Ryzen 7 3700x running HOT

So I just recently made the transition form Xbox after 10 years and built my first PC. I've been having some cooling issues with my cpu. I have a 3700x with an H100i rgb platinum. My case is the corsair crystal 280x. I'm also running a 5700 xt Red devil. I have been experimenting with different fan placement. 6 120mm fans in total. 2 in the front as intake, 2 at the bottom as intake blowing fresh air onto the gpu, and i initially had 2 at the top as exhaust which was where I also had my 240mm radiator(the only place it will fit). Under full load my gpu is hitting a cool 68°C while my cpu keeps hitting 85°C under full load and throttling back a little bit. I had the autoboost on in ryzen master so it shoots it up to 4.4ghz when it can but the throttles to about 4ghz. I tied making the top fans with the radiator intake and making the bottom exhaust and my temp for cpu barely even moved while my gpu when up to about 82°C. So I switched them back and then I tried making all six of my fans intakes being that my case has a back grill thats more or less open and you can't mount a fan there. With all fans as intake my gpu cooled down to 68°C while my cpu is slightly better than initially but still hits 85°C. What can I do to get my cpu temp down to where it doesn't throttle? I want to overlook it and from what I've read and seen online, a 240mm AIO should be enough to keep a 3700x cool enough to not throttle with its rated boost clock. And in a case like the crystal 280 is it OK to have all fans as intake and then pressure just blows hot air out of the back? I really like being able to see my LL120 fans through the top glass but I will set them up as exhaust if I have to.

20200430_032927.jpg

20200503_040226.jpg

20200505_193510.jpg

might consider going in and redoing the thermal paste. also, possibly bad water cooler, do you have a stock cooler to swap in to compare?

edit: also, welcome to the superior world of pc gaming lol. great build, especially for a first.

14 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

especially for a first.

Especially without LTT forum! :)

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

Especially without LTT forum! :)

i did it w/o, granted i wouldn't of had to learn everything the hard way.

6 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

might consider going in and redoing the thermal paste. also, possibly bad water cooler, do you have a stock cooler to swap in to compare?

edit: also, welcome to the superior world of pc gaming lol. great build, especially for a first.

I do have the wraith prism that I can thrown on and see how it runs to compare.

It would appear, but correct me if I'm mistaken here...., that the entire case heat is exiting through the Cpu radiator.

You may want to exhaust some of that case heat out the back there instead of all of it through the cpu rad.

Sorry if that's not how this is configured, I can't tell the orientation of the fans...

Are you throttling during gaming or stress testing?

I recommend doing a manual voltage set and possibly OC.

what are the voltages? try to diable Core performance boost in bios

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

31 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It would appear, but correct me if I'm mistaken here...., that the entire case heat is exiting through the Cpu radiator.

You may want to exhaust some of that case heat out the back there instead of all of it through the cpu rad.

Sorry if that's not how this is configured, I can't tell the orientation of the fans...

Initially I had the 2 rad fans as exhaust and the other 4 as intakes. I then i swapped the 2 at the bottom to be exhaust and the rad fans and intake. It didnt really even make a difference with the cpu temp but my gpu temp suffered. I the swapped the 2 at the botton to be intakes to blow fresh air in the gpu, the rad fans are intake, and my front fans are also intake. So having all fans positive pressure pushes all the hot air out of the back. Whether that's more efficient than having 2 dedicated exhaust fans, idk.

2 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

Are you throttling during gaming or stress testing?

I recommend doing a manual voltage set and possibly OC.

it does throttle under stress, I'm gonna try and manually mess with stuff

2 hours ago, TesticleTactics said:

The Corsair Crystal 280X is a poorly designed case to start with.

It has solid glass panels at the FRONT and TOP RESTRICTING airflow.

You basically have tiny slits / ventilation on the sides for the cool air to intake from the front, and exhaust out the top.

How are your temperatures if you REMOVE the side and/or TOP glass panel?

Do you see a significant CPU temperature drop?

If you do, then airflow is the cause of the problem -- or is part of the problem.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

10 hours ago, TesticleTactics said:

I had great luck undervolting and OCing my 3600. I run 4.2ghz all core @ 1.17V for F@H etc to keep temps down (55C or so) and I've been stable at 4.4ghz all core @ 1.32 gaming (56C is the highest I've seen, usually lower) but I'm not stable above 4.35ghz for F@H, blender etc with a voltage I'm comfortable with.

11 hours ago, -rascal- said:

You basically have tiny slits / ventilation on the sides for the cool air to intake from the front, and exhaust out the top.

If you do, then airflow is the cause of the problem -- or is part of the problem.

So I did take all panels off and it did make a difference. Not a big one though, roughly 4 or 5 degrees. However I did do a manual voyage set and OC and I got all cores to 4.2ghz at 1.225v and Temps will all panels on under stress don't exceed 78c usually sits at 77c most of the time. That's a lot better than what it was. When I set it to the auto precision boost Ryzen master was wanting to run the chip around 1.4v +/-.5v at only 4.1-4.2ghz boost. Thats why my temps where so high.

On 5/6/2020 at 5:05 AM, -rascal- said:

Honestly, even though the case has glass panels, there is a relatively significant gap around all of the panels. It really dosent make much difference with all panels on vs off. I feel that if you have 6 fans in it, it defenitly has adequate airflow.