The new RTX 30 series

oernst

Hi guys,

Before anyone gets angry at me; I am no tech genius, last year I built my first pc and my pc knowledge is still... meh.

So, I have been seeing a lot of news out there for the RTX 30 series (which I am absolutely hyped for) and I understand all this news is mostly just 'rumours' and 'estimations'.

However, let's say they actually get announced this month and released in June. I have an 'asus rog z390-e gaming' MB which has a PCIE 3.0 GPU port.

Will this be able to take a RTX 30 series, meaning, will they switch to PCIE 4.0 with no backwards compatibility or will it still use PCIE 3.0. I know that probably none of you know for sure as it hasn't been announced yet, but what is your best guess?

Also, I know I can't run the new 10 series intel CPU's (I cry). but with the new RTX 30 series coming out, I'm trying to see if I will have to upgrade my CPU, MB, and GPU or just CPU and GPU (my current CPU is too underpowered i5 8600K and would upgrade to i7 9700K) to run a RTX 30 series - if compatible)

Hope this question makes sense 🤔

Just now, yaboistar said:

pcie is backwards and forwards compatible.

Will any performance decrease appear when a PCIE 4.0 card is installed on PCIE 3.0? 

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

pcie is backwards and forwards compatible.

Thank you for that very quick response!

There were a lot of rumours that I read out there that PCIE 4.0 was not going to be backwards compatible. Then again, I am still learning 😅. thanks again!

1 minute ago, dbpx2 said:

Will any performance decrease appear when a PCIE 4.0 card is installed on PCIE 3.0? 

The only example of this is the RX 5500XT, which has Vram issues and x8 bandwidth. We have yet to see any PCIe related performance issues with cards going from PCIe 4 to PCIe 3.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

So, is it advised for me to go forwards with buying an i7-9700K and waiting on the RTX 30 series to upgrade GPU or wait with both?

1 minute ago, oernst said:

So, is it advised for me to go forwards with buying an i7-9700K and waiting on the RTX 30 series to upgrade GPU or wait with both?

Well id suggest skipping the 9700k, and picking up a 10700k when that comes out, or just getting a 3700x now. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Well id suggest skipping the 9700k, and picking up a 10700k when that comes out, or just getting a 3700x now. 

I would love to but then I would have to upgrade my MB too considering the 10700K uses the new LGA  slot with no backwards compatibility :( my wallet and gf would probably not be to happy with me if I spend over 1K on a new GPU, CPU, and MB

9 minutes ago, oernst said:

I would love to but then I would have to upgrade my MB too considering the 10700K uses the new LGA  slot with no backwards compatibility :( my wallet and gf would probably not be to happy with me if I spend over 1K on a new GPU, CPU, and MB

well the reason behind it is that the 9700k suffers from the same issue as the 9600k, but at a lesser extent. 

its possible you can recoup a lot of the cost from selling the Mobo and CPU. 

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

The only example of this is the RX 5500XT, which has Vram issues and x8 bandwidth. We have yet to see any PCIe related performance issues with cards going from PCIe 4 to PCIe 3.

So shall I buy MSI B450 GAMING MAX or Gigabyte X570 UD, I'm trying to save money for better overall computer, will B450 with no PCIe 4 disappoint me with RTX 3000 or it'd be better to go with Gigabyte X570 UD?

10 minutes ago, dbpx2 said:

it'd be better to go with Gigabyte X570 UD?

No real reason to go with x570. 

Besides, the UD isnt great board, iirc.

So if you are going x570, the lowest board is the Prime P. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

No real reason to go with x570. 

Besides, the UD isnt great board, iirc.

So if you are going x570, the lowest board is the Prime P. 

I'm just worried if there'll be something like, RTX 3000 works better on PCIe 4 or something like that.

18 minutes ago, dbpx2 said:

I'm just worried if there'll be something like, RTX 3000 works better on PCIe 4 or something like that.

Unlikely at best. 

No GPU uses the full bandwidht of PCIe 3.0 16x. And keeping in mind intel will stick to 3.0 for at a minimum of 1 more year

Well can I buy an MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX motherboard with Ryzen 3 3200G now, to save money, and then get Ryzen 4000 installed when it comes, and RTX 3000 added to the system with no problems? Like, my system will be all ready, 32GB RAM, SSD, case, PSU, and then when Ryzen 4000 comes ill just remove Ryzen 3 3200G and install Ryzen 5 4600-Ryzen 7 4700x on it and add an RTX 3080 and then run everythings fine?

4 hours ago, oernst said:

However, let's say they actually get announced this month and released in June.

I know that probably none of you know for sure as it hasn't been announced yet, but what is your best guess?

I don't see how this fairy tale could unfold...the entire planet has been on halt and every manufacturing plant in China has been closed for months...so unless Jensen is carefully assembling cards In his basements I don't see how these cards could have been produced and hit the shelves. Imho we won't see anything until months after everything starts rolling back again.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I don't see how this fairy tale could unfold...the entire planet has been on halt and every manufacturing plant in China has been closed for months...so unless Jensen is carefully assembling cards In his basements I don't see how these cards could have been produced and hit the shelves. Imho we won't see anything until months after everything starts rolling back again.

I found it strange as well, but NVIDIA is doing an event on the 14th of May and many speculate, the 30 series will then be announced. Furthermore, China is long back up and running again. I don't know about their factories in particular but China is full on producing again. So... Maybe...

I don’t anticipate PCIe 4.0 being a bottleneck for PC gaming any time soon. There’s probably some usefulness for the extra bandwidth on workstations like deep learning rigs that use the hell out of their PCIe lanes, but regular old RTX 3000 series GPUs won’t show any improvement on PCIe 4.0. It would take a completely unrealistic jump in performance from the GPUs, and it would take games (at a very high frame rate) that can take advantage of all that bandwidth. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

4 hours ago, dbpx2 said:

Well can I buy an MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX motherboard with Ryzen 3 3200G now, to save money, and then get Ryzen 4000 installed when it comes, and RTX 3000 added to the system with no problems? Like, my system will be all ready, 32GB RAM, SSD, case, PSU, and then when Ryzen 4000 comes ill just remove Ryzen 3 3200G and install Ryzen 5 4600-Ryzen 7 4700x on it and add an RTX 3080 and then run everythings fine?

I'd get the MSI TOMAHAWK over the GAMING PLUS MAX (unless it's not in stock, then get the GAMING PLUS MAX) there's just a little price difference between the two. Or go with any of these B450 boards: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, ASUS TUF B450 Pro Gaming, Gigabyte B450 AORUS M, Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI, MSI B450M Bazooka V2.

As for the CPU, I'd go with the Ryzen 1600AF if it's in stock, if not then get regular the Ryzen 1600. Or just wait for the new 3100 and 3300X to come out and see the benchmarks and decide which of these 4 CPU's to buy.

MSI TOMAHAWK + Ryzen 1600AF would cost you around 200€.

As for Ryzen 4000 series, we don't know whether they will be compatible with B450 Mobo's, though there's a speculation that they would be, but don't take this as 100% true.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

9 hours ago, oernst said:

the only concern is the 8600k being a minor bottleneck for certain games.

The earliest you'll be able to actually get a 30xx should be around october, paper launches don't count.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

12 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

I'd get the MSI TOMAHAWK over the GAMING PLUS MAX (unless it's not in stock, then get the GAMING PLUS MAX) there's just a little price difference between the two. Or go with any of these B450 boards: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, ASUS TUF B450 Pro Gaming, Gigabyte B450 AORUS M, Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI, MSI B450M Bazooka V2.

As for the CPU, I'd go with the Ryzen 1600AF if it's in stock, if not then get regular the Ryzen 1600. Or just wait for the new 3100 and 3300X to come out and see the benchmarks and decide which of these 4 CPU's to buy.

MSI TOMAHAWK + Ryzen 1600AF would cost you around 200€.

As for Ryzen 4000 series, we don't know whether they will be compatible with B450 Mobo's, though there's a speculation that they would be, but don't take this as 100% true.

The CPU needs to have integrated graphics, I'll play RoboCraft TF2 etc. to have some fun while waiting for new GPU-CPU.

12 minutes ago, dbpx2 said:

The CPU needs to have integrated graphics, I'll play RoboCraft TF2 etc. to have some fun while waiting for new GPU-CPU.

Ah ok, I didn't knew that. Just get the Ryzen 3200G + the MSI TOMAHAWK, or even the 3400G if you get it on sale. Just make sure to get a good cooler just so you can overclock both CPU and it's integrated graphics to get the most performance out of it.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

Just now, F.E.A.R. said:

Ah ok, I didn't knew that. Just get the Ryzen 3200G + the MSI TOMAHAWK, or even the 3400G if you get it on sale. Just make sure to get a good cooler just so you can overclock both CPU and it's integrated graphics to get the most performance out of it.

Oh I wont overclock too. I just want some gaming to spend time, have fun times. Wont overclock when got RTX 3080 too. But will MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX support Ryzen 4000.. Thats all I'm looking for.

3 minutes ago, dbpx2 said:

Oh I wont overclock too. I just want some gaming to spend time, have fun times. Wont overclock when got RTX 3080 too. But will MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX support Ryzen 4000.. Thats all I'm looking for.

No because we don't have any official news yet, besides Ryzen 4000 is yet to be announced, until then we won't know.

1 minute ago, F.E.A.R. said:

No because we don't have any official news yet, besides Ryzen 4000 is yet to be announced, until then we won't know.

Then, will X570 support Ryzen 4000?

1 hour ago, xg32 said:

the only concern is the 8600k being a minor bottleneck for certain games.

The earliest you'll be able to actually get a 30xx should be around october, paper launches don't count.

Yes, my i5-8600K is bottlenecking me. I'd prefer not to buy a  new mb  for all the new CPU's but then again, for GPU 30 series I will wait... so either I buy an i7-9700K or an  i9-9900K however the latter is quite expensive... oh decisions  decisions... It's not that I can't afford it,  it's more like; should I?  :P 

1 hour ago, dbpx2 said:

Then, will X570 support Ryzen 4000?

Yes because they were released just 7 months ago. Buy the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite for 200€ if you're in a hurry or wait for the MSI x570 TOMAHAWK that'll get released till the end of this month, also 200€.