Can I get this NVMe working?

iNICK20

I need a new SSD because I like (need) to have more storage but the kicker is... Money is never going my way when I need it haha. I found a Toshiba XG6 1Tb NVMe drive listed as parts or not working for $60. Based on the description, its seems like a minor issue. " Drive is detected and can read files/folders from it, but cannot erase or format for some reason. Not sure how to fix. May have some write protection or hardware issue. "

I don't wanna piss $60 down the drain, but when I see YT videos and the issue on a non working parts only laptop etc... They purchased, ends up being a simple fix. Makes me wonder if this, Can be a simple fix or would you skip over this based on the description?

No guarantee, but https://www.diskpart.com/articles/ssd-will-not-format-0310.html

I can find 250-500GB SSDs on craigslist tho for $60 dso if you don't want to try your luck jsut get a working one.

Or maybe try to get that non-working one for like $30-40

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had pretty much the same issue on a Kingston 2.5" SSD. Warranty gave me a new one without even attempting a fix

22 minutes ago, iNICK20 said:

I need a new SSD because I like (need) to have more storage but the kicker is... Money is never going my way when I need it haha. I found a Toshiba XG6 1Tb NVMe drive listed as parts or not working for $60. Based on the description, its seems like a minor issue. " Drive is detected and can read files/folders from it, but cannot erase or format for some reason. Not sure how to fix. May have some write protection or hardware issue. "

I don't wanna piss $60 down the drain, but when I see YT videos and the issue on a non working parts only laptop etc... They purchased, ends up being a simple fix. Makes me wonder if this, Can be a simple fix or would you skip over this based on the description?

Its possible there's nothing wrong with it and the owner is clueless however its much more likely the controller has reached a point in its write cycle counter where it believes the NAND is about to fail and has entered read only mode to prevent loss of data. If that's the case then there's nothing you can do to make it work again. Notice he says "can access/read files" but makes no mention of writing them? Thats probably because they know full well what's wrong with drive.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No guarantee, but https://www.diskpart.com/articles/ssd-will-not-format-0310.html

I can find 250-500GB SSDs on craigslist tho for $60 dso if you don't want to try your luck jsut get a working one.

Or maybe try to get that non-working one for like $30-40

1 minute ago, Yebi said:

I had pretty much the same issue on a Kingston 2.5" SSD. Warranty gave me a new one without even attempting a fix

I currently have a 250Gb M.2 in my system at the moment. but if I can get 1Tb to work for $60, then that would be a good deal. Since this isn't a retail NVMe SSD, Would their be any warranty on it?

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Its possible there's nothing wrong with it and the owner is clueless however its much more likely the controller has reached a point in its write cycle counter where it believes the NAND is about to fail and has entered read only mode to prevent loss of data. If that's the case then there's nothing you can do to make it work again. Notice he says "can access/read files" but makes no mention of writing them? Thats probably because they know full well what's wrong with drive.

Seems like if this is true, then based on this pic. 8716_2_toshiba-xg6-ssd-review-system-bui 

its should have a 5 year warranty and if the SSD is at most 2 years old. Its shouldn't be hard to get replaced, I'm assuming. I may just have to think its over honestly. $60 sounds like a to good deal in my books. But the owner or seller is using an MAC PC, So he could be clueless haha.

3 minutes ago, iNICK20 said:

I currently have a 250Gb M.2 in my system at the moment. but if I can get 1Tb to work for $60, then that would be a good deal. Since this isn't a retail NVMe SSD, Would their be any warranty on it?

No idea but you can ask, it's less than two years old so hopefully yes.

Just say you no longer have the receipt if they ask for proof of purchase.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, iNICK20 said:

Seems like if this is true, then based on this pic. 8716_2_toshiba-xg6-ssd-review-system-bui 

its should have a 5 year warranty and if the SSD is at most 2 years old. Its shouldn't be hard to get replaced, I'm assuming. I may just have to think its over honestly. $60 sounds like a to good deal in my books. But the owner or seller is using an MAC PC, So he could be clueless haha.

You'll need proof of the original purchase for any warranty replacement.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Enderman said:

No idea but you can ask, it's less than two years old so hopefully yes.

Just say you no longer have the receipt if they ask for proof of purchase.

Based on the pic posted earlier, they have a 5 year limited warranty. Which is good, Now just need to find out if I can use the warranty if needed. 

Just now, Master Disaster said:

You'll need proof of the original purchase for any warranty replacement.

Well drags, I may just roll with the punches and try it anyway. If I'm out $60, then I'm out $60.

4 minutes ago, iNICK20 said:

Well drags, I may just roll with the punches and try it anyway. If I'm out $60, then I'm out $60.

Just try to bargain the price lower first, say there's very little chance of it working or whatever.

Also if you can't fix it maybe you can do the same this guy is doing and sell it again to someone else lol

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Just try to bargain the price lower first, say there's very little chance of it working or whatever.

Also if you can't fix it maybe you can do the same this guy is doing and sell it again to someone else lol

I never seen this before. 

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.

I guess sellers can opt out of people asking them questions? LMAO. Will pass on it now.