Help with WiFi getting what I paid for

I recently upgraded my WiFi Last month  i’m using cat 5E ethernet cablesAnd when I looked it up it says cat 5E is rated  for 1000 MB per second I originally had 100mps download speed And then I upgraded to 300mps  my motherboard is gigabit My router and my modem boxes both say they support 300 MB per second any ideas

Yeah like what are you using to run a speed test? If your not getting expect download speeds from something like steam or origin its most likely due by a cap on their side, however speed tests done on like google are much faster and let you see the full speed since its a small amount of files downloaded/uploaded.

you're only going to get as much as you pay for, minus what your router/access point can handle, minus what you share on the same access point.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Also its great that your PC is Gigabit but you don't mention whether your Modem or Router runs its Network at 1Gbps if it doesnt then your whole internal network is running at 100Mbps 

Check the network adapter and what speed its running at in windows. either way, you haven't actually said you have an issue, I am just guessing . 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

• 4 weeks later...

ok im back iv been bashiong my head to the wall turns out it is my roughter when i connect to the motem i get 200mps ishh witch means its my roughter but i hit another wall i am up to date with the latest update with my roughter why am i geting slower speeds

1 hour ago, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

ok im back iv been bashiong my head to the wall turns out it is my roughter when i connect to the motem i get 200mps ishh witch means its my roughter but i hit another wall i am up to date with the latest update with my roughter why am i geting slower speeds

You pay for 300 mbps.

What speed do you get when connected via ethernet cable? List speed tests and results used.

What speed do you get when connected via wifi?

What are the models of hardware being used for model and router?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Also, what does this have to do with WiFi?  You're talking about your broadband and wired connections, no mention of WiFi in there.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

1. Spend a little bit more effort in writing actually coherent posts.
  2. Give more details about your setup, like e.g. what model your router is, how you are connected to it, and what devices are you trying with.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

i have the main and only modem in my room the cables comes from hte wall to the back of my modem NETGEAR CM400 using the included ethernet cat5e cable thats yellow from the motem to the router netgear n300 wnr2000v5 using my own cat5e calble i connect it my desktop

and this is my desktop

1 hour ago, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

i have the main and only modem in my room the cables comes from hte wall to the back of my modem NETGEAR CM400 using the included ethernet cat5e cable thats yellow from the motem to the router netgear n300 wnr2000v5 using my own cat5e calble i connect it my desktop

and this is my desktop

The router, netgear n300 wnr2000v5, only has 100Mbps ports on it. Regardless of the false advertising of "up to 300Mbps" you will NEVER see over 100Mbps with that router. You need something with gigabit ports.

image.png.c24dd4e430d71babdd6d82bd3173e3df.png

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

if i get a new router that does support the new faster speed will i need to replace my modem

13 minutes ago, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

if i get a new router that does support the new faster speed will i need to replace my modem

No the CM400 modem has a gigabit port to the router. So just get a new router with gigabit ports and you're good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Although its worth bearing in mind that not all routers with Gigabit ports can achieve the same speed for actual broadband traffic.  So generally, don't go for anything too cheap.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

10 hours ago, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

will a d-link dir 655 work?

If you don't need good wireless speeds, then yes.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/28/2020 at 3:33 AM, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

will a d-link dir 655 work?

Depends on the specific revision but its likely it wont be able to handle 300Mbit. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30726-d-link-dir-655-a4-quick-review

Asus RT-N53 Router so i found this one for $20 but on the box it says 300mps by 300mps i havent bought it yet what does it mean

1 minute ago, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

Asus RT-N53 Router so i found this one for $20 but on the box it says 300mps by 300mps i havent bought it yet what does it mean

It means both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks have a theoretical maximum of 300Mbps each.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

it says 10/100 lan dose that mean ill get 100mps speed ?

Yes, you'll be limited to 100Mbps speed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Cesar.gonzalez1341 said:

ooof let me not buy that time to keep looking

Well I did say don't buy anything cheap, and by that I mean even $150 routers might not handle 300Mbit.  You have to research what their NAT speed is which unfortunately can be tricky to find out.

Never cheap out on the router, its the single most important network device and its pointless paying for 300Mbit if your router can't handle it.