Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with Ryzen 3950X temps in a new build

Arrrtie

Hello!
I just finished building my first rig for 3D and animation, and the temps are a little concerning. I'm fairly new to hardware and PC building, so I apologize if I get anything wrong or don't explain it very well. In my previous i5 build I would have idle around 38c with a few apps running, (mostly Chrome) and stay under 70c while rendering in most cases. I knew to expect this chip to run a little hotter, but now I'm am idling at the low 40s (with nothing running except Ryzen Master to get numbers), averaging mid to high 50s with only a few apps running (mostly Chrome) and high 70s when rendering. My CPU Cooler cranks up super high (Im not sure how to check the speed under load), and the CPU jumps up to 100% for even the simple scene I was using as a test. I downloaded Ryzen Master and tried to learn more about power consumption and voltages, but it's over my head, so I was hoping someone could help me understand what I've done wrong. I'm super excited for this rig's potential and hate to see it get squandered because I'm new to PC building. I took some screen caps of Ryzen Master to show what I'm talking about, I'm pretty sure that those gauges shouldn't be maxing out like this for a very simple render, but I'm not really sure I understand what they are for. Screen shots are attached, thank you so much!

CPU: Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, BIOS Version 1408 (April 7, 2020)
GPU MSI Ventus Geforce RTX 2070 Super
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR4 3000Ghz Kits (Total 32GB)
Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Cooler: Enermax ETS-T50 ARGB
Fan Configuration: 6 Corsair LL120 RGB

• 3 Side-Mounted Intake
  • 2 Floor/Bottom Intake
  • 1 Rear Mounted Exhaust
  • 0 Top Mounted

idle.PNG

Iray.PNG

Your temps are fine.

The 3950X is much more powerful than an old i5.

If you want lower idle temps change your fan curve or buy a better cooler, but there is nothing dangerous about low 40s or 50s.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Your temps are fine.

The 3950X is much more powerful than an old i5.

If you want lower idle temps change your fan curve or buy a better cooler, but there is nothing dangerous about low 40s or 50s.

Thanks for the reply! That's good to know about the idle temps, but what about under load? How can I find out what is causing the CPU usage and temperatures to spike so much harder than before?

Those seem normal to me for that cooler on idle. Load temps are the important ones idles are meaningless

Just now, Arrrtie said:

Thanks for the reply! That's good to know about the idle temps, but what about under load? How can I find out what is causing the CPU usage and temperatures to spike so much harder than before?

High 70s is nothing under 100% load. The i9 9900K runs in the 90s usually and my i7 8th gen regularly hits 85

5 minutes ago, Arrrtie said:

There is nothing wrong with 70 degrees.

When you're in the 90s and 100s you should definitely be worried.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

70° is actually very cool. 

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Glad to know the temperatures are okay. I don't know much about adjusting the fan curves(I know where to go in the bios to do it, but not really what's best), but I will do some research. What about the PPT, CPU Power, TDC and EDC numbers? Shouldn't these be something less than 90+ percent? Or is that expected?

3 minutes ago, Arrrtie said:

Glad to know the temperatures are okay. I don't know much about adjusting the fan curves(I know where to go in the bios to do it, but not really what's best), but I will do some research. What about the PPT, CPU Power, TDC and EDC numbers? Shouldn't these be something less than 90+ percent? Or is that expected?

It's normal. Enjoy your CPU and stop worrying 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.
I found this post and i need to ask the same because i have this exactly CPU not on AIO but under NH-U12A Cooling and NFA14 fans
The first time i build this machine is giving me 45º temp on idle. Nowadays it never get lower than 64º idle. But in in the other hand; i do a lot of rendering work never reach above 73º. I am not to much worried about full load temps. 🙂 
It is possible to have lower temps on idle? I have been workaround with fan curves but never reach a good conclusion because cpu sits all day on this temps. 
Here is a post from Ryzen Master on Idle. Just running Microsoft Edge now

image.thumb.png.2f2f2729f7259557e291470049de8c00.png