cpu score is way lower after a fresh windows install

supercater500
Go to solution Solved by supercater500,
7 minutes ago, supercater500 said:

i decided to run geekbench and i got the result i used to the only thing i could think of is that 3dmark isnt running right

UPDATE: i used usermark that also compares your result to other results and my cpu is working way better then expected so i think its definitely 3dmark

Hi

i installed a fresh copies of windows on a new ssd and ive installed all the drivers and let the system finish installing everything its been a day since then. i ran a 3dmark test to make sure everything was worker and my score went down 2000 points which shocked me. the graphics score was about the same since i havent overclocked it yet but my cpu score is shit and i never overclocked it. i normally got 7k score but now im only get 2k. the tempatures are only at 40 degrees to 50 degrees. how do i fix this? ive ran multiple tests (10) and they all been in a reasonable range.

heres the link of the comparison.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/11810989/spy/11486758

Did you change your RAM too since you ran the first test? You've got 16 GB in the new test, but 36 in the old one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Did you change your RAM too since you ran the first test? You've got 16 GB in the new test, but 36 in the old one.

yes, i currently have that ram stick out since i think its faulty as soon as i put it in my computer it will boot and turn off so i removed it. i doubt the ram would effect anything since i had tests prior to that with 16 gigs and the results were basically the same

edit: i also had a 4 gigabyte stick in there since i had it laying arounnd and they worked together

Edited by supercater500
more info

5 minutes ago, supercater500 said:

yes, i currently have that ram stick out since i think its faulty as soon as i put it in my computer it will boot and turn off so i removed it. i doubt the ram would effect anything since i had tests prior to that with 16 gigs and the results were basically the same

edit: i also had a 4 gigabyte stick in there since i had it laying arounnd and they worked together

Try watching the clock speed and temperature of your CPU during the test. Your temperature sounds too low for a 9700k at full turbo, I'm thinking you might have a power limit problem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Try watching the clock speed and temperature of your CPU during the test. Your temperature sounds too low for a 9700k at full turbo, I'm thinking you might have a power limit problem.

i doubt that i have 1000 wat psu and the clock speed is turboing the whole way through the  highest tempature during the test is 52 degrees ill go run another test

Just now, supercater500 said:

i doubt that i have 1000 wat psu and the clock speed is turboing the whole way through the  highest tempature during the test is 52 degrees ill go run another test

Not that your PSU doesn't have the power, but that there's a software limit on the amount of power your CPU can pull, this would show up as your CPU running at a much lower clock speed than it should.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

26 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Not that your PSU doesn't have the power, but that there's a software limit on the amount of power your CPU can pull, this would show up as your CPU running at a much lower clock speed than it should.

ran the test got the same score and the tempature was 40 to 52 and the frequency was at 4800 to 4900 the whole way through

8 minutes ago, supercater500 said:

ran the test got the same score and the tempature was 40 to 52 and the frequency was at 4800 to 4900 the whole way through

In that case my only thought would be that maybe some cores are disabled. If that's not the case then I have absolutely no idea what's happening.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

In that case my only thought would be that maybe some cores are disabled. If that's not the case then I have absolutely no idea what's happening.

i decided to run geekbench and i got the result i used to the only thing i could think of is that 3dmark isnt running right

7 minutes ago, supercater500 said:

UPDATE: i used usermark that also compares your result to other results and my cpu is working way better then expected so i think its definitely 3dmark