APA102 Led Strip on ASUS Aura?

cluelessgenius

so my mainboard only has has the old school 12v-R-G-B Header and even asus` fancy RGB controller hub while supporting adressable LED strips only offer those 12v-Data-GND   3pin headers. 

now the APA102 has 12v-Data-Clock-GND. so right now im using APA strips for my desk and control them with a raspberry pi zero but i was just wondering if it was possible to get some kind of converter or use an arduino or something to get APA102 strips controllable by aura. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

6 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

so my mainboard only has has the old school 12v-R-G-B Header and even asus` fancy RGB controller hub while supporting adressable LED strips only offer those 12v-Data-GND   3pin headers. 

now the APA102 has 12v-Data-Clock-GND. so right now im using APA strips for my desk and control them with a raspberry pi zero but i was just wondering if it was possible to get some kind of converter or use an arduino or something to get APA102 strips controllable by aura. 

3 pin ARGb uses 5V power, data and ground, same for the APA102 which has two data lines instead and 5V power. There would be no appreciable difference using WS2812S over the APA102 for lighting effects since you already have that option build into your controller. 

there is argb 12v and rgb 5v but the stranded used in all mb and most controller is argb 5v and rgb 12v. if you infact do have a 12v argb then your going to have to get the power form your psu instead of the mb and connect the data in to that data port. the data out is for connecting another strip to it. so say you get anotehr strip you connect the data in port on the new strip with the data out of the old strip.

one other factor is not all mb or controllers work with all strips and argb devices depending on the pwm frecncy square wave. it might not work at all or flicker but worth a shot.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

22 hours ago, W-L said:

3 pin ARGb uses 5V power, data and ground, same for the APA102 which has two data lines instead and 5V power. There would be no appreciable difference using WS2812S over the APA102 for lighting effects since you already have that option build into your controller. 

yes sorry so the adressable one have 5v not 12 and can vary between 3 pin and 4 pin but mobos all seem to expect 3 pin.

im not looking for buying recommendations. the thing is i already have apa102 stripes that are left over from an old project where i controlled them with a raspberry pi. i was just looking for a way to recycle those :)

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

there is argb 12v and rgb 5v but the stranded used in all mb and most controller is argb 5v and rgb 12v. if you infact do have a 12v argb then your going to have to get the power form your psu instead of the mb and connect the data in to that data port. the data out is for connecting another strip to it. so say you get anotehr strip you connect the data in port on the new strip with the data out of the old strip.

one other factor is not all mb or controllers work with all strips and argb devices depending on the pwm frecncy square wave. it might not work at all or flicker but worth a shot.

yeah i mispoke there i got 5v-data-clock-gnd ones and they work great for the strip around my desk where i control them with pi zero but im realising those are kinda nichee now. and most adressable ones use 3pin 5v and most non-adressable use 12v-g-r-b 

i guess i`ll keep them for something else at soem point and just get some compatible strips for the system.

btw does anyone know why its so hard to find 144/m non-adressable rgb strips. all the dense 144/m strip seem to be adressable. and non-adressable once are 60/m at most. but i have yet to understand why.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

27 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

yes sorry so the adressable one have 5v not 12 and can vary between 3 pin and 4 pin but mobos all seem to expect 3 pin.

im not looking for buying recommendations. the thing is i already have apa102 stripes that are left over from an old project where i controlled them with a raspberry pi. i was just looking for a way to recycle those :)

yeah i mispoke there i got 5v-data-clock-gnd ones and they work great for the strip around my desk where i control them with pi zero but im realising those are kinda nichee now. and most adressable ones use 3pin 5v and most non-adressable use 12v-g-r-b 

i guess i`ll keep them for something else at soem point and just get some compatible strips for the system.

btw does anyone know why its so hard to find 144/m non-adressable rgb strips. all the dense 144/m strip seem to be adressable. and non-adressable once are 60/m at most. but i have yet to understand why.

like i said your strips are usable just your going to need a 3 pin connector and solder that to it.

corsair uses the 5v data in data out ground

corair lian li bykski barrow argb pin out 3.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

like i said your strips are usable just your going to need a 3 pin connector and solder that to it.

corsair uses the 5v data in data out ground

91V8Wq-HYIL._AC_SX679_.jpg

i dont think they are the same