Can I run Kubuntu

I'm thinking about switching to Linux, cause I have an old ass computer and very low end and a very irrelevant CPU, windows isn't working very well for me, i'm using windows 10 32-bit it just eats up a lot of ram and CPU even on IDLE, and I can't do much except browse the web which is probably the only thing I'll do but I just can't take it anymore, I love Linux and I know how to use it, I'll post a picture of my specs, and I don't have a GPU on it. It doesn't give me problems what-so-ever but I just don't want to keep using it. I know there are other flavours of Ubuntu but personally, Kubuntu is my favourite.

image.png.0aadea2a2f96ad9acfbb65f5ee24035d.png

Just now, C2dan88 said:

Yes, Kubunu/Lubuntu should work fine.

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

Yes, Kubunu/Lubuntu should work fine.

Forgot to ask, should I go for 32-bit regardless?

You don't need to. According to the info you posted, your system is 64-bit capable, so use a 64-bit Linux distro. Although I wouldn't want to use a systemd based Linux on what's essentially a glorified P4 🙄  I'd suggest Devuan instead: https://devuan.org/

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Yep you can. Kubuntu at idle uses 400-500MB of RAM, so you have gig and a half to use for your programs. If you find that it falls short, you can try other things.

Forgot to ask, should I go for 32-bit regardless?

Don't. 32 bit is at this point legacy, and a lot of linux distros are dropping out support for it (the last verion of ubuntu to have 32 bit support was from 2018).

#PCMasterRace #LinuxMasterRace

Don't mix being popular and common becasue ot being the best, and being common and popular because it was the first thing the people saw.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:44 PM, Dutch_Master said:

You don't need to. According to the info you posted, your system is 64-bit capable, so use a 64-bit Linux distro. Although I wouldn't want to use a systemd based Linux on what's essentially a glorified P4 🙄  I'd suggest Devuan instead: https://devuan.org/

HTH!

Considering he's a newbie in the world of Linux, I think it's better if he sticks with Kubuntu!

8 minutes ago, Valerio Green said:

Considering he's a newbie in the world of Linux, I think it's better if he sticks with Kubuntu!

Sorry, don't agree there. Devuan is Debian w/o systemd, simple as that. His hardware doesn't really support systemd, or rather, systemd doesn't want to know about legacy proc's, like the Pentium range. Trust me, been there. done that, never got the T-shirt promised 🙄

I've actually spend about 2 yrs installing Devuan on P4 machines (amongst others) in the PC-refurbishment project I was assigned to at my previous employer and my co-worker only had some MS-course certificate from like 20 yrs ago, so he was a Linux novice. I wrote a (simplified) install guide for him he ran through so many times he started memorizing it ;) The project shut down due to corona and subsequently termination of my contract (which would have happened anyway, corona wasn't an issue with that, we'd agreed a 2yr term back in 2018) at that place so I can't tell if it's still being used. However, when I first started at this project they used Linux Mint, which comes with systemd. This was a disaster. So I redesigned the entire project, created a local Devuan repo (all w/o direct internet access!) and used that to install Devuan. Productivity shot up like a rocket! Instead on doing just 2 systems a DAY, we could do upwards of 10 systems each. I did so when said co-worker was absent for a while (he had some mental health issues).

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

13 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Sorry, don't agree there. Devuan is Debian w/o systemd, simple as that. His hardware doesn't really support systemd, or rather, systemd doesn't want to know about legacy proc's, like the Pentium range. Trust me, been there. done that, never got the T-shirt promised 🙄

I've actually spend about 2 yrs installing Devuan on P4 machines (amongst others) in the PC-refurbishment project I was assigned to at my previous employer and my co-worker only had some MS-course certificate from like 20 yrs ago, so he was a Linux novice. I wrote a (simplified) install guide for him he ran through so many times he started memorizing it ;) The project shut down due to corona and subsequently termination of my contract (which would have happened anyway, corona wasn't an issue with that, we'd agreed a 2yr term back in 2018) at that place so I can't tell if it's still being used. However, when I first started at this project they used Linux Mint, which comes with systemd. This was a disaster. So I redesigned the entire project, created a local Devuan repo (all w/o direct internet access!) and used that to install Devuan. Productivity shot up like a rocket! Instead on doing just 2 systems a DAY, we could do upwards of 10 systems each. I did so when said co-worker was absent for a while (he had some mental health issues).

You have more experience than me, the only thing that I can do is agree with you.