How many usb drives on Win10

aimingyou

Hey guys,

I was wondering whether or not there is a theoretical or practical limit to how many usb drives you canb run on windows 10. Also if there's a difference between the versions of win10.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so please tell me if I'm supposed to go elsewhere:)

4 minutes ago, aimingyou said:

I was wondering whether or not there is a theoretical or practical limit to how many usb drives you canb run on windows 10

Depends on the number of USB-controllers in your system. The theoretical maximum is 127 devices per controller, but you'll hit bandwidth-limits way before that. Also, you'd obviously have to have external power on all those devices.

5 minutes ago, aimingyou said:

Also if there's a difference between the versions of win10

No.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Depends on the number of USB-controllers in your system. The theoretical maximum is 127 devices per controller, but you'll hit bandwidth-limits way before that. Also, you'd obviously have to have external power on all those devices.

No.

Well i hav a few hubs with a capacity of 30, I was just thinking of using those. But ostensibly I should try and find a motherboard with extra usb-controllers if this is my main concern?

3 minutes ago, aimingyou said:

Well i hav a few hubs with a capacity of 30, I was just thinking of using those. But ostensibly I should try and find a motherboard with extra usb-controllers if this is my main concern?

Those hubs don't increase the maximum number of devices that can be connected, the limit is still 127. They don't increase bandwidth, either.

Why are you planning to run so many USB-drivers and will they be SSDs or HDDs? Do the enclosures/SATA-to-USB-adapters supports UASP? UASP is a technique that reduces the overhead of the USB-protocol when used for storage. Without UASP, you practically get about half the maximum bandwidth, ie. for USB 3.0 you'd get half of the 5Gbps-maximum, ie. 2.5Gbps.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Those hubs don't increase the maximum number of devices that can be connected, the limit is still 127. They don't increase bandwidth, either.

Why are you planning to run so many USB-drivers and will they be SSDs or HDDs? Do the enclosures/SATA-to-USB-adapters supports UASP? UASP is a technique that reduces the overhead of the USB-protocol when used for storage. Without UASP, you practically get about half the maximum bandwidth, ie. for USB 3.0 you'd get half of the 5Gbps-maximum, ie. 2.5Gbps.

Well my dad runs a small web company that makes apps for logistics companies. Essentially they want to avoid using smart cards because they'd have to go and buy a solution that costs something like 5-6000 DKK.

https://www.lisledesign.com/products/hyper-card-rack-120

I was thinking something like getting a small computer and putting in a pcie usb expansion card, but if it still goes back to the controller in the os or on the motherboard that idea seems moot.