Gateron Milky Black vs Gateron Ink Black

Morsher

Hi. I'm looking to build a custom keyboard. I'm a linear guy. I hate clicky switches and i've never tried tactiles. So i can't say anything about them. Maybe i'll try 'em someday.
So i saw a few YT videos on Inks and Milkies compared to NovelKey Creams. And actually i liked the sound of Inks more than Creams. Can't say anything about the feel obviously but i think since i've been using Cherry MX Blacks for 4+ years i'll be satisfied with linear Gaterons as well. So i'm between Milkies and Inks. What are your thoughts?

18 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Why? 

Inks and milkies should be on opposite sides of NK Creams in terms of sound. 

Based on youtube videos. Creams make a high pitch sound and Inks make a low-end sound which i prefer better. I'm not saying Creams are much worse. It's just a preference. And Milkies sound pretty pleasing to me as well.

Just now, Morsher said:

Creams make a high pitch sound and Inks make a low-end sound which i prefer better.

Were all other things equal? Mic & settings, case, caps, plate, lube?  Because this is the opposite of my experience. And I have both Creams and Ink reds on hand. 

5 minutes ago, Morsher said:

Based on youtube videos. Creams make a high pitch sound and Inks make a low-end sound which i prefer better. I'm not saying Creams are much worse. It's just a preference. And Milkies sound pretty pleasing to me as well.

@geo3will correct me if I'm wrong but sound depends from the keyboard you put the switches in, not just switches themselves.

11 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Were all other things equal? Mic & settings, case, caps, plate, lube?  Because this is the opposite of my experience. And I have both Creams and Ink reds on hand. 

Well ofc. Same everything, different switches. I suppose a dude could have had a mic that translates the sound in a specific way. But nothing extraordinary.

3 minutes ago, Morsher said:

Well ofc. Same everything, different switches. I suppose a dude could have had a mic that translates the sound in a specific way. But nothing extraordinary.

Link the video if you can. Just curious.

3 minutes ago, nox_ said:

3:43 to a sound test

26 minutes ago, nox_ said:

You know what. I've just put on headphones and listened to that part carefully and the Creams actually sound more low-pitched than the Inks. Haha.

Okay then. I'll consider them to buy too. But i need to ask you this question. The life cycle of Gaterons is 50 million or something close to it. Basically an infinity. And what life cycle of Creams? I couldn't find any info about that anywhere except AliExpress. There's official Kailh store and on a product page it's said 5 million.

Here's link.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32995267239.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3a28707b1CKaOI&s=p&ad_pvid=202005040935163158486334272250004806993_1&algo_pvid=6330b66c-a0c7-4fad-a8c7-eeba9279e056&algo_expid=6330b66c-a0c7-4fad-a8c7-eeba9279e056-0&btsid=0b8b036d15886101164368325e2af8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

That seems kind of low. I can't imagine them failing after only 5mil. Especially since they are a linear switch which is the simplest switch mechanism.  It's possible they only test up to that amount and call it good enough.

17 hours ago, geo3 said:

That seems kind of low. I can't imagine them failing after only 5mil. Especially since they are a linear switch which is the simplest switch mechanism.  It's possible they only test up to that amount and call it good enough.

You know i just popped out KBDfans just to see how will shipping cost for Gats Ink and as you can see i don't really want to spend that much on a shipping XD

lol.png

Contact them via email, it's clearly a mistake.

1 hour ago, nox_ said:

I mean, the shipping option literally tells them to contact them by email. 

:)

1 hour ago, nox_ said:

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Okay. I did. Waiting for a response.

21 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Yeah, that's why I said to contact them via email, not sure how he missed that.

So after some research on reddit and other keyboard forums i found that many people state that milky gaterons are scratchy and lack smoothness compared to black bottom housing and clear/milky top. So as a linear guy i guess i'll be satisfied with regular gats with black bottom. Is there any good alternative to gateron blacks?

1 hour ago, Morsher said:

So after some research on reddit and other keyboard forums i found that many people state that milky gaterons are scratchy and lack smoothness compared to black bottom housing and clear/milky top. So as a linear guy i guess i'll be satisfied with regular gats with black bottom. Is there any good alternative to gateron blacks?

Milky top, black bottom is the best imo, milky top sounds better than the pc clear top. Try gateron yellows, they're a bit lighter than gat blacks but their spring is a really nice slow curve one. 

36 minutes ago, b emoji said:

Milky top, black bottom is the best imo, milky top sounds better than the pc clear top. Try gateron yellows, they're a bit lighter than gat blacks but their spring is a really nice slow curve one. 

Gateron yellows with milk tops or clear tops? I can't find them anywhere in that configuration. Neither yellows or blacks.

10 hours ago, geo3 said:

Novel keys has black bottom milky topped reds in stock. If that's too light you could spring swap. 

https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/switches/products/gateron-switches?variant=19441344839773

Ye but the website won't let me add 6 packs. Not to mention i need 61 switch at least. It seems they have a limited amount of them. But not that amount that i need. 

Screenshot_20200506_090723_com.android.chrome.jpg