Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

USB mic now sounds distorted

Go to solution Solved by The Flying Sloth,

Yeah, this is another one of the reasons I really dislike USB mics, if I added every thread like this to my gear recommendation half of it would be reasons why USB mics are a bad idea, now, as for shorting, USB has 4 connectors within it, two for power and two for data, it is possible to short the data lines to the 5V power line but no manufacturer would be stupid enough to design a system in which that would kill a mic... right??.......
I don't know, you tell me but she'll need to get a new mic.

Sloth

A streamer I follow had a really good sounding usb mic and then after a night of drinking on stream it started sounding really distorted like it's peaking. She never touched any mic settings and in obs she never goes past yellow. She has tried changing gain, noise gate, and compression with nothing helping. She did spill a drink on her headphones and PC where the USB is which I'm thinking is likely the issue. What part of her audio setup or mic could have gone bad to make it sound so horribly distorted? Am I right in thinking that the spill could have traveled up the USB and shorted or damaged the DAC or amp in her mic? She doesn't use any kind of dedicated preamp. Any support to save my ears is helpful.

Yeah, this is another one of the reasons I really dislike USB mics, if I added every thread like this to my gear recommendation half of it would be reasons why USB mics are a bad idea, now, as for shorting, USB has 4 connectors within it, two for power and two for data, it is possible to short the data lines to the 5V power line but no manufacturer would be stupid enough to design a system in which that would kill a mic... right??.......

Sloth

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

On 5/1/2020 at 9:55 PM, The Flying Sloth said:

Sloth

I got her to try switching ports and that seems to have fixed it. So it was a fried port