Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HD 4650 Folding@Home Help!

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
1 minute ago, TECH J said:

But there should be a way to force it work on a legacy gpu

Based on what? As I said, that forum post is 10 years old. It's quite possible they removed or stopped maintaining that old code, because it's not worth their time anymore.

 

Actually, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of their requirements, you'll see that it was removed:

Quote

The end of support for ATI/AMD 4xxx series and below was announced in March 2011, and scheduled to end in September 2011. The last of the AMD Fahcore_11 (GPU2) work units actually lasted until June 2012, more than a year after the original announcement.

So yeah, gone for almost 8 years now.

Requirements

I think you need an HD 5xxx or newer now. That forum post you linked to is from 2010.

 

Scroll down to ATI/AMD:

Quote

OpenCL compatible GPU, 5xxx series or newer*, see full list

 

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Requirements

I think you need an HD 5xxx or newer now. That forum post you linked to is from 2010.

 

Scroll down to ATI/AMD:

 

But there should be a way to force it work on a legacy gpu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TECH J said:

But there should be a way to force it work on a legacy gpu

Based on what? As I said, that forum post is 10 years old. It's quite possible they removed or stopped maintaining that old code, because it's not worth their time anymore.

 

Actually, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of their requirements, you'll see that it was removed:

Quote

The end of support for ATI/AMD 4xxx series and below was announced in March 2011, and scheduled to end in September 2011. The last of the AMD Fahcore_11 (GPU2) work units actually lasted until June 2012, more than a year after the original announcement.

So yeah, gone for almost 8 years now.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Based on what? As I said, that forum post is 10 years old. It's quite possible they removed or stopped maintaining that old code, because it's not worth their time anymore.

 

Actually, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of their requirements, you'll see that it was removed:

So yeah, gone for almost 8 years now.

that's sad,why whould the remove it? I know it's an old architecture but still,some gpus of that era could help even today..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TECH J said:

that's sad,why whould the remove it? I know it's an old architecture but still,some gpus of that era could help even today..

Because it's a pain in the ass to maintain code. Any code.

It's not worth spending time and energy maintaining old code for old hardware that people don't have anymore.

It's much more worthwhile to spend the effort polish the code for newer hardware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, TECH J said:

that's sad,why whould the remove it? I know it's an old architecture but still,some gpus of that era could help even today..

Probably too much work to maintain it and/or make work units compatible with it. They'd probably also have to port bug fixes to the older cores. If you search for support for iGPUs you'll see they've pretty much said "No" for that very reason. Too much work, too little gain.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Probably too much work to maintain it and/or make work units compatible with it. They'd probably also have to port bug fixes to the older cores. If you search for support for iGPUs you'll see they've pretty much said "No" for that very reason. Too much work, too little gain.

I mean,they have gained a lot of fame this period.I am sure there should be more than enough voltunteer devs for doing that..anyway,my last question is that: In folding@home,my cpu(ryzen 5 2600x @4ghz) is doing more job than a gpu(rx580 for example)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, TECH J said:

I mean,they have gained a lot of fame this period.I am sure there should be more than enough voltunteer devs for doing that..

Their code isn't open source (at least the important parts). This is done to ensure people can't cheat and also to ensure results are scientifically valid. So there's really only a very limited number of people that can work on it. See: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/opensource/

 

As @Trinopoty said, they have to prioritize. I assume getting things to work on e.g. an RTX 2080 Ti is more important than maintaining compatibility with an HD 4xxx. There's probably more people who own those cards around and a single one likely completes more WUs in a day than your card could do in a week.

Just now, TECH J said:

anyway,my last question is that: In folding@home,my cpu(ryzen 5 2600x @4ghz) is doing more job than a gpu(rx580 for example)?

Same for me. My RX 480 has a lot of idle time, while my CPU is essentially working non-stop. Probably because there's so much more people folding on GPUs that the chances of getting a WU are lower.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Their code isn't open source (at least the important parts). This is done to ensure people can't cheat and also to ensure results are scientifically valid. So there's really only a very limited number of people that can work on it. See: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/opensource/

 

As @Trinopoty said, they have to prioritize. I assume getting things to work on e.g. an RTX 2080 Ti is more important than maintaining compatibility with an HD 4xxx. There's probably more people who own those cards around and a single one likely completes more WUs in a day than your card could do in a week.

Same for me. My RX 480 has a lot of idle time, while my CPU is essentially working non-stop. Probably because there's so much more people folding on GPUs that the chances of getting a WU are lower.

So cpu does different kind of workloads than gpu's loads?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, TECH J said:

So cpu does different kind of workloads than gpu's loads?

I'm not sure how different they are, but in general CPUs and GPUs are best suited to different types of work. Based on points alone, CPUs seem to get a lot smaller workloads. Which makes sense because even with the smaller workload it still takes far longer to complete it.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×