HDD issue No Media on New Hard Drive

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I am having an issue with a 2tb HDD 

i am trying to put it in an older pc and it wont seem to start with it being plugged in. (i have a bootable flash drive ready to put windows 10 on it)

I plug it into my laptop via sata w/ power to usb to see if i could format it but it says there is no media and i can not intialize the disk either. the option isnt there. and i tried using the cmd to create a partition in it but it says there is no volume to partition. 

Any ideas on what to do next? 

On 5/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, jjbeebe said:

I would try to use hirens boot cd/usb on the computer to see if it comes up under disk management, format if possible in hirens (disk management)  then use the installation usb. Can you also provide what hard drive you are using and computer spec? 

Hirens 

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

So i can see it in disk management i can not see it in the partition tool on Hiren. 

I am using a dell inspiron 15 

i5 8gb ram 250gb storage 

windows 10

to format the drive, then i am trying to put the hard drive into a desktop that is a lenovo with 8gb ram (hopefully windows 10) E2-3200 cpu

Disk Manager Device is working properly.PNG

Disk Manager No Initialize.png

Disk Manager 2tb hard drive.PNG

On 5/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, jjbeebe said:

I would try to use hirens boot cd/usb on the computer to see if it comes up under disk management, format if possible in hirens (disk management)  then use the installation usb. Can you also provide what hard drive you are using and computer spec? 

Hirens 

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Oh and i am using a Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch

What USB to Sata adaptor are you using?

I dont think you can power a 3.5" internal HDD over USB to sata interface alone as it does not provide enough power over usb to power the drive up properly. I had same issue with my USB to sata adaptor with internal 3.5" HDD (it is fine with 2.5" laptop hdd and ssd drives).  Disk manager shows up as no media just like your screenshots.

Only way I could power the 3.5" internal drive properly was to use external enclosure with power brick