Thoughts on Asus Prime B450M-A?

Anyone has/had this mobo? What do you think of it?

Thanks!

PRIME B450M-A

Super low tier. I have one. I run a Ryzen AThlon 220ge in it. 

Whatcha like to know? 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Super low tier. I have one. I run a Ryzen AThlon 220ge in it. 

Whatcha like to know? 

Nothing in concrete really, I bought it for a new PC that I built for myself but hasn't arrived yet and I was just wondering how it performed and all of that, the audio quality for example, or the quality of the VRMs (I imagine that they're not very good).

Here's the full config:

imagen.png.f0e99ea9cd8a78367912c9111ef5e3d7.png

OK, if you are buying a B450 board, you may want to contact the seller and be sure it's shipped with an updated bios to support Ryzen 3000 series processors.

A 2600 or 2600x would be a great purchase for that board and features SMT if they cannot promise bios support for the 3500. Likely at a lower price.

Do you need NVME SSD? You can save some money for a better motherboards. The MSI tomahawk lines allow you overclock without any issues(and also do bios updates without 1/2nd gen cpu and in most regions not that expensive compare to ASUS boards with that features). As for the case, I would look for a better airflow one instead of bling.

Magical Pineapples

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

OK, if you are buying a B450 board, you may want to contact the seller and be sure it's shipped with an updated bios to support Ryzen 3000 series processors.

A 2600 or 2600x would be a great purchase for that board and features SMT if they cannot promise bios support for the 3500. Likely at a lower price.

Yeah I know, was the first thing I asked and they did the BIOS update for me. About the mobo: is it just fine fot that system? I'm not gonna OC or do much adjustements, probably just use XMP for the RAM.

2 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

Do you need NVME SSD? You can save some money for a better motherboards. The MSI tomahawk lines allow you overclock without any issues. As for the case, I would look for a better airflow one instead of bling.

Mmmm I don't really need it but I tried one in a similar setup and I liked the speed for using it as a boot drive, I have like 3 HDDs on my current system that I will be using to store everything else. Anyway I already purchased it soooo I was just wondering if I bought well or if I screwed up. I choosed that case really because it was cheap (I don't really care for the looks, since I was on a reaaaaally tight budget) and came with a cooler, that the other ones available didn't.

Just now, Juanmacaam said:

Yeah I know, was the first thing I asked and they did the BIOS update for me. About the mobo: is it just fine fot that system? I'm not gonna OC or do much adjustements, probably just use XMP for the RAM.

Yes it will be ok for a 3500 Ryzen. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes it will be ok for a 3500 Ryzen. 

Do you have any idea if DOCP/XMP works fine on the board? Because I just read another post (really old though) that had problems with that, have you tried it?

Mmmm I don't really need it but I tried one in a similar setup and I liked the speed for using it as a boot drive, I have like 3 HDDs on my current system that I will be using to store everything else. Anyway I already purchased it soooo I was just wondering if I bought well or if I screwed up. I choosed that case really because it was cheap (I don't really care for the looks, since I was on a reaaaaally tight budget) and came with a cooler, that the other ones available didn't.

You could get larger capacity SSD instead. You won't see much a difference in boot times maybe a few seconds faster but do you really need a couple seconds faster? Hmm tight budget shouldn't even look at NVME ssd for the price you could have gotten double the capacity ...  If just gaming/daily work you don't need NVME ssd, SSD is fast enough for those tasks ....

Magical Pineapples

Do you have any idea if DOCP/XMP works fine on the board? Because I just read another post (really old though) that had problems with that, have you tried it?

I did try that. I was able to run 3000mt/s but had to post at a lower speed like 2666mt/s and work my way up to it. But that was on a earlier revision processor that supported only 2933mt/s, the 3500 will support up to 3200mt/s.

4 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

You could get larger capacity SSD instead. You won't see much a difference in boot times maybe a few seconds faster but do you really need a couple seconds faster? Hmm tight budget shouldn't even look at NVME ssd for the price you could have gotten double the capacity ...  If just gaming/daily work you don't need NVME ssd, SSD is fast enough for those tasks ....

Hmm I understand. I guess I got biased by the fancy names and speeds 🙃. Luckly, I didn't pay too much for it, something like 40 dollars at that time's change, for my country is somewhat cheap. But yeah, it's possible that I could get a better deal on a regular SSD. Thanks! I will consider it better next time.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I did try that. I was able to run 3000mt/s but had to post at a lower speed like 2666mt/s and work my way up to it. But that was on a earlier revision processor that supported only 2933mt/s, the 3500 will support up to 3200mt/s.

Weird 🤔. I guess I will try it out and see what happens haha. Anyway my RAM is 3200MHz (is not the one listed on the previous post) so it should run ok I think, based on what you said.