HDD not detected both internally and externally

Trentonxx

Hi,

I just assembled a new pc (specs in signature) and I borrowed a 3TB Barracuda HDD from the old one. this HDD has lots of years of service and in my old pc sometimes it would not show up (as if the sata cable was detatched) usually a restart would fix the problem.

when I installed it in my new system, (by Sata) it freaked out the file browser. it would take minutes to load, and then give error, opening disk manager would take ages. I got some prompt asking me to format the disk (NO!) and same behaviour happened when plugged from an external USB station. (Drive E:)

needeless to say, I have lots of data I want to recovery from that drive (Phone backups etc..) any idea where to start to get it readable again? how screwed am I?

thank you so much 馃槩

immagine.png.ccac8f97e1819be470b7413d9b83693f.png

immagine.png.2cfe0eeaa52da2ef4b51e0aae69ca2fc.png

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

Well ...that depends....

If the fault is with the SATA connection, then it depends on how hard it is to get a good enough connection.

If the fault is on the chip, plate or read head then you can be mucho screwed. Equipment for reading from such a drive is very very expensive.

8 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Well ...that depends....

If the fault is with the SATA connection, then it depends on how hard it is to get a good enough connection.

If the fault is on the chip, plate or read head then you can be mucho screwed. Equipment for reading from such a drive is very very expensive.

I might try rebooting some times until it finally read it (the external base makes things faster) or eventually plug it into the old pc hoping it would keep recognize it long enough for a copy (usually when moving large files it would crash in the middle and when refreshed my OS would simply say: can't find path -because the disk was offline- )

is there a way to tell which one is it? because I can still get the correct name of the drive from the bios, and I can "right-click, properties" on it (even tho it takes a long time to do so) so I hope maybe it's just missing the index? it does not make weird noise.

immagine.png.fa2ce85c6929db8923cc7998cbb215af.png

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

You can go for a SATA dock. It has an on/off button(if you have a separate system for doing it.). And, you need to go for data recovery as HDDs are not SSDs. It has moving and sliding parts. If you are able to get the data from it..it saves your day and a lot of bucks.

If you are really unfortunate with this...then you will have to invest a lot for data recovery plus you will have to go for a new HDD or if your budget permits...SSD.

it already is on a Sata dock at the moment.

I've found online about running "CHKDSK E: /F /R" from the cmd. hopefully that will help.. :(

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build: