?

c0mplexx*

I'm looking for a case but there don't seem to be too many cases for what I want, will spray painting cause heating or something? both the inside and outside

~That annoying dude who keeps asking questions~

2 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

I'm looking for a case but there don't seem to be too many cases for what I want, will spray painting cause heating or something? both the inside and outside

in most *cases* it should be fine

2 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

in most *cases* it should be fine

*facepalm*

but yes this, just make sure that there are no components inside

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Spray painting is fine but it probably won't look great.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If done properly it will be fine.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, c0mplexx* said:

-Moveed to Case Modding and Other Mods-

You can paint a case without any negative effects, so long as you're not painting on filters, vents or directly onto fans that would actually inhibit airflow. A side panel will have no effect on your system. 

Make sure to take necessary steps to prep your case surfaces for paint though!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 5/8/2020 at 9:02 PM, TVwazhere said:

-Moveed to Case Modding and Other Mods-

You can paint a case without any negative effects, so long as you're not painting on filters, vents or directly onto fans that would actually inhibit airflow. A side panel will have no effect on your system. 

Make sure to take necessary steps to prep your case surfaces for paint though!

Oops didn't notice there was a forum specifically for modding the thing my bad! 

So I've gathered that i'll need to sand and prime the case if I want to spray paint it, will the paint just not 'stick' or something if I don't? or will it look uneven?

~That annoying dude who keeps asking questions~

I have never painted a case but I've seen it done in videos.

The things that come to my mind are of course taking everything out of the case if your going to paint the inside.

Then also is the case plastic, metal or a combination of both.  They used to make paint just for plastic that I have used to paint other things that worked well.

I can't see how painting would cause any heat problems as long as you do it right and don't paint filters or stuff your not supposed to paint.

If I was you I'd watch some videos about it first because why not learn from others mistakes.

I'd love to see the before and after. 🙂

On 5/10/2020 at 6:43 AM, c0mplexx* said:

will the paint just not 'stick' or something if I don't?

It might stick initially, but flake off over time. 

By taking the steps necessary to prepare the surface for painting, you're ensuring that it lasts a long time. I'm not familiar with all the steps necessary to properly prep the various surfaces of a PC case (as there's often a mix of sheet steel, various plastics and sometimes aluminium), but places like @Mnpctech do guides like this stuff all the time.

(Timestamped)

notably, the case he's using in the video comes with a primer already on it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

As someone who is currently in the process of repainting some cases for custom builds, I have a few suggestions/tips that you might find helpful. First, yes prepping the case is the best way to ensure your paint looks good once finished. A light sanding to remove any existing coatings, then a basic soap+water wash to remove any leftover dust and stuff and air dry will be enough for most cases 🙃 then you need to consider your paint, and the types of materials the case is made from. If you have a case that has both metals and plastics, like the ones I've been working on, look for paint that specifies what surfaces its made for, and if it contains primer already or not. I personally would recommend Krylon Fusion as its made for multi-surface applications and also is a paint+primer formula so you don't need to worry about applying primer first buuuut that's just my experience with it and you may also not have the same paints available where you are. I can only get a decent selection of Krylon at my local Lowes and everywhere else has Rustoleum which I have not tried.

The second thing I highly suggest to get a nice, even coat on all of the surfaces is to take the case apart as much as you possibly can. For mine, I even went as far as drilling out the rivets and taking it down panel by panel so I could paint every piece individually, but you might not want to or have the tools to do so. If you do, this mnpctech video shows how to do so and the stuff you'll need.

Lastly, make sure you get a top coat to seal it all up once you've applied the color and whatever details you want. I've only just gotten into the case modding and painting thing but so far, its been fun, and I'm really looking forward to finally finishing a project this summer. Good luck to you!

On 5/10/2020 at 6:43 AM, c0mplexx* said:

Oops didn't notice there was a forum specifically for modding the thing my bad! 

So I've gathered that i'll need to sand and prime the case if I want to spray paint it, will the paint just not 'stick' or something if I don't? or will it look uneven?

Ideally you want to apply a light coat of primer to help with adhesion, it's not absolutely necessary if it's already painted but the extra bit doesn't hurt and it helps to guarantee your work for the long term. I have a guide here under general painting that goes over spray paint in more detail. 

Ideally taking apart the case by drilling out the rivets would give you the best paint job as it will prevent over spray which will occur in some areas and issues that can occur in hard to reach places.