pc upgrade compatibility down the line

Budget (including currency): 900-1100 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming @1080-1440p medium to high settings, general writing, university, and light-medium video editing (not emphasized) 

Other details parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YzFBJb

i've been talking the build with my uncle and he was recommending i beef up my GPU and i said that i wanted to keep it simple and upgrade down the line. that was his reponse and it got me thinking.

"This is from my experience for over 15 years
Every time we want an upgrade
We went through compatibility issue
Specially backwards compatibility
I need to add ram
Sorry your motherboard doesn’t support the new standard
I need to change cpu
Sorry you cannot
We went through this many times"

we talked this topic for a while now, and I do believe he has a very valid point, so i promised to do my research and hear what the more experienced builders of today's standards and given advancements have to say! 

EDIT: i plan on having a 3-5 year upgrade cycle, mostly 5

EDIT 2: new parts list link: 

thank you for your help!

3 minutes ago, FateConquerer said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming @1080-1440p medium to high settings, general writing, university, and light-medium video editing (not emphasized) 

i've been talking the build with my uncle and he was recommending i beef up my GPU and i said that i wanted to keep it simple and upgrade down the line. that was his reponse and it got me thinking.

I need to add ram
I need to change cpu
Sorry you cannot

we talked this topic for a while now, and I do believe he has a very valid point, so i promised to do my research and hear what the more experienced builders of today's standards and given advancements have to say! 

thank you for your help!

The motherboard and cpu are good. Everything else goes. Get 16gb of Ripjaws 3600mhz cl16 Ram, a Crucial p2 nvme ssd, a Seagate barracuda 2tb hdd, a decent rx 5600xt or EVGA 2060 KO, a Phanteks p400a (case), and a Corsair CX psu. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, FateConquerer said:

I need to add ram
I need to change cpu
Sorry you cannot

thank you for your help!

The motherboard and cpu are good. Everything else goes. Get 16gb of Ripjaws 3600mhz cl16 Ram, a Crucial p2 nvme ssd, a Seagate barracuda 2tb hdd, a decent rx 5600xt or EVGA 2060 KO, a Phanteks p400a (case), and a Corsair CX psu. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

25 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

alright, checked the build out and just good too. i would like to know why  you chose the reasoning behind going for RTX 2060 over the 1660 as both are 6gb (I'm quite the beginner, trying to learn, sorry if the question is too dumb or basic)? what about the case? Thanks 

1 minute ago, FateConquerer said:

alright, checked the build out and just good too. i would like to know why  you chose the reasoning behind going for RTX 2060 over the 1660 as both are 6gb (I'm quite the beginner, trying to learn, sorry if the question is too dumb or basic)? what about the case? Thanks 

Or the rx 5600xt. Basically it's the processor or "core," of It which is different, the 6gb is just the G-ram which matters but isn't everything. Enjoy your pc!

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Or the rx 5600xt. Basically it's the processor or "core," of It which is different, the 6gb is just the G-ram which matters but isn't everything. Enjoy your pc!

i understand, thanks. the build is still until summer, now let me hope i find the parts for a decent as stated price and not marked up! 

1 minute ago, FateConquerer said:

i understand, thanks. the build is still until summer, now let me hope i find the parts for a decent as stated price and not marked up! 

Right now they're marked up being honest. They shouldn't be in the summer

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Right now they're marked up being honest. They shouldn't be in the summer

I see! also, you haven't given me insight on the upgrade down the line, if you have any opinions on that, that is! for i also want to figure if my uncle has a point, or if its just exaggerated due to the older times when components really were that bad with compatibility due to huge jumps in architecture and features and designs in a very short amount of time because of infancy of the whole thing

Just now, FateConquerer said:

I see! also, you haven't given me insight on the upgrade down the line, if you have any opinions on that, that is! for i also want to figure if my uncle has a point, or if its just exaggerated due to the older times when components really were that bad with compatibility due to huge jumps in architecture and features and designs in a very short amount of time because of infancy of the whole thing

Really, 4th gen AMD chips probably will be compatible with your motherboard, but not 5th gen, but all the other hardware will, so worst case scenario for the next... like 4 years you just upgrade your motherboard and cpu, if you want to upgrade your cpu, for the rest you can just set and "forget". 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Really, 4th gen AMD chips probably will be compatible with your motherboard, but not 5th gen, but all the other hardware will, so worst case scenario for the next... like 4 years you just upgrade your motherboard and cpu, if you want to upgrade your cpu, for the rest you can just set and "forget". 

hmmm. so if i happen to want to upgrade ram/storage/GPU they can be done independently? i would say it is logical that upgrading CPU after 5 years would result in needing to upgrade the MB! 
EDIT: after upgrading the MB, is there a high chance that my current GPU/RAM would become incompatible?

2 minutes ago, FateConquerer said:

hmmm. so if i happen to want to upgrade ram/storage/GPU they can be done independently? i would say it is logical that upgrading CPU after 5 years would result in needing to upgrade the MB! 
EDIT: after upgrading the MB, is there a high chance that my current GPU/RAM would become incompatible?

What I'm saying is everything else besides the cpu can be upgraded without a single other change for 4-5 years, the cpu  two years later though, to upgrade that you'll need to upgrade the motherboard. When you upgrade your motherboard (depending on the motherboard) in 3-5 years, eventually the RAM will be incompatible, but not the GPU- even though the GPU is probably the first thing you'd want to upgrade if you had to pick 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

What I'm saying is everything else besides the cpu can be upgraded without a single other change for 4-5 years, the cpu  two years later though, to upgrade that you'll need to upgrade the motherboard. When you upgrade your motherboard (depending on the motherboard) in 3-5 years, eventually the RAM will be incompatible, but not the GPU- even though the GPU is probably the first thing you'd want to upgrade if you had to pick 

so to sum up generally: cpu will be incompatible within 2-3 gens, ram can last to around 6 give or take. gpu is hardly every incompatible, ram lasts a while, and cpu and MB are kind of a together package! did i get this correctly

8 hours ago, FateConquerer said:

so to sum up generally: cpu will be incompatible within 2-3 gens, ram can last to around 6 give or take. gpu is hardly every incompatible, ram lasts a while, and cpu and MB are kind of a together package! did i get this correctly

Yes you need a new motherboard for 5th+ gen ryzens. But if you buy r5 3600 you can upgrade to 4900x in 2-5 years. 4900x will be a good cpu for many years.

New ram is coming late next year so the ram will last around 2-3 generations.

The gpu lasts you for 2-5 years depending when you need better performance

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

6 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

Yes you need a new motherboard for 5th+ gen ryzens. But if you buy r5 3600 you can upgrade to 4900x in 2-5 years. 4900x will be a good cpu for many years.

New ram is coming late next year so the ram will last around 2-3 generations.

The gpu lasts you for 2-5 years depending when you need better performance

thank you. i am not the type of person who runs after bleeding edge and ultra @ 4k, just what i need in terms of performance with a bit of headroom for the future! so i am not worried about next gen or even next 4 gens as long as there is no massive jump or my hardware gets damaged. so ddr5 or 4000 series isnt gonna be on my priority list at all! I'd rather on getting a better experience with interface elements such as better keyboard and mouse and monitor than latest and greatest. to clarify, I'm typing this on a windows dual booted 13 inch macbook pro 2015 (first and last mbp lol), on which i play League, nfs titles up to 2012, call of duty mw3 and such. sure, they arent latest AAA games, but my measly Iis integrated graphics did me well on medium 720p, id only imagine how long this build is gonna last!

if i come off ranting or aggressive, i'd be terribly sorry, i'm just explaining