HDD not responding and causes the whole system to freeze

Hello!

(edit: do not write a meaningless comment, like 'you shouldn't have done this/that'.. that ain't gonna help.. thank you!)

I hope someone has knowledge about the relationship between HDDs and Windows.

I had a external HDD sent to me with the problem "It beeps and cannot be detected at all". (Said HDD: Seagate ST1000LM024 (Samsung))

I found out that the heads in this series have a tendency to become stuck after sudden power loss, so I opened the HDD up, and there it was.. the heads were stuck and I pulled them back to the parking zone.

After that, I connected the drive to a PC and all the data seemed available, but just in case I ran a data recovery tool instead of simply copying them. Then the PC crashed while the recovery was still running, and when I restarted it, it simply refused to boot. After some tries, I detached the said disk form the system, and it worked again.

After it was up and running, I reattached the HDD and windows gave the familiar sound of something's been attached, but it has not appeared even after several minutes.

When I tried to refresh the list of disks the whole system froze up and remained unresponsive until I unplugged the said disk.

I tried on another windows system, then with linux, but no luck so far.

I assume it has something to do with the sectors being damaged by the stuck heads and the repair process, and after the first try, the drive realized that it is faulty, so refused to work.

However it seems unlikely, because the HDD spins up properly and I can feel/hear the heads clicking inside (no, not like it would if the drive was damaged), but still that is the most likely idea I could come up.

So I would appreciate if someone with more knowledge in this field could help me out.

Thank you in advance!

9 minutes ago, MyWaifuMeiAihara said:

I found out that the heads in this series have a tendency to become stuck after sudden power loss, so I opened the HDD up, and there it was.. the heads were stuck and I pulled them back to the parking zone.

You most likely damaged the drive when you did that. It's a bad idea to open up an HDD unless you've got a good, over-pressure clean-room and even then you have to be really careful with the heads. A tiny speckle of dust getting inside can wreak massive amounts of havoc inside.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

21 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You most likely damaged the drive when you did that. It's a bad idea to open up an HDD unless you've got a good, over-pressure clean-room and even then you have to be really careful with the heads. A tiny speckle of dust getting inside can wreak massive amounts of havoc inside.

not to mention "pulled them back into the parking zone."

I think the main issue was not copying the data on a known bad drive once it was back up and running.

Now instead of some or all data recovered, it is zero data recovered.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

Thank you so far. Both of you were so helpful I cannot even express it.

First of (but I should have mentioned it), this is not the first drive i have opened up, but around the 4th, and all 3 I've tinkered with worked after that.

Second, I don't know what do you think, but telling someone what should have they done is not a solution to a problem, but anyways..

I don't want to be salty, but please.. do not write a meaningless comment, like 'you shouldn't have done this/that'.. that ain't gonna help..

Write something if you think that could be helpful to solve the problem.. please..