1600/B450 Aorus M suddenly not stable with 3200mhz RAM

Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,

Well, I reset CMOS twice and now it seems to be working. 

Wtf AMD lol

So my 1600 has been stable at 3.8ghz @ +0.156 offset (around 1.38v in use), with an SoC of +0.05 (around 1.15v in use) and 1.4v DRAM voltage, and has been running my Corsair LPX 3200 with just XMP on (16-18-18-18-36-54).

Been great for a year. 

Now suddenly, video started blinking in and out, and grey/green screened during playing a game on steam big picture.

Reboot, and BIOS gets stuck on the splash screen.

Hard shut down, and load defaults. Boots fine, and seems fine.

Go in and turn on XMP, loads up, seems okay, but upon restart, gets hung up in BIOS splash screen for ages, loads, but functions really weird. Programs take forever to load, never load.

Reboot, gets stuck on splash.

Hard shut down, turn off xmp, fine. Reboots fine.

Reapply CPU OC, leave ram at 2133 noXMP, runs fine.

Seems it's just RAM xmp that causes this problem suddenly.  Tried 26.66 29.33, they won't work, only 2133.

Updated BIOS, didn't change anything.

Increase SoC voltage, manually entered RAM timings for xmp, reset BIOS, no go.

Seems to only run at stock memory speeds.

I don't think it's the ram.

I think my CPUs IMC is dying.

Thoughts?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I just built two machines using the same mb and ram and the 2200g in both back in January. XMP in both to 3200 MHz. Couldn't get the ram to run stable on my wife's machine (general office use), so dialed it back to 2133, and her machine is now running fine. My version is an HTPC and it took to the XMP profile like a duck to water and it's running at 3185 (close  enough). Anyhoo,  been following the forums looking for a solution and haven't had a chance to get back to my wife's machine to try a manual overclock of the ram. I'm just writing to let you know you have company. Do you really think your IMC is bad?

50 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

So my 1600 has been stable at 3.8ghz @ +0.156 offset (around 1.38v in use), with an SoC of +0.05 (around 1.15v in use) and 1.4v DRAM voltage, and has been running my Corsair LPX 3200 with just XMP on (16-18-18-18-36-54).

Been great for a year. 

Now suddenly, video started blinking in and out, and grey/green screened during playing a game on steam big picture.

Reboot, and BIOS gets stuck on the splash screen.

Hard shut down, and load defaults. Boots fine, and seems fine.

Go in and turn on XMP, loads up, seems okay, but upon restart, gets hung up in BIOS splash screen for ages, loads, but functions really weird. Programs take forever to load, never load.

Reboot, gets stuck on splash.

Hard shut down, turn off xmp, fine. Reboots fine.

Reapply CPU OC, leave ram at 2133 noXMP, runs fine.

Seems it's just RAM xmp that causes this problem suddenly.  Tried 26.66 29.33, they won't work, only 2133.

Updated BIOS, didn't change anything.

Increase SoC voltage, manually entered RAM timings for xmp, reset BIOS, no go.

Seems to only run at stock memory speeds.

I don't think it's the ram.

I think my CPUs IMC is dying.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, KJon said:

I just built two machines using the same mb and ram and the 2200g in both back in January. XMP in both to 3200 MHz. Couldn't get the ram to run stable on my wife's machine (general office use), so dialed it back to 2133, and her machine is now running fine. My version is an HTPC and it took to the XMP profile like a duck to water and it's running at 3185 (close  enough). Anyhoo,  been following the forums looking for a solution and haven't had a chance to get back to my wife's machine to try a manual overclock of the ram. I'm just writing to let you know you have company. Do you really think your IMC is bad?

Its the only thing I can really think of.

Admittedly, the voltage has been a bit high, as has the SoC over the past year or so. It's possible it was degraded.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Its the only thing I can really think of.

Admittedly, the voltage has been a bit high, as has the SoC over the past year or so. It's possible it was degraded.

I've read that diagnosis in other threads, too. I just figured XMP profiles are designed by folks way more technical than I am and they would know how far things can be pushed better than I. Maybe not.

@ShrimpBrime

bro i need u lol

Wtf AMD lol

Man I so missed this. Sry woof lol.

Glad you got it sorted. 

Oldest trick in the book. Reset cmos... Twice!!!

Did you get the overclock dialed back in or what?

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Man I so missed this. Sry woof lol.

Glad you got it sorted. 

Oldest trick in the book. Reset cmos... Twice!!!

Did you get the overclock dialed back in or what?

Yeah seems okay at 3.8 and 3200

Weird shit

7 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Yeah seems okay at 3.8 and 3200

Weird shit

Phew. Good stuff.

I did notice clear cmos does take some 10 seconds on my b450 boards. 

Not like the older boards, clears as soon as pins touch.

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Phew. Good stuff.

I did notice clear cmos does take some 10 seconds on my b450 boards. 

Not like the older boards, clears as soon as pins touch.

could be that. it was a philips head and i didn't count lol

18 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

could be that. it was a philips head and i didn't count lol

You dont have any little jumpers?

Perhaps an old reset switch feom an old case. That works wonders!

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

You dont have any little jumpers?

Perhaps an old reset switch feom an old case. That works wonders!

I probably do. but the screwdriver was closer and easier to find 😆

16 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Wtf AMD lol

Glad it wasn't the IMC. I'll have to give that a shot on my wife's machine. Thanks for positing your solution.