headphone recommendations for OculusRift S

VioDuskar

I've got an Oculus Rift S coming next week and i've heard that the Audio is.... less than immersive? 
That being said, does anyone have any suggestions for headphones that they know fits will over the "Halo" band? 

I've used the old Rift and think the built in headphones were acceptable. I don't need it to be super loud, i prefer good clarity and 5.1 or 7.1 simulated sound for a more immersive experience in VR. 

i've heard that simply using earbuds and plugging them in to the headset or via bluetooth is an easy option, but i don't think it will quite simulate the "surround" feel of the audio properly. 

TL,DR; got a Rift S, need good surround sound headphone suggestions.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Koss PortaPro is never a bad option. Good sound, comfortable, and cheap so you won't feel bad if you want to mod them. "Simulated 5.1 and 7.1" are both marketing nonsense, they've still only got 2 drivers so they'll only be doing what any other 2 driver headphones do, and multi-driver headphones sound awful because all the drivers need to be tiny.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Totally forgot about the Koss SportaPro, same headphones but they clip on to your ears go around your neck. Eliminates the need to worry about the headband entirely.

Edited by BobVonBob
Was thinking of a different pair of headphones, point still stands.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

8 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

- "Simulated 5.1 and 7.1" are both marketing nonsense, they've still only got 2 drivers -

I know this, hence I say "Simulated" the actual products market themselves as 5.1 and 7.1 but we all know there aren't 5 or 7 woofers and a subwoofer packed in there. 

but the use of a good driver and supporting software help simulate the surround sound feeling. 

I'm all for bang for buck, but Koss seems kinda... cheap?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

16 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

I know this, hence I say "Simulated" the actual products market themselves as 5.1 and 7.1 but we all know there aren't 5 or 7 woofers and a subwoofer packed in there. 

but the use of a good driver and supporting software help simulate the surround sound feeling. 

I'm all for bang for buck, but Koss seems kinda... cheap?

Koss is sorta famous for that, doesn't mean they are bad, just means there is better. Sorta like a ford truck. And i hope you have your garter belt on, because this'll blow your socks off. You can use that software on any headphone, most games already have it built in too.

30 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Koss PortaPro is never a bad option. Good sound, comfortable, and cheap so you won't feel bad if you want to mod them. "Simulated 5.1 and 7.1" are both marketing nonsense, they've still only got 2 drivers so they'll only be doing what any other 2 driver headphones do, and multi-driver headphones sound awful because all the drivers need to be tiny.

In that case would a ksc 75 be more comfortable? Basically the same level of fidelity. Just different sound sig and design. 

3 minutes ago, EmoRarity said:

Koss is sorta famous for that, doesn't mean they are bad, just means there is better. Sorta like a ford truck. And i hope you have your garter belt on, because this'll blow your socks off. You can use that software on any headphone, most games already have it built in too.

my socks are still on. I'm also aware of this, but some headphones just do it way better than others.

my logitech g933s did a really good job of it over USB wireless, but the pairing on them sucks and they're 3 ticks away from useless if used with a 3.5mm cable. 

i've got a pair of skullcrusher wireless headphones by skullcandy and i'm seeing reviews say they fit decently over the halo. might give them a try. 

Just now, rice guru said:

In that case would a ksc 75 be more comfortable? Basically the same level of fidelity. Just different sound sig and design. 

Those are the ones I was thinking of! I knew Koss made something like that, I just couldn't remember what it was.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

I would take a look at Tin t2 or the super cheap qkz vk4 their imaging performance is pretty good and the Tins  have decent rear imaging. 

16 minutes ago, EmoRarity said:

As much of a fan of koss as I am owning like 4 different sets of cans by them. That build quality literally kills me Everytime I want to use a koss product. 

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

As much of a fan of koss as I am owning like 4 different sets of cans by them. That build quality literally kills me Everytime I want to use a koss product. 

Thats a lot of death my mans. 

3 minutes ago, EmoRarity said:

Thats a lot of death my mans. 

Yep I do get a res putting on beyers and senns as build is generally great

11 hours ago, rice guru said:

Yep I do get a res putting on beyers and senns as build is generally great

I finally get to go home for a day, when im there im going to swap my Sennheisers over for my shures.

4 hours ago, EmoRarity said:

I finally get to go home for a day, when im there im going to swap my Sennheisers over for my shures.

Which senns and which shures? I assume a 280 swapped with a w

Srh 440?