Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cat 6 cable next to low voltage power cable.

Laro

Hi, 

I am moving into a house where i have a modem in the house, there is only one tube to the attic where i have to use a switch to share my internet to other rooms. In that tube there is a fiber optic cable and a cat 6 utp cable. In the attic there is no power so in order to power the switch i want to cut the cable off the switch, plug it in then extend the cable to the switch in the attic. Would the magnetic field in that power cable make any noise in the utp cable or that 5-12V doesn't matter at all? As i read there is no standard distance between power cables and utp cables, only a mechanic separation is mandatory for safety, but that doesn't matter at low voltage so i am not sure about it. 

I have no idea if its a good cable or not, but i guess cat 6 standard should be decent enough. 

Thank you :)

I'd be wary of cutting the power cable off and extending it as 12V doesn't go far before the voltage drop becomes a problem.  You'd need to at least use a much thicker cable to compensate.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (~940Mbit peak) + Ubiquiti nanoHD (OpenWRT)
ISPs: Zen VDSL (66Mbit) + Lebara 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~700Mbit during quiet hours, ~500Mbit peak hours)