Monitor or Graphics card problem?

DarkEnergy

Within the past week I have been having issues where my desktop image gets split in half and is displayed twice horizontally on the screen. There's a loss of color and I can see some lines on the screen as well. I haven't yet taken a picture but here is a link example to what I'm talking about: https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/d50d035b-9b3a-4807-8078-e74a905f26d9

Some important information to know is that my monitor does have issues. About a month or so ago it decided to not want to be recognized by any computer with HDMI. The monitor currently ONLY works with my desktop and I've found a work around with some third party software. As such, the monitor only displays once windows is started, I can't view post or it booting up. 

Currently, switching the monitor off and back on fixes the split screen. Does the fact that simply turning off the monitor to fix the issue indicate a monitor or graphics card problem? I also experimented with disabling the graphics driver. Doing that didn't fix the problem but when I reenabled the graphics driver the monitor wouldn't display so I had to restart the computer. Graphics drivers are up to date, it's a Radeon 5700.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB