Which is the better psu the Corsair 650W rmx 2018 or the Corsair 650 rm 2019 ?

Mitzy
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

The RM (2019) is a cheaper version of the RMx (2018). Based off the same platform but the RM 2019 is designed to meet new energy efficiency targets that system integrators will need to meet for their systems in the state of Cancer (may cause California). It does this with a newer LLC resonant controller which boosts efficiency at low loads. Since it's targeted at system integrators it's also had a few cost cutting measures to keep the price lower. Cheaper fan, cheaper hold up capacitor, cheaper cables (without inline caps).

The RM650 uses an upgraded platform, provided by the same manufacturer (CWT) that made the RM650x. There several essential differences between those two platforms, as you can see in the table above. The areas where the RM650x wins are the higher quality Japanese caps and the NR135L fan. On the other hand, the RM650 uses a new resonant controller, allowing for higher efficiency under light loads, and it is equipped with an electromagnetic relay which enhances its inrush current protection. On top of that, it uses a micro-controller in the fan control circuit so Corsair can easily tune the fan's speed and provide the ideal fan speed profile.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm650-power-supply,6187.html

The Tom's Hardware review linked also has a side by side comparison of the components used in both the RM 2019 and RMx. Though from the components listed (and lack of relay bypass for the thermistor) that appears to be comparing to the older RMx not the 2018 version.

Both are fine and neither will blow up your system, but the RMx is the better of the two if you aren't required to meet those low load efficiency targets.

9 hours ago, MiinD said:

yeah but this is for a psu the x in  a psu wount make a difference they have the same watt and the same rating so its really just basd of price.

There's more to a power supply than how many watts it's rated to deliver and what its efficiency rating is. There is a difference between the two units and they did not just scratch off the x from the label and sell it as the RM (2019). This also wouldn't even make sense to do financially since the RM (2019) MSRP is $10 lower than the RMx (2018) so by your reasoning they would be releasing the same power supply at a cheaper price when they could just keep selling it under the RMx (2018) branding at a higher price. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t  whether a Corsair rmx 650w 2018 is better than the Corsair rm 650w 2019 

RM650x is a step up from the RM650 (w/o an X).

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

RM650x is a step up from the RM650 (w/o an X).

Yes but the rmx is 2018 while the rm is 2019 and what your saying is the 2019 model which is newer is worse than the 2018 model

Just now, Mitzy said:

Yes but the rmx is 2018 while the rm is 2019 

dont look at the date look at the prefromene. espacially when it comes to PSUs. 

1 minute ago, Mitzy said:

Yes but the rmx is 2018 while the rm is 2019 

It doesnt matter if it was make 10 years ago if its better it better.

Just now, MiinD said:

dont look at the date look at the prefromene. espacially when it comes to PSUs. 

Ok which one do you think is better out of the 2 then

Yes but the rmx is 2018 while the rm is 2019 and what your saying is the 2019 model which is newer is worse than the 2018 model

That just means what year it was released.   I hate when they do that.  But they do that to show you that it's the RM from 2019 as opposed to the RM from 2014.

RM does NOT REPLACE RMx. 

They co-exist in the market.

RMx was out, then they said, "let's make a cheaper version and differentiate it by removing the 'x'" and that happened a year later.  

THE RMX!!@!!!!!!@!O@#!IO#$PW@P$%$O
@502-93

tbh there really this same thing the X it just a way for companies to sell the same product for more

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

@502-93

dont be mean

1 minute ago, MiinD said:

dont be mean

he's probably frustrated because he works for corsair so simple differences that he has to explain a lot are a little annoying

they're definitely not "the same thing"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Mitzy said:

Oh ok

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

@502-93

tbh there really this same thing the X it just a way for companies to sell the same product for more

I’ve just noticed the 2019 one has an additional connector opposed to the rmx model 

Just now, Mitzy said:

Oh ok

I’ve just noticed the 2019 one has an additional connector opposed to the rmx model 

thoes dont matter that for if you wanna do high over clocking

Ah ok so I can do without even if I want to do a tiny bit of over clocking right 

2 minutes ago, MiinD said:

thoes dont matter that for if you wanna do high over clocking

So I can do a bit of overclocking without the connector then right?

So I can do a bit of overclocking without the connector then right?

yeah dont pay attention to thoes. you can still do a lot just not as much the difference it small

Ye the amount that you need that additional connector apparently would fry the cpu if

yeah dont pay attention to thoes. you can still do a lot just not as much the difference it small

did that much apparently 

12 minutes ago, MiinD said:

That is completely incorrect. 

All either of you guys need to do is read a review of each... which exist in ad nauseaum. 

4 minutes ago, Mitzy said:

Ye the amount that you need that additional connector apparently would fry the cpu if

did that much apparently 

wym?

As in apparently if I were to overclock with that additional 4 pin connector I would have to really overclock to really see the need for it then the normal amounts of overclocking and live with out it

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

All either of you guys need to do is read a review of each... which exist in ad nauseaum. 

yeah but this is for a psu the x in  a psu wount make a difference they have the same watt and the same rating so its really just basd of price.

4 minutes ago, MiinD said:

wym?

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

And of course one has an extra slot one doesn’t but both can overclock right just the newer one slightly more due to the additional slot 4 pin connector 

Just now, Mitzy said:

And of course one has an extra slot one doesn’t but both can overclock right

yeah they can

6 minutes ago, MiinD said:

You apparently have this misconception that "total watts" is the only thing that matters. 

I suggest you read some PSU reviews before giving incorrect advice to others. 

Have you ever read a PSU review?