My PSU shocks me and probably started a fire

Gorou92
Go to solution Solved by Gorou92,

an  update

the new psu arrived and the shocking stopped

no new issues so I'm still not sure if the damaged psu caused the problems in the house

or the damaged house wiring that caused the psu to get damaged

but thank god the pc works fine now

Hello

last summer I built my first pc and didn't cheap out on the psu (I choosed rm650x for 8600k and 1660ti which good enough)

I don't remember when this started but The breaker started to trip weekly and someone suggested that maybe my room uses too much power than the breaker can withstand

so first I'll describe the house I live in. I'm in a third world country and my house is from the 80s or 70s so no grounding and the breaker is old fashioned that is made from a mold and two prongs and you connect them with a thin wire every time its trips

spacer.png

so back to the issue, when the triping started reccuring I made the wire a little bit thicker at the suggestion of that person so it wouldn't trip again and it worked months after that one day I returned from a week long travel and couldn't turn the pc It starts then immediatly it turn off and turn on I unpluged and replugged the psu cables onto the motherboard and pc worked again. but problems started happening: audio stutters in bluetooth paired audio and stuff like that and I formatted the pc and the problem seemed to disappear then I noticed a micro usb cable connected to the pc is shocking me and this is not a DC shock it was an AC shock that hurt my finger and no my feet was not on ground that used to happen with me before with my old laptop or a charger since I don't have grounded socket I keeped troubleshooting and found that even with the psu Unplugged from the pc the psu still leaks AC to the ground wire (i accidentaly discovered this by touching the ground prong in a wire strip connected to the psu) I read here that its normal and that it just psu reducing electric noise so I moved on

but later the main problem started. I started to hear sizzling near the pc when powering on and one time the room light flickered a lot until I unpluged the pc, told my self its just bad electricity coming from the grid (since we have power outages sometimes ) but then a day later the sizzling happened again and people outside the house said there is a fire in public thick wire entering our house so we powered off the house completly and called the power company they came and found a phase (this what they called it not sure if the term is technical or not) overused and burned so they changed it

and here I'm happy thinking the problem wasn't from my computer and it was solved but no the pc still shocking me so I turned it off and waiting for a new psu hoping it will solve the problem

So what do you think is the problem ?

I'll update when the new psu arrives

The problem is....

YOU CANNOT USE A DESKTOP COMPUTER WITHOUT A GROUND!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, YsGrandi said:

so I should move ? xD

Unless you want to risk continually damaging your PC with the possibility of burning your entire house down, fix your electrical.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

The problem is your house wiring and mains electricity supply.

You could have the best PC power supply money can buy but it's useless if the house isn't properly grounded and there's frequent disruptions and faults to the mains supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

but why is This happening just when I'm using a desktop ?

all the electronics and appliances in the house never did this

I'm not asking this as an attack on PCs I mean it as a curious question

9 minutes ago, YsGrandi said:

but why is This happening just when I'm using a desktop ?

all the electronics and appliances in the house never did this

I'm not asking this as an attack on PCs I mean it as a curious question

other electronics arent as sensible and/or don't require that much power

58 minutes ago, AeroMagnus said:

other electronics arent as sensible and/or don't require that much power

It's not even about quantity of power.

PC PSU's require a ground for the MOV to send the ground to as well as proper polarization to ensure the fuse is on the hot lead.  If you have a non-polarized, non-grounded outlet, then all bets are off that the PSU is going to work after a surge.

From the looks of your pictures of plugs, you're not only not grounded, but your not even polarized.

2 hours ago, YsGrandi said:

Hello

last summer I built my first pc and didn't cheap out on the psu (I choosed rm650x for 8600k and 1660ti which good enough)

I don't remember when this started but The breaker started to trip weekly and someone suggested that maybe my room uses too much power than the breaker can withstand

so first I'll describe the house I live in. I'm in a third world country and my house is from the 80s or 70s so no grounding and the breaker is old fashioned that is made from a mold and two prongs and you connect them with a thin wire every time its trips

spacer.png

so back to the issue, when the triping started reccuring I made the wire a little bit thicker at the suggestion of that person so it wouldn't trip again and it worked months after that one day I returned from a week long travel and couldn't turn the pc It starts then immediatly it turn off and turn on I unpluged and replugged the psu cables onto the motherboard and pc worked again. but problems started happening: audio stutters in bluetooth paired audio and stuff like that and I formatted the pc and the problem seemed to disappear then I noticed a micro usb cable connected to the pc is shocking me and this is not a DC shock it was an AC shock that hurt my finger and no my feet was not on ground that used to happen with me before with my old laptop or a charger since I don't have grounded socket I keeped troubleshooting and found that even with the psu Unplugged from the pc the psu still leaks AC to the ground wire (i accidentaly discovered this by touching the ground prong in a wire strip connected to the psu) I read here that its normal and that it just psu reducing electric noise so I moved on

but later the main problem started. I started to hear sizzling near the pc when powering on and one time the room light flickered a lot until I unpluged the pc, told my self its just bad electricity coming from the grid (since we have power outages sometimes ) but then a day later the sizzling happened again and people outside the house said there is a fire in public thick wire entering our house so we powered off the house completly and called the power company they came and found a phase (this what they called it not sure if the term is technical or not) overused and burned so they changed it

and here I'm happy thinking the problem wasn't from my computer and it was solved but no the pc still shocking me so I turned it off and waiting for a new psu hoping it will solve the problem

So what do you think is the problem ?

I'll update when the new psu arrives

how did you make the "wire a little bit thicker at the suggestion of that person"

you would need to pull a lower gauge wire for more amps and upgrade the breaker. if you breaker was tripping its because the power draw was too high on the circuit.

you might have also damaged the wiring by whatever you did... shut off the circuit look at the wires are they brittle and do you see any visible fire marks on the insulation.

your lucky by the sounds of it just damaged your computer and didnt burn your house down.

• 4 weeks later...

an  update

the new psu arrived and the shocking stopped

no new issues so I'm still not sure if the damaged psu caused the problems in the house

or the damaged house wiring that caused the psu to get damaged

but thank god the pc works fine now