Help me OC my 2070 Super?

NedCrash

Hi All,

I recently built a new rig on a semi-custom loop (Powerspec build kit in the 011d.)

- Asus z390 Strix-e

- i7 9700k

- Trident Z 3200 (32gb)

- EVGA 2070 Super XC

My first score in Time Spy seemed really poor and my first Firestrike was like 21134 or something. I enabled the AI OC in the ASUS UEFI and it pumped the i7 up to 5.1ghz. After the OC the Firestrike score bumped up to like 22660-ish (not looking at it atm.) I think both the CPU and GPU run a bit warm on this loop as it's one slim 360 rad with the Powerspec distro plate feeding the GPU first then into the CPU before hitting the rad. Under load they operate in the 55-66C range. The CPU hit 70C in Cinebench.

So now I want to OC the card, but honestly the Precision X1 software seemed terrible. None of my profiles would save and the scan took an hour. I uninstalled that and installed MSI Afterburner, instead. I ran the scan on afterburner and that brings me to really my first question: it gave me the result of "curve." I thought I was supposed to get a suggestion on the core clock "+" figure, but it just says "Curve." In the log it did say that the limiter was power, so I'm assuming I can crank that power slider up to over 100%, but I've never done this before so I'm not sure how all of this plays together. I see that I can open a curve window with ctrl-F7 but I really don't know what to do with this information. It seems more complicated than just adjusting sliders for mem and core clocks, power, and voltage.

Any help or insights into getting better performance out of this rig/card would be greatly appreciated. The only practical benchmark I've done was monitoring the system while in WoW Classic. I've got Classic pumped up all the way graphically, everything maxed out. The resolution adjust is on 183% and I'm running G-Sync. At the low point I was pulling 60 FPS in open world, and running 85-110 FPS in raid. This is at 1440 resolution. That just seems really low, FPS-wise for this system to me in comparison to others...

1 minute ago, NedCrash said:

I enabled the AI OC in the ASUS UEFI and it pumped the i7 up to 5.1ghz

what voltages are you pushing?

1 minute ago, NedCrash said:

None of my profiles would save and the scan took an hour. I uninstalled that and installed MSI Afterburner, instead. I ran the scan on afterburner

instead of scans, do some manual testing to get the best results.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Right on, let's see. I'll run some new benchmarks to put here before tweaking.

*The following is all from cold-boot*

So I'm looking at CPU-Z while running Cinebench again (looks like ASUS AI OC has already upped the clock again) and the CPU was running at around 5.2gzh at 1.38volts during that test. The CPU was pushing 68C during that test.

New Cinebench Score: 3914

New Firestrike Score: 22021 (Actually went down, last score was 22345...) [GPU pushed 45C and CPU pushed 50C]

• Graphics 26 246
  • Physics 20 834
  • Combined 10 380

New TimeSpy  Score: Crash, lol. The first TimeSpy FPS test BSoD'd with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

I'm thinking the AI got overzealous with the OC here. BSoD sitting at 50% and not moving. Hopefully this is just temporary and I can get in there to restrict it somehow...

Assuming I can recover the system, what you mention with ignoring scan and doing it manually, is it the practice of 10 core clock, 100 mem clock, 1% power, test?

Ok, recovered from that crash. Went into the UEFI and disabled the AI and manually set the cores to mirror at 50x so just a 5.0 Ghz OC.

2070 still at stock for these scores, no crashes this time:

Cinebench: 3791

• CPU - 67C
  • 1.29V
  • 5.0Ghz

Fire Strike: 22,514

• Graphics - 26,452
  • Physics - 20,085
  • Combined - 11,636

Time Spy: 10,019

• Graphics - 10,298
  • CPU Score - 8,689

So now to start manually OC'ing the 2070 with Afterburner, like I was saying is it best to do 10 core clock, 100 mem clock, and 1% power at a time and rerun those benches each time, or just use the Test feature each time? Or is there a better way to do this? Will it eventually become unstable like the CPU did and cause a crash? Thanks again for the help!