My Desktop HDD pcb melted and I would like to try to recover the data

Basicly the title, My primary drive PCB cought on fire and I would like to try to recover the data for as cheap as possible. I was informed by reddit that simply replacing the PCB with one from an identical drive won't work.

Any ideas on how I can recover my data or am I better off just starting over.

HDD specs:

Seagate Barracuda 160gb 7200.12

(st3160318AS)

1 minute ago, InvinciblePie said:

Basicly the title, My primary drive PCB cought on fire and I would like to try to recover the data for as cheap as possible. I was informed by reddit that simply replacing the PCB with one from an identical drive won't work.

HDD specs:

(st3160318AS)

A drive recovery service will be your best bet.

1 minute ago, InvinciblePie said:

HDD specs:

(st3160318AS)

yeah my idea was to change the pcb with an identical one(and while i dont see why it wouldnt work i'd recommend searching around the web)

another option is to go to a data recovery service like the one linus showcased in a video

Drive recovery service or give up. That drive isn't coming back.

Quick explanation of why swapping the PCB won't work, drives are individually tuned to account for manufacturing variance. Different drives have different tuning parameters, and running one drive with another's PCB will often result in the drive head not being aligned with the data tracks on the platters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

You pay a few hundred dollars for a data recovery service.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi,

As you said it is already melted due to fire then it won't cost you few dollars rather it will require you to spend many dollars. Data recovery from the drive which is not physically damaged can be possible at the affordable price because it can be execute with the help of a data recovery software. But your drive is damaged physically then you have to send it to data repairing center and they will charge a big amount for this.