Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Only need 550w but 650w psu not working? Help?

Hi All

New here so I'm sure if this is the right place to ask this, apologies if not but hooray if so. I also could not find if something like this had been asked before but it does seem quite specific.

Just built a new system, will post specs down below, but I wanted to used my old PSU (EVGA SUPERNOVA 650 G2) from my existing computer for this as all the calculators ect say that I need 550w minimum and the other power supply I received was cheap (due to the shortage at the moment) and didn't have all the right connectors although it is a 750w (ACE BLACK 750W PSU).

I plugged everything in along with the older 650w psu from my old computer, powered on and it posted fine. Rebooted to install windows, the installer got to 20% and everything died, now the water cooler on the CPU was warm to the touch so I quickly swapped this out for the stock fan to be on the semi safe side, plugged the 650w psu back in but nothing, no case lights no nothing, panic that I blew something up. I plug in the cheap 750w PSU and bingo everything works, great so I test the 650w to make sure this didn't blow by just plugging in the mother board and case lights and these powered on, swap over the power supplies so that the 650w is now in but I get nothing again.

I have now swapped back to my old computer for the time being where the 650w psu is plugged in and this is working fine.

Am I missing something?

Specs -

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x

GPU - RX 580

RAM - 2x8GB 3200

Motherboard - MSI B450M Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

If you need anymore info, let me know.

Thanks

Sounds from here like the problem was a misinstalled connector and repluffing everything when you swapped PSUs fixed it.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This might be the Over Current Protection kicked in from the PSU.

Anyway, how old is your PSU?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

22 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

That would be interesting, considering the PSU does not have OCP on the 12V rail.

37 minutes ago, The Lumberjack Pirate said:

Rebooted to install windows, the installer got to 20% and everything died

As in....?

:)

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds from here like the problem was a misinstalled connector and repluffing everything when you swapped PSUs fixed it.

Hmm I'm not sure, at first everything worked and I made sure everything was clipped back into place each time I removed something.

20 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Anyway, how old is your PSU?

To be honest I am not 100% as I didn't build my previous machine but I would say around 2/3 years.

Another thing worth noting is that the wife has the same setup but has used the cheaper 750w psu which only has a 4pin CPU connector, hers seems to work fine. Whereas my older 650w psu has the 8pin and a 4+4pin of which I plugged in the 8pin as I read that the additional 4pin connect on the motherboard is for extra power if overclocking?

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That would be interesting, considering the PSU does not have OCP on the 12V rail.

As in....?

As in the power switched off, screen went black as there was no signal, all the fans stopped spinning then the case lights powered off.