Does Adaptive Sync really matter?

ApexSutton31

Hello all,

I just had a question about adaptive sync tech like G-sync and Freesync. I watch a lot of Pro CS and noticed they usually always have BenQ monitors on LAN and a lot of them use them at home on their streams as well, which have no adaptive sync on their panels. While in other esports like Overwatch or R6 Siege, they seem to just use whoever the sponsor is in regards to panels.

My question is, how much do adaptive sync technologies actually matter when talking about competitive gaming. I understand what they do, just not sure if it truly matter if you have it or not. Like if you're running a high end 240Hz monitor, like most CS pros, would it be better to have G-sync (in my case as I have a 1080ti GPU), or do you really just need to make sure your panel is high refresh rate and low response time like 1ms or lower? I also play racing games and sometimes rpg games like Elder Scrolls and Witcher 3, but mainly shooter games for myself.

Adaptive sync is not made for competitive gaming in mind.

In e sport level competitive gaming, they run higher FPS than monitors max Hz usually, and then the main benefit of adaptive sync isn't in play at all. Also, I doubt competitive gamers care that much about screen tearing either.

Where it does matter the most is when you run games FPS bellow monitors max hz.

It's more a benefit for those that care about how things looks too and not for those that care 100% about performance and are willing to throw all looks out for it.

I might be wrong but that's what I have understood.

If you do care about looks too and not performance only, you should not look at what eSports competitive players use and follow it as a slave.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

Adaptive sync is not made for competitive gaming in mind.

In e sport level competitive gaming, they run higher FPS than monitors max Hz usually, and then the main benefit of adaptive sync isn't in play at all. Also, I doubt competitive gamers care that much about screen tearing either.

Where it does matter the most is when you run games FPS bellow monitors max hz.

It's more a benefit for those that care about how things looks too and not for those that care 100% about performance and are willing to throw all looks out for it.

I might be wrong but that's what I have understood.

If you do care about looks too and not performance only, you should not look at what eSports competitive players use and do follow it as a slave.

Okay. That makes sense. Yeah, that's what I thought was the case for adaptive sync after doing my own reading on v-sync and proprietary adaptive sync tech. I just wanted to get some clarification from others. The Dell monitor I'm looking at replacing my second monitor that died a while back has G-sync for my Nvidia graphics card and at a decent price, so I'll probably go with it either way. Lol

Well being that when you play on like 240Hz and very high framerate tearing is not horrible like on much lower fps and Hz though. That being said, adaptive sync is neat really. It properly syncs frames with refresh rate and movement looks extra smooth. Depends on what game where you move around fast constantly you can notice more. Can cap fps sub 240 for it. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |