Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello! I have an aux jack issue with my hp elite 8300 sff. What happens is the pc only detects and uses one audio device at a  time even when I have multiple plugged, including the onboard case speaker. The one device it detects is the one that was plugged in the latest such has my sound system or headset. When nothing is plugged in, the system uses the case speaker. The computer should be able to detect all speaker devices allowing me to switch in between them. It is inconvenient to have to unplug a device and replug it in for the computer to use it. This has me stumped. Any ideas? Thanks!

Is your HP the one with 3rd Gen Intel CPU?

Does it show all connected device in the audio options like below?

image.png.166195f066e3e34841c544a6cb10c0f5.png

Above (Windows 10, Ryzen 3000 series Lenovo SFF): Speakers & Headphones share the same channel '3'. In newer devices with correct audio driver, you can switch between them even if they share the same channel. I guess this is what you're expecting, right?

It is inconvenient to have to unplug a device and replug it in for the computer to use it.

This sound like the behavior of a simple switch, so it could be due to hardware limitation.

If this is the case, then it is the same issue with my older 2010 PC, which I resorted to some workarounds:

1. Used a cheap audio jack extension cable so that it'll be nearer and easier to plug-n-unplug between speakers & heaphones...😝 lol

2. Then I bought a better speaker system with a headphone jack in the main satellite unit.

3. Later I saved up and managed to buy my first monitor with HDMI input & audio jack(5 years old BenQ in above picture), so headphones plugged to front panel headphone jack and speaker system plugged to monitor's audio jack. This way I was finally able to switch between them using software like above picture.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Thanks for the reply! I have an i7 3770. That image you shared is exactly what I want. Mine only shows a non working AMD audio device which I believe is my monitor, and one  realtek speaker option even when I have my headphones, surround speakers, and onboard case speakers. And as said before, the sound will only go to the device plug in last, or if none, then the case speaker. I upgraded from an older hp compaq sff 6005 and had no issues with it detecting and switching through all of my devices. Only reason of upgrade was the incapable AMD Athlon II X2 B28. Nice for only browsing the web and light work tasks. I had to find and purchase this 8300 sff motherboard. Maybe it has something to do with it being defective? I'm not sure but usability seems fine.

2020-05-02.png

This image shows the devices with 3 devices and only two are detected. 

I see, what about Realtek audio driver?

Since it is 3rd Gen Intel, does that mean you opt for the free Win7->Win10 program previously?

I've looked up the detail specs for that HP and it is using Realtek ALC221, so if you haven't you might wanna check out their latest driver for the correct Windows version.

v6.0.1.8186 (2.82); 2017-06-29

ALC221-sound-driver-for-Windows7-64bit

ALC221-sound-driver-for-Windows10-64bit

Actually looks like both are the same driver file 😝

Mine only shows a non working AMD audio device which I believe is my monitor

About this, I assumed your system has an AMD GPU with HDMI out.

But upon some searching, it says that your monitor does not have HDMI nor audio jack, is this correct?

Was about to suggest using the monitor's audio jack as last resort... haha

Yes, I do have an AMD graphics card with an hdmi out but the monitor only has vga and dvi inputs. I guess that explains that. My pc says according to online the latest drivers are installed. 

Capture.PNG